To bathe or not to bathe?

dcbby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone,
So I have read (and been told) that you don't need to bathe your cats at all, then I've heard that you only need to bathe them once or twice a year, and then recently I was told that it should be done monthly! Currently my six month old kitten, Chai, has been bathed twice in his life and since Duchess is now thirteen and is notorious for hating baths, I wipe her down with a damp wash cloth when I feel the messy little girl needs it. But as far as Chai goes how often should I bathe him? How often do you bathe your cats?
Additional details: Chai is a long haired cat who has a lot of allergies. And he seems to get irritated when something is stuck/on his fur.
Opinions appreciated! Thanks everyone :)

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I have all shorthair cats who keep themselves clean. The cats that I show get bathed before each show. The others don't get bathed at all -- unless they get in and roll around in the ashes while I'm trying to clean my woodburning stove. :rolleyes:

I've heard that some longhair cats tend to have greasy fur and need to be bathed occasionally, but can't tell you if that's for certain breeds or just individual cats. Unless you're showing cats I would say you probably don't need to bathe them just to be bathing them.

smitten4kittens

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think cats need to be bathed at all. Only if they got into something very dirty. If Chai has allergies shampoo might make it worse. I would just let them bathe themselves, and brush them regularly.

andrya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only time l bathed a cat was a kitten l rescued from a building site who had hardened clay between his toes. l had to put his feet in water until it softened enough to wash off.

Other than that l've never bathed a cat.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Personal choice, along with condition of the fur, some coats do get greasy

I wash mine generally once or twice a year, current show cats a little more.

But it's up to you, those of us who do bath them do so without trouble, with cats happy to stand and be washed - not at all stressful as some think.
Others feel cats clean themselves, so it's entirely up to you.

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't bathe any of my own cats, and I will only bathe the fosters if they come in dirty or kittens who get themselves dirty etc. For light cleanings though, I do prefer the pet wipes or the "waterless" bath spray.
No need to stress a kitty out unless it is necessary.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dcbby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the opinions everyone! I think that I'm just not going to bathe him unless he gets extremely dirty, like gets into something, because I am worried about his allergies.. Much appreciated advice! Thanks :)

my3grrlz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
as someone else said....it is each persons preference.

i actually clean my grrlz with waterless shampoo. i love to make them smell clean and it helps their fur to be soft. i will use it on each of them at least once a month.

i also make sure to definitely use it on them the day before i put Advantage on them. they get Advantage usually once a yr..since they are strictly indoor. i recently put Advantage on them all since Ivee was coming into our home. the litter she was with seemed to have fleas.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor girl will be very uncomfortable being matted, it pulls in their skin. She needs to be groomed properly and possibly shaved, and then daily grooming to keep her mat free

Never wet a matted cat, the coat needs to be tangle free before bathing or it makes the problem worse

Grooming, along with diet will get rid of the hair balls

Last edited by a moderator:

aaro

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I bathe my Turkish Van once a week, using only water. He enjoys the bath, and it helps to clean his fur, of which he has a lot, which can often gen greasy and dull when left to his own devices.

Now, I know you'll all say that this is an exception because he is a Van, but in my experience (extensive fostering) long haired cats tend to need (and sometimes, even enjoy) baths far more often than short haired cats.

kaiserin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have never heard of bathing a cat, unless it will be shown at a cat expo/fair or something to that effect. Strangely though, our cat seems to be enjoying water more and more, although not enough to go for a dip in it (not yet anyways!) I am told that is opposite to how most cats are, though I wouldn't know for sure..

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have both, 1 DSH and 1 DLH. They are almost 2 years old now, strictly indoors, and they have never been bathed. They get brushed and in the case of my Boots (the DSH orange tabby) vacuumed, regularly. They smell clean, and their coats are soft and shiny. One of these days going to get a video on here with Boots being vacuumed, he just loves it! Have owned cats all my life. Only baths I gave any of them were either for fleas, or in the case of my all white DLH who crossed the bridge years ago, to keep her white LOL.

jeanne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My senior kitty is overweight and has arthritis, so she can't reach her back and butt to do a really thorough cleaning. I sometimes put her in the sink and give her backside a good washing. With the other two, I just run a damp washcloth over them occasionally, concentrating on their faces and butts. They seem to appreciate it.

cindi406

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree with everyone here. It is a choice. I bathe mine every week and they actually like it because they are used to it. I have allergies and think this helps; just my opinion. I have many friends and family who do not bathe their cats. Their cats are not suffering and neither are mine. 

I just make it a habit to bathe them once a week and clean their ears, also. I have used the waterless shampoos if I have ever missed a week. They at least smell good. 

Totally up to you.

frappe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I bathed Java often when she was a kitten just so that if I ever needed to give her a bath as an adult, she would not be scared. Now we do a bath once every other month or so as a "refresher course". I think it is beneficial for a cat to accept baths to prevent them from becoming stressed out should they ever have to be bathed for whatever reason. The same goes for nail clipping, ear cleaning, brushing, etc.

natashajago

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My bengals love water and will bomb into the room if they hear a tap running or splashing. Always falling in the bath when im running one so get a bath regular haha. My moggies HAD to be bathed once cus we had to take them on a car jpurney n they pooed all over themselves "/ but other than that they kept themselvrs spotless!! X

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I've been wondering the same thing--if and when to bathe.  I bathed my last kitty ONCE when I first got her as a kitten because of the fleas.  She let me know very clearly she did NOT enjoy the experience and would not tolerate it again.