Tips Brushing My Cats Teeth?

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat Elsa is very finicky about her teeth. She had dental surgery and needed stitches in her mouth. I want to keep up her dental hygiene but she hates it when I brush her teeth. She really hates this new round brush im using. It allows me to get the tooth paste all over her mouth.

I feel so bad she tries to stop me with her paws. I only brush her teeth for a moment. My goal is just to get the tooth paste over the teeth. Takes a few seconds.

Is there any way to get her to sit still so it can be over quick? My other cat understands that if she stays still it'll be over in a second. But elsa still hates it. Lol

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
In my experience it's really hard to train an adult cat to sit still for teeth brushing. I've had good luck with starting early with kittens, but never with adults. Maybe I'm just not doing it right, but I eventually gave up and started feeding raw gizzards instead. :dunno:

Pucks104

My boys!
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have been using a cotton swab to “brush” the boys teeth. I use Virbac C.E.T. Poultry flavored toothpaste and the Q-tip allows for gentle abrasion. Both of the kittens are still showing some gingivitis at the gum line though Louie’s has almost cleared and George’s isn’t as inflamed. I follow the brushing with a swabbing it Healthy Mouth gel.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
What is the easiest way to stock gizzards? :D I don’t feed raw so they are not on-hand. Do you get them fresh, local, frozen?

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
What is the easiest way to stock gizzards? :D I don’t feed raw so they are not on-hand. Do you get them fresh, local, frozen?
I just ask my local butcher to order them from a local farm for me. They are very cheap. I’ll usually get a pound and freeze them, and feed one per cat every couple of days or so.