Tofu Litter

ZukoCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Has anyone ever used tofu litter? We just pretty litter right now, and I like the convenience of flushing the waste, but I feel like it hasn’t been trapping odors as well as when we first started using it and we have to dump and refill the litter box more often. Plus I’m noticing more dust and tracking. It’s still not as bad as clay!!! But was thinking of trying something new. If I can’t find something better, we will continue using pretty litter, it really does work better than other litters I’ve tried, but hoping I can find something even more effective for smells, dust and tracking.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ZukoCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much!!!! That is very helpful 😊

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I went over to it this last year. I’d always used clumping clay, but between the brand I used becoming more like gravel than litter, and the need for really good odour control in a tiny unit, I needed to change. Tried a couple of brands but the one I’m using now is an Australian one:

It’s actually pea fibre, with activated charcoal and bicarbonate of soda added. It’s expensive - AU$27 for 4.5 litres - but one bag lasts nearly three weeks for my two cats. It clumps very well and smallish clumps are safe to flush (I bin the bigger ones just in case). It doesn’t produce dust like clay, and the odour control is definitely better. It does track, but I always say if litter isn’t tracking it’s because your cat isn’t trying!

Cataria

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just ordered some tofu litter for my cats that I'm going to try out.

But important question -- is it truly flushable? The listing I got says it is, but I'm paranoid. I already murdered my plumbing by using a carpet scrubber near a litterbox and dumping the water in the toilet (admittedly, the litterboxes had clay litter in them), so I'm very worried about this.

Also, anybody know if the various brands listed on Amazon are safe? Was going to try this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09HQLBTNQ/?tag=thecatsite

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
But important question -- is it truly flushable?
Yes, it is but if it's a very big hard clump, let it sit in the toilet bowl for awhile and you may also spray some water over it and soften it so that it breaks up the hard clump and dissolve it faster and it'll be easier to be flushed off. Even if it gets stuck, a second flush should do the job. No problems with a smaller clump.

The thing is that you have to let it dissolve and soften then it'll be easier to flush off through he small opening in the toilet bowl. If it's a hard clump, it won't go through the hole.

Last edited:

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Also, anybody know if the various brands listed on Amazon are safe? Was going to try this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09HQLBTNQ/?tag=thecatsite
There are many brands out there and many comes in different scents. I find some scents are too strong and your kitty may not like it. As in my other thread I stated that I got one that is Natural scent and it smells milky and the other I got was Charcoal scent and it smells like some chicken feed. As this is also my first time trying out Tofu Cat Litter for my boy and that's why I tried these two scents.

So far, my boy is ok with the two scents. Also even they say it's dust free, it is not BUT it is much much much better than Clay Litter. Tofu pellets derived from powder and compressed into pellets and therefore, dust is still present. I think those that are vacuum packed has less dust remnants at the bottom of the bag as compared to the loose pack ones.

As you scoop daily, you raked through the pellets and as your kitty steps on the pellet, over time, dust is scraped off and falls to the bottom of the litterbox. So it is not 100% dust free and having said that, it is much much much better than Clay Litter even when your kitty is digging to pee or poo and their nose is very near the pellets, dust is not being kicked up like Clay Litter.