Tips for Brushing Cats' Teeth

AmyTheKittyMommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm going to start brushing my cat's teeth, as he's got a bit of a case of gingivitis and stinky breath, and the vet recommended I do so. However, he hated it when I tried to introduce teeth brushing when he was a kitten, so unfortunately I stopped after a few tries. His brother is a little more cooperative, but he still doesn't enjoy it. I wondered what tips you guys had for how to get started brushing their teeth?
I know you can start by introducing their toothpaste and letting them taste it before moving to rubbing it on their gums, and then later introduce the toothpaste. I also plan on getting a cat grooming bag to help them be calmer and stiller while I try to brush their teeth. I know giving them treats, petting, brushing and praise afterwards will also be helpful. I just wondered what more I can do to help them be comfortable and calm and avoid having to wrangle a very wiggly, upset cat.
Also, I'm sure there are some brushes and toothpastes that are better than others- is there any you'd recommend or advise me to avoid? Currently I have a little brush that's got bristles like a normal human toothbrush, and a toothpaste that's chicken flavored so they'll like it better, but if there's a better brush or paste I'd give that a try.
Lastly, I've read that they make dental gels and mouthwashes that'll help with oral hygiene, and I wondered if those really help, and if so, what you'd recommend. I know they make things you can add to their water. I want to do whatever is best for my cats to make sure they have good, clean teeth. Does anyone have experiences with these kind of products?
Thank you :redheartpump:

syzygycat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The bag freaks out my cay more than the brushing. We ke-tt he brush near the cats food when they ate drop of toothpast at the far edge. We introduced to brushing very slowly after that, First time let them smell the bush while you holding him, move the mouth to expose the teeth. hold for a few seconds let go then feed them .Nexy day same thing but touch the brush to one toothbruh lightly for 2 seconds lightly, let him feed him, keep building up like that, Repeat a step if it didnt go well the previous day. Just do it every day. They get used to it as a daily thing, its scarier its its a surprise.

Best brush by far is the rubber ones that go on your finger, faster for you, less painful for them