Toilet Training!

f5scout

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We just got a 10-month-old F5 Savannah, and really wanted to train her to use the toilet. We've always had cats, and I've always hated cleaning the litter box.

So we bought Litter Kwitter, a super easy way to train. Scout loves water naturally--so maybe that helped in the training--but she went through all the steps in about a month, with only two accidents. I'm totally a believer!

We haven't been able to train her to flush :) so we see her deposits, and would notice if anything was wrong.

Both cat and human are happy!

Here's Scout using the toilet -- sorry it's a #2. 

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
It would be nice not to have to scoop litter any more. Unfortunately, I don't think this is an option for me. I might be able to train some of the cats, but I have one who makes a habit of falling into the toilet every time a guest leave the lid up. Just imagine the mess if she fell in after somebody else had used the toilet. :slant:

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My main concern with teaching a cat to use an actual toilet is that you can no longer judge urinary health based on output, since you have no way of measuring the amount of urine being produced.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My main concern with teaching a cat to use an actual toilet is that you can no longer judge urinary health based on output, since you have no way of measuring the amount of urine being produced.
That's difficult in a multi cat home anyway, and a cat with a UTI will still pee outside the toilet. Had mine trained before I had breeding cats, and no issues monitoring health. 

meeepcosy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey there! Recently we have also contemplated the idea of training Rasberry to use the toilet. I've always thought it was just too cute when I see cats do it, and as a bonus, I wouldn't have to clean the litter box every day. One of my main reasons for this decision was that Rasberry gets VERY excitable when on the litter box, even when she doesn't use it, she plays and scratches all the litter out. And then the sand gets on the carpet and we're only renting and it's just a really bad nightmare. So we read up on many articles concerning this topic, and read the many different (opposing) viewpoints. In the end, we decided against toilet training. I was scared that we'd be putting a lot of unnecessary pressure on her, and that as a result she would become too stressed out. We thought that we'd keep toilet trainign as a type of last resort, that we'll first try other ways of trying to get her to not mess as much.I had an idea that the litter box was too small for her liking (we were using the standard commercially sold litter boxes). So we bought a big ol' storage box, one of those ones where the one side is much lower than the other sides, and we've had no problems since. Therefor, no toilet training is needed. :) I am not against it at all, I love the idea, I just felt that we have to think the reasons WHY we wanted to do it, and if we wanted to do it because of her or because it will be less work for us. Her interests won in the end, and we now have a very happy, very satisfied kitty today. :)

In our specific situation, I' m still for the idea, but only after all other options have been exhausted. I still think it's a cute way to train your cats, and I applaud those who actually get it right. :)