My old cat 13 plus

guy88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have an old cat. A tabby. About 13 or 14 years old. He was super active and wild as a small cat so I don't think he'll go to 20 as some Tabby's do. Hitting 14 or so means he's old. Recent the vet noticed lost weight and to check more isn't lost. He has kept his weight, but he walks fast rather than runs the last 18 months, his back legs not sprightly. Is this all old age and normal?

gitabooks

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We have an older lady cat who is around 16 at this point. Some of the signs you might see with age include decreased energy and more sleeping, arthritis (less able to run, jump, etc), hearing or vision issues, loss in fat or muscle (muscle wasting is common in older cats), dental issues, trouble grooming (unkept coat), and possibly even some "kitty dementia" such as yowling at night for seemingly no reason.
All that being said, senior kitties can do extremely well with a little extra care. A higher protein/fat diet can help compensate for their loss in fat and muscle (which happens because they can't digest their food as well at this age). You can talk to your vet about doing a tooth cleaning to help with dental issues. Regular brushing or even a gentle wipe-down or bath can help with an unkept coat. Arthritis can be helped with some pain medication (our Genny is on gabapentin), a heated bed, and steps leading to higher areas so they don't have to jump.

Some things to watch for in older cat include chronic diarrhea/vomiting (can be IBD related and require a diet change or medication), increased hair loss (hyperthyroid is unfortunately common in older cats), increased drinking and urinating (a sign of kidney disease which is super common in older cats), and heart disease and high blood pressure (vets check for these).

I've seen older kitties with weight loss and decreased energy make it to 20, so don't start worrying too quickly. : )

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

guy88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have an older lady cat who is around 16 at this point. Some of the signs you might see with age include decreased energy and more sleeping, arthritis (less able to run, jump, etc), hearing or vision issues, loss in fat or muscle (muscle wasting is common in older cats), dental issues, trouble grooming (unkept coat), and possibly even some "kitty dementia" such as yowling at night for seemingly no reason.
All that being said, senior kitties can do extremely well with a little extra care. A higher protein/fat diet can help compensate for their loss in fat and muscle (which happens because they can't digest their food as well at this age). You can talk to your vet about doing a tooth cleaning to help with dental issues. Regular brushing or even a gentle wipe-down or bath can help with an unkept coat. Arthritis can be helped with some pain medication (our Genny is on gabapentin), a heated bed, and steps leading to higher areas so they don't have to jump.

Some things to watch for in older cat include chronic diarrhea/vomiting (can be IBD related and require a diet change or medication), increased hair loss (hyperthyroid is unfortunately common in older cats), increased drinking and urinating (a sign of kidney disease which is super common in older cats), and heart disease and high blood pressure (vets check for these).

I've seen older kitties with weight loss and decreased energy make it to 20, so don't start worrying too quickly. : )
Thanks really helpful. I've included 11plus special food in his diet and really pricey 12+pouches every so often. They definitely help him a bit. His slowness I need to get used to. Heated bed sounds a good idea. He had quite bad hair balls last summer the vet says linked to old age too. So I give him a paste for that. I need to not worry too much but keep observing.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. I also have a cat who's around the same age as your cat, and she's also starting to show her age, with not jumping as much. and generally being less active. She has also been recently been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism, for which she is on medication.

As for general aging in cats, TCS has this article that you might find helpful:
What To Expect As Your Cat Ages - TheCatSite

guy88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. I also have a cat who's around the same age as your cat, and she's also starting to show her age, with not jumping as much. and generally being less active. She has also been recently been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism, for which she is on medication.

As for general aging in cats, TCS has this article that you might find helpful:
What To Expect As Your Cat Ages - TheCatSite
Thank you for the helpful information. Were there particular symptoms with your cat's hyperthyroidism?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you for the helpful information. Were there particular symptoms with your cat's hyperthyroidism?
In hindsight, I think her fussy eating, vomiting and weight loss, which I thought was connected to her longtime IBS related issues. But when she started to drink a lot of water, that's when I had her checked out, as it was completely new behaviour.

A google search will find lots of sites on the topic.
Here's one: Hyperthyroidism in Cats: Symptoms and Treatment

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have an almost 14 yr old male kitty who was also a wild child in his youth. Thankfully, he's reformed! Kitties are prone to arthritis as they age, just as humans are. Did the vet check for arthritis or talk about any arthritis supplements?

guy88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
In hindsight, I think her fussy eating, vomiting and weight loss, which I thought was connected to her longtime IBS related issues. But when she started to drink a lot of water, that's when I had her checked out, as it was completely new behaviour.

A google search will find lots of sites on the topic.
Here's one: Hyperthyroidism in Cats: Symptoms and Treatment
Thanks

IzzysfureverMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would not count him out yet. My first cat had kidney disease and lived a happy life until the age of twenty. You might want to try Cosaquin for arthritis. Hyperthyroidism is common in older cats so keep an eye out for that.IBD is way to common in cats these days.
Bottom line.... they can live pretty good happy lives twenty and beyond. We just lost a 21 year old a few months ago and she did well up until the last month when we started to see significant changes.

guy88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would not count him out yet. My first cat had kidney disease and lived a happy life until the age of twenty. You might want to try Cosaquin for arthritis. Hyperthyroidism is common in older cats so keep an eye out for that.IBD is way to common in cats these days.
Bottom line.... they can live pretty good happy lives twenty and beyond. We just lost a 21 year old a few months ago and she did well up until the last month when we started to see significant changes.
👍