Tips On Introducing My New Cat To Her New Home

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MarriedCrazyCatLady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh! I should mention that Abby and Mackenzie are technically my husband's cats. He got Abby at a shelter but did nothing in regards to introducing a new cat to a new place. Abby settled immediately in without a care in the world. Mackenzie was given to him by an ex-girlfriend and she did hide away a lot but eventually came to. I fell in love with them as soon as I met them and we were a happy little family. So, that's why I'm pretty new to introducing "normal" adopted cats to a new home, lol. :lol:

Etarre

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry for your loss of your beloved cat. As someone who also decided to adopt "too soon" after the loss of my first kitty, I can understand how the transition can be difficult, even if you know you made the right decision. I can say that once we were able to gradually build a new relationship with Juniper, it got easier, because once we got to know her, she was so very clearly a completely different cat with a brand new and different personality. I hope the same happens for you.

Juniper also hid in our closet behind an a/c for a few weeks while she was getting used to our home and us, and was quite skittish for her first few months. We were able to use toys to coax her out of the closet for short periods, and I also tried to visit her frequently during the day, talk to her, and give her a few pets if she'd let me. It helped that she was curious, and wanted to figure out what was going on in the other rooms when we were out there, and we put a cat tree in the living room that was hers that she could scent mark. It allowed her to watch us while feeling safe, since it was set against the wall so no one could sneak up on her, and we never touched her without her permission while she was up there. Maybe you could help extend her territory by letting her scent mark some items and then gradually moving them out of the closet and then out of your room? Maybe she was already doing something like this by pooping where she did.

Good luck, and please share pictures when you can!

MarriedCrazyCatLady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry for your loss of your beloved cat. As someone who also decided to adopt "too soon" after the loss of my first kitty, I can understand how the transition can be difficult, even if you know you made the right decision. I can say that once we were able to gradually build a new relationship with Juniper, it got easier, because once we got to know her, she was so very clearly a completely different cat with a brand new and different personality. I hope the same happens for you.

Juniper also hid in our closet behind an a/c for a few weeks while she was getting used to our home and us, and was quite skittish for her first few months. We were able to use toys to coax her out of the closet for short periods, and I also tried to visit her frequently during the day, talk to her, and give her a few pets if she'd let me. It helped that she was curious, and wanted to figure out what was going on in the other rooms when we were out there, and we put a cat tree in the living room that was hers that she could scent mark. It allowed her to watch us while feeling safe, since it was set against the wall so no one could sneak up on her, and we never touched her without her permission while she was up there. Maybe you could help extend her territory by letting her scent mark some items and then gradually moving them out of the closet and then out of your room? Maybe she was already doing something like this by pooping where she did.

Good luck, and please share pictures when you can!
Thank you so much for your insight. It makes me feel better that this is normal, but at the same time, it's a bit stressful in regards to "when" will she come to. I know no one knows this answer, so no use in stressing--but it's hard. And I've attached pictures of Abby (my Tuxie), Gracie when I visited her at her foster parent's home (they also had 4 kittens and they all hung out), and McLaren my lovely feral that's such a ham and super awesome.
IMG_1662.jpg
IMG_3372.jpg
IMG_3426.jpg

5starcathotel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm ok with with her "living" in your closet at 5, 10, or even 15 days.

But more than that, I think you need to start to challenge her boundaries......

Then will be time to move her food, progressively further and further away from the closet. You might even have to resort to getting a baby/pet gate, to block off the closet.

[Edit]: also be sure you maintain a routine. Don't just leave food out all the time, provide food in the morning and the evening. This establishes that "food is available now and for the next 30min, come get it!"

Last edited:

MarriedCrazyCatLady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm ok with with her "living" in your closet at 5, 10, or even 15 days.

But more than that, I think you need to start to challenge her boundaries......

Then will be time to move her food, progressively further and further away from the closet. You might even have to resort to getting a baby/pet gate, to block off the closet.

[Edit]: also be sure you maintain a routine. Don't just leave food out all the time, provide food in the morning and the evening. This establishes that "food is available now and for the next 30min, come get it!"
5starcathotel 5starcathotel - great advice. We're almost a week officially (technically, 8 PM tonight will be 7 days) in, and she has gained more confidence.

For example, she has been coming out of the closet, but only at night when we're asleep. Last night was the first time I've seen her out of the closet. Of course, she ran back in when she say me/when I moved. But from what I can tell (I pee 2-3 times in the middle of the night), she's mostly out of the closet during night ours, and stays put in the AM. When we're at work, I'm sure she comes out again.

I will move the litter box and food out more. And I do want to get her on a routine. The problem right this second is that I'll be out of town Saturday, returning Sunday night. And next week, we will be done Thursday and Friday (return Friday evening for 4th of July). So, I'm not sure if I starting the food routine now is a good idea.

Thanks for the tips!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
If I were you, I'd wait on both the feeding schedule as well as moving the dishes et al until a couple days after you get back. You being gone, and then returning will be a big enough change in things for her to deal with :)

You are getting to know her by now. If you don't think it's a good idea yet to remove access to a safe spot (the closet), don't do it. If, after you return, you decide to try this, watch her very carefully. If she stresses too much then it's too soon.

