Tips For Evening Play With Blind Cat And Normal Sighted Kitten?

Minxrat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all. My cats are both indoor cats. I have Poppy, 15 months old, who has lost her sight and Milo, 9 months old, rude health and very bouncy.

Except in this weather. I need tips for playing with them in this god awful heat in the evening, as at the moment Poppy is up so much at night that I am having to shut them out of my bedroom after the first wake up, and I HATE that. The first night, she brought up foil balls and left them outside my door :(. They are lethargic during the day but the night time is cool so off they go (he is still kitteny tho so sleeps better).

She loves a dangly toy with a bell, the foil balls during the night and also a clockwork mouse but it doesn't run very well on carpet. He loves folded up crisp packets (yes, really) and catnip. But I can't get them to exert all their energy in the evening. Doesn't help that I don't have much either!!

I hate to say it but I'm looking forward to winter when they will go back to their brilliant sleeping habits and I can actually get more than two hours uninterrupted sleep but until then - any tips??

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So I'm guessing you are looking for things for them to do without you so you can sleep? Have you tried track toys? Maybe replace the normal balls with ones with bells or even the ones that squeak or chirp if you can find them. You could also try some of those door or wall hanging toys. I also have some success distracting the cats with puzzle toys, I have one that is a wood box (but you can easily just make one with a cardboard box, which I do sometimes too) with holes that I fill with toys and treats. Also maybe try giving them their evening meal in treat dispensing toys, you can even make cheap ones with toilet paper rolls.

Last edited:

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would look for interactive toys that make noise or ones I could add a bell to. Have you researched/googled playing with blind cats for ideas?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Minxrat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So I'm guessing you are looking for things for them to do without you so you can sleep?
No, no you misunderstand. My post says play WITH them. I want to play with them in the evening so I can give them a good playtime and wear them out. Stimulate them also. Poppy doesn’t have sight so her other senses need attention.

Sounds selfish, wanting to sleep but you know....essential. Poppy wakes me every two hours so I want to play interactively with them. They play quite happily in the small hours but I WANT to play with them. Don’t want bored cats!

Minxrat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would look for interactive toys that make noise or ones I could add a bell to. Have you researched/googled playing with blind cats for ideas?
Yes lots, and she LOVES a foil ball out of everything - we have over 40! But I want to play with them both in the evening. And she prefers the foil balls during the night. Brings them up to me, bless. They can play just them two or separate, but I want things to do together.

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ohh ok, well then, since she likes foil balls what about making a wand toy with foil balls? Maybe even add some bells to it if that would help. Also if you can find one of those squeaking or chirping toys you could attach a string to it to pull around too. What I do with my cats (none are blind though) is, rather then just sit with the teaser wand I walk around the house with it, the string and toy trailing behind me so the cats have to run after it. I also wonder if Da Bird toy may also work, it makes a flapping sound when you "fly" it through the air.

Minxrat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oooh yes I like the foil ball wand idea! And a pull around noisy toy - I’m going to look st kids toys now. Thank you!!!

I didn’t realise da bird made a noise - I’ll check that out. Milo is so easy to play with but it’s hard when they’re so different!

Here’s my girl with a foil ball :-)

Attachments

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
How about a remote control truck? They make their own noise and you can put food/toys in the back. Make sure to get a toddler age one since they have no small chewable parts. I used it with my little monster that destoyed "cat" toys in minutes.

Minxrat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How about a remote control truck? They make their own noise and you can put food/toys in the back. Make sure to get a toddler age one since they have no small chewable parts. I used it with my little monster that destoyed "cat" toys in minutes.
Hmmm yes sounds good. We have a clockwork mouse which doesn’t run well on carpet but a remote control car/truck may work. Luckily they’re not too destructive!!