Tiny 2 week old kitten

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi- You began this thread on the 9th,approximating their age at 17 days so roughly they are a little over 4weeks old,is that correct?

Under 4weeks are considered neonatal so they may or may not be ready to wean off formula- it's a gradual process of mixing wet food in with the formula and encouraging the little ones to eat on their own.

You will continue to adjust the formula to wet food ratio ,increasing wet food more & more ,little by little.

What exactly do you need help with?It's okay,we are here to help

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Salchicat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks a lot :sweat:

They just turned 5 weeks, so they should have been introduced to solid food today, but I started a little bit earlier because they bite a lot (my hands or the bottle's nipple) and I thought they were looking for food, however, as I said, they are not interested at all.

I was thinking about maybe changing brands? I've been giving them Royal Canin Mother & Babycat canned food, which is chicken and liver based, but Camelia may be allergic to that... Is there a way to know? I will try and reach my vet about it tomorrow.
Also, Narciso might have gotten sick because of it (not sure).

It's gonna be hard to decrease the amount of milk in the slurry, because the kittens are pretty weak sucklers and they do not eat out of a plate or my finger... Hopefully it's gonna change with time.

I also tried with kibble, no interest besides a few bites from Narciso (might have gotten sick by that?)

Finally, I don't know how to get Begonia to eat, she needs to gain weight! :(

HeyKat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Some kittens wean faster than others. Keep offering them the slurry on a plate, but then let them fill up on the bottle as usual.

Royal Canin Babycat Mousse is great, but it's very rich, so it may case diarrhoea. I'd introduce it slowly to the mix you're feeding them.

Have you watched Kitten Lady's video on YouTube about weaning kittens? It's very helpful.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Y'all are wonderfully well read and vigilant with providing your babies with all these nutritional foods..... BRAVO,I'm not ashamed to say I weaned my babies from formula to Fancy Feast kitten( chicken) and then introduced the seafood and science diet kitten kibble to free feed for year one... They go berserk for the FF kitten and I must say I've never had any digestive issues,allergies etc

Many years ago I used to breed and had lots of litters in the home- I only fed kibble(Eukanuba )back then but Mama taught them well,I'd mash their kibble up with formula and they were all set---- I dunno,all those babies went on to live long llives without heath issues .... I'm not too thrilled I ever started using wet foods ( around 7yrs ago)believe it or not

HeyKat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Y'all are wonderfully well read and vigilant with providing your babies with all these nutritional foods..... BRAVO,I'm not ashamed to say I weaned my babies from formula to Fancy Feast kitten( chicken) and then introduced the seafood and science diet kitten kibble to free feed for year one... They go berserk for the FF kitten and I must say I've never had any digestive issues,allergies etc

Many years ago I used to breed and had lots of litters in the home- I only fed kibble(Eukanuba )back then but Mama taught them well,I'd mash their kibble up with formula and they were all set---- I dunno,all those babies went on to live long llives without heath issues .... I'm not too thrilled I ever started using wet foods ( around 7yrs ago)believe it or not
I foster for a shelter, so I can only feed what's been donated by the public. Sometimes it's Royal Canin kitten mousse. Sometimes it's supermarket kibble softened in water. The goal is always to eventually get them onto kibble exclusively, because it's the most affordable.

The biggest difference I've found is that kittens are generally MUCH more enthusiastic about the "good stuff" and so they eat more. Most of the kittens I foster are very underweight when they arrive, so they can use the nutritional edge of a quality brand too.

But as they say for human babies, "fed is best." Give them the best you can within your means, and as long as they're healthy and gaining weight, they'll be fine.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with the above. They will wean to solid food when they are ready, some later than others. I always started them off by putting a tiny amount with my finger on their lips. then when they licked it off they usually enjoyed it. I would lead them to the plate and down to the food itself with my finger still dabbing tiny amounts on their lips. If they don't lick it off they are just not ready. There are bound ton be setbacks once in a while, you are doing a wonderful job, you will be blessed! Please continue coming here and keeping us updated!

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
I foster for a shelter, so I can only feed what's been donated by the public. Sometimes it's Royal Canin kitten mousse. Sometimes it's supermarket kibble softened in water. The goal is always to eventually get them onto kibble exclusively, because it's the most affordable.

The biggest difference I've found is that kittens are generally MUCH more enthusiastic about the "good stuff" and so they eat more. Most of the kittens I foster are very underweight when they arrive, so they can use the nutritional edge of a quality brand too.

But as they say for human babies, "fed is best." Give them the best you can within your means, and as long as they're healthy and gaining weight, they'll be fine.

Exactly,I've been considering going back to a Mars brand kibble for some time now and cutting out the wet -maybe do low sodium broths.....I'm very undecided on foods

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with the above. They will wean to solid food when they are ready, some later than others. I always started them off by putting a tiny amount with my finger on their lips. then when they licked it off they usually enjoyed it. I would lead them to the plate and down to the food itself with my finger still dabbing tiny amounts on their lips. If they don't lick it off they are just not ready. There are bound ton be setbacks once in a while, you are doing a wonderful job, you will be blessed! Please continue coming here and keeping us updated!
Yep,that's what I think too as I mentioned early on- they're just not ready,they'll certainly let you know when they are- lol

I always miss that stage though,when they start to lick and like FOOD Kittens have to be the cutest creatures on earth:zzzcat:

Salchicat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the advice, everyone :)

Things are not going great here though, or maybe I'm too paranoid?

It's so unpredictable whether they are going to eat on the next feeding or not... Camelia doesn't accept any flavor or brand of slurry (so I'm feeding her just milk), and I'm not sure if the other ones like them because they only eat some times (btw, will changing flavors or brands too much upset their tummy? A vet told me that it wouldn't, but it seems everyone on the internet