Tips On Giving Kitten Medicine?

Mabo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,

My 6 month kitten was spayed 2 days ago. The vet has prescribed her with antibiotics but it is such a struggle to get her to take them twice a day. We hold her tight and give the medicine with a syringe which she hates! She scratches us, yowls and I am worried she will stop trusting us (she has a feral past and it took some time for her to trust us).

Previously I put another medicine (Kontil) into her food - she didn't mind eating her food with the medicine then however she isn't fooled by the antibiotics in her food. She hasn't touched her food and I am now considering throwing it out.

Is there any tips on how I can give her antibiotics twice a day??

Thank you :) :)

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm I know the fun of sneaking tablets in food..she seems very smart. Assuming it's a liquid, and it wouldn't be a huge amount, could you put that in/on some chicken/other type of fresh or cooked meat that might entice her more than her regular food?

ej x

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
try something stronger, maybe a bit of the sardine oil, or tuna. Just a bit

FunnyFaceFamily

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hold her by the scruff laying on the floor or a chair then syringe it in little by little making sure that you keep her head up and close her mouth after each bit. Stroke her throat in a downwards motion to encourage swallowing. I've had to do this with 5 kittens and their mumma the last week. It's not easy but it gets better. Good luck

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mabo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all so much for the tips! I'm going to try putting the medicine in tuna or a chicken piece first! If that doesnt work then holding her by the scruff it is ;)

lacy2000

Windy City Fosters
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You’ve just gotta do it fast. Even wear utility gloves if you have to. Get down on the floor and hold her under your arm with something behind you so she can’t back up. Then quickly put the syringe in her mouth and squirt it in. It’s all about speed. I usually hold the syringe in a fist with my thumb pushing it down.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is essential that she gets the FULL course of antibiotics, or any bacteria may become resistant if they only get a small dose, and infection from that bacteria will then be untreatable. That consideration is bigger than her being a bit cross with you for a while.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mabo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for your help - I think I am getting better at giving her the medicine. Someone in another post mentioned holding her by the scruff so shes standing and then giving her the medicine. Its an excellent trick