Toilet Training For Adult Male Stray

Fluff Face Hudson

Fluffington
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Everyone,

I am hoping someone might have some advice on an issue I am having with our cat 'Fluff'.

Fluff has been visiting us over the last 6 months and was skin and bone. Back to full health we now know that he is about 3-4 years old, un-neutered and living as a stray. He has a lovely soft temperament and gets on very well with the resident 6 six year old neutered male cat that also visits us. Fluff now stays in for a little sleep every evening now that the weather is getting colder and everything is going in the right direction.

Every evening, my partner and I regularly go outside to our garden for a cigarette. Fluff gets up and comes out with us and waits to come back inside for food, fuss and a sleep.

Unfortunately, he doesn't 'pop-off' for a wee while we are outside. Instead, he goes to the toilet by our front door..

He has had a health check which showed him to be healthy and is due his 'snip' on 1 November.

We have put litter trays down with Catsan in them, but he happily prefers to wee on the newspaper surrounding them. We are now trying soil in the litter trays so will see how it goes..

I would really appreciate any tips or pointers you could offer as ideally we would prefer him to give us a signal that he wants to go outside..

Many thanks in advance!

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi! Don't know if this will help but we had a similar situation with Rocky. At first he didn't understand what a litterbox was and used a chair instead. I realized that when he was an outdoor cat I would often see him "doing his business" in my flowerbeds. All my beds were mulched with pine needles. So I got a few handfulls of pine needles and scattered them on top of the litter in the box. He began using the litterbox immediately. Every time I scooped the box I would add a few more pine needles and then after a week he used it without anything but litter. No problems for the last 7 years.
Thanks for taking care of this boy BTW!

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Neuter him. He is marking your house as his (which is why I'm all for neutering kittens by 6 months so they do not develop the habit of spraying.) Hopefully he will stop within a month of being neutered. If not, give up. Put metal siding where he sprays, anchor a piece of a thick branch to a nice concrete square (with maybe more concrete) so it won't wobble when he scratches it. Let him spray/scratch his branch to his heart content.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Fluff Face Hudson

Fluffington
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you both for your help and advice!

Fluff is being neutered on 1 November so his days of siring kittens will be over. Strangely, he has not sprayed anywhere in our home nor shown signs of aggression usually associated with un-neutered toms.

I firmly believe that all cats should be neutered as there are far too many others like Fluff out there without care or support.

I am delighted to report that he has started to get up from his comfy bed to ask to go outside, which I am presuming to mean he is using the great outdoors as his latrine. :-)

I shall keep you posted!

Any advice on his post-operative ('snip') would also be much appreciated!

He is the best little boy x