Tips to rescue a cat around my office?

Popnfrsh24

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey there,

So I have an orange tabby myself that I rescued from the streets about a year ago. We believed he was dumped, and it was relatively easy to snatch him up after leaving out cat food for him for a few days.

So, at my office back in late November, we were getting back from site at around 8 pm, and I noticed a black cat scurry from the parking lot and go into the back of another office building. He seemed like a pretty young guy, still seemed like he was growing, but I couldn't find him.

Fast forward to this morning...we had a slight dusting of snow last night, and a coworker noticed that there were paw prints in the snow. We have cameras on the outside of our building...and sure enough we found video of this same black cat just scampering around the back of our office at around 5 AM this morning.

I got a coworker who has wanted a black cat, so seems like the perfect opportunity for him as long as he doesn't actually belong to someone. Any tips on how to get him?

I'm thinking to use a cardboard box and cut out a smallish-opening with lots of blankets and some wet cat food in there. Maybe put some catnip in there as well. I was thinking a carboard box so that it has some sort of protection from wind and elements instead of just some random cage that has air vents.

any other suggestions? I am wondering since it looks like the lows for the next few days will be in mid 20s if wet food might not be a good idea cause it will get frozen!

I'm also guessing this might be a slow burn? he will come eat, maybe hang out for a bit, then leave once it gets light and people start coming. Maybe would have to do this for a few days so he knows where to get food? and hopefully the warmth of blankets will keep him there?

Also, is he in any danger in mid 20s at night? He seemed to be strutting around pretty comfortably on the cameras and didn't seem like he was in total distress. I would imagine hes been able to find some sort of regular "hot spots" in his time on the streets.

Attached is a picture of the kitty as well!

Thanks!

Attachments

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor baby! I would contact your local shelter and see about live trapping him, or buy one at a farm supply store like Tractor Supply. I got mine for 29.00 on sale. You could hang some circulars to see if he has a home around there, but if he does it wouldn't be much if he is wandering around in the cold. I hope your friend understands this might be a long-drawn-out process if he is a feral cat, even a dumped stray can take a while. It might be better to try what you said above and see just how tame he is, if he will come up to you after a while for food. I wish you all the luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Popnfrsh24

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
im a bit concerned about the live trapping, because im basically confining him to one place while its so cold out. at least if its a box he can stay and get out of there if it starts raining snowing and such

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
Put a blanket in the live trap and then cover the trap with a blanket, then a tarp. The blankets will keep heat in and the tarp will keep the weather out. As long as you're not putting it out and then leaving it for 24 hours, the kitty should be fine. Remember, he's already out wandering in the cold and snow and rain, so in the trap he'd at least be covered from the elements.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Try to trap when you have a chance to check the trap at regular intervals if possible. It may not be but he should be okay for a few hours in a trap as Mr. Meow Mr. Meow described. If you get him, come back and tell us so that we can give you advice on what to do once your friend has him. For starters, have a small room ready for him with a bed, litter box, and food where he can be quiet and safe by himself initially.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Popnfrsh24

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So we put tracking software on our cameras to get notifications if he ever shows up in the box that we set up...and nothing yet :(

I'm hoping hes just making the rounds in the office park and hasn't realized that theres a nice cozy home with lots of warm blankets and wet and dry food for him!