MarriedCrazyCatLady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi!
If I were you, I'd wait on both the feeding schedule as well as moving the dishes et al until a couple days after you get back. You being gone, and then returning will be a big enough change in things for her to deal with :)

You are getting to know her by now. If you don't think it's a good idea yet to remove access to a safe spot (the closet), don't do it. If, after you return, you decide to try this, watch her very carefully. If she stresses too much then it's too soon.
Good idea Furballsmom Furballsmom . I'll wait to push boundries after the 4th of July. It'll be 2 weeks then, so plenty of enough time to really get her used to her cave and gain confidence in her area. Thanks so much for all the tips/tricks. Hoping to reduce the hissing and swatting then too! :)

MarriedCrazyCatLady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
UPDATE: Things are more or less the same. Gracie has the time of her life while we're asleep. But the minute I move, she runs back into the closet into her hiding spot. She hisses less, but still does. The other day she did get my husband pretty good on the hand. But he's impatient (and brave), so he puts his hands closer to her when giving treats.

He was able to give her treats (close) today, and we decided to attempt to pet her with one of the claw thingys (her foster used it on Gracie, and she loved it). Anyway, that got a recoil back and a his, so no claw for now.

We're about to hit the two week mark on Thursday, and I'm not going to lie: I really would like my bedroom/closet back lol. We have a two story house, and ideally I want to leave the bedroom door open when we come back from our quick 4th of July trip Friday evening.

She, unfortunately, likes to play with her litter poop despite having a million toys to play with. So, if she wants to play with her poop--fine. Just do it downstairs where we have concrete/tile (not carpet). When I go to the bathroom, it feels like I'm walking on sand because there is so much litter all over our carpet.

Anyhoo, just worried about giving her full reign of the house because it seems like it may be too soon, but I really gotta get her out of our bedroom.

Thanks ahead of time for any advice on this.

MarriedCrazyCatLady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
UPDATE: It's been a month since we've had Gracie, and things are much better. She LOVES getting pets. However, she only likes getting petted when she can see/smell you hands, and doesn't like when you come on top to touch her head. She's still skittish, but overall much better.

Issues we have now: We opened the bedroom door and she's has complete freedom to go wherever. However, she really hasn't. We bought a cat tree, placed it on our bedroom (her basecamp/safe zone) and she scratched, crawled all over it. We moved that downstairs so she had something that smelled like her there. Next steps are to put a litter box with her used litter in there and attempt to only place food in there kitchen (where we feed our other cat). Hopefully this goes okay.

Speaking of other cat. We did the slow introductions (scent swapping and feeding with baby gate). Technically that went well because they can eat next to each other no problem.

The problem is when Abby (our Tuxie) is in our bedroom and walks by Gracie, Gracie attacks her. If Abby is just chillin near her, not a problem. It's when she gets too close to Gracie's comfort. I'm hoping this will stop somehow because Abby is 12, has dealt with this with our other (recently deceased) cat MacKenzie, and we're all (Abby included) just tired of it.

They don't have to be BFF, but I don't want Gracie swatting at Abby. I'm assuming she's swatting because Abby is in Gracie's safe zone, and I'm hoping she won't do it when she's more comfortable downstairs. I don't know. Just have to keep my fingers crossed I guess. But any tips are appreciated! TIA.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Honestly, because this is such a major safe zone (I'd let her have her tree back) and will be for a while yet, maybe keep Abby out. It isn't forever, just for now. I personally think you're rushing her, because until she comes out on her own, she will not be comfortable. You can only go at the speed she dictates.

MarriedCrazyCatLady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So she has gone downstairs a few times, but doesn't feel super comfortable down there is way more skittish. Should we just wait until she's more comfortable downstairs before we start feeding her down there? If so, I'm fine with that.

As for Abby, we do feed them together upstairs. Ideally, I'd like to feed them both downstairs and for her to not swat at Abby.

What's kind of annoying is that when Gracie comes downstairs, she goes to the open window (that has a screen). Our ferals go right on up and they are nose to nose and she's super chill about it; almost even playful. It's like, why can't you just be that way with Abby? lol.

That's why I assume she's swatting at Abby because of Abby being in her basecamp. I'm hoping once she comes downstairs more, she won't swat at Abby. And Abby can walk into our bedroom in front of Gracie and she won't attack. It's when I'm petting Gracie and Abby comes to get pets that she swats.

If I keep Abby out, when can I let her back in? As I said, they can eat a foot away form each other no problems.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That's why I assume she's swatting at Abby because of Abby being in her basecamp.
I think you're right on target :) and it sounds like you and the petting are included in her still feeling a bit territorially edgy, plus she doesn't want to share lol
In all seriousness, I'd guess she simply isn't confident enough to be ok being approached by Abby during those times.

I think you can let Abby back in when Gracie has reached the comfort level of not needing her safe zone.

You'll know, when you see she's not so skittish downstairs. I'd wait a bit, in the same thought, with the feeding downstairs.

I also think you've made enormous strides forward, and huge kudos to you !!

Last edited:

MarriedCrazyCatLady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you! And okay, I'll hold off on feeding her downstairs for another month to see what happens. Thanks for the advice as always. :heartshape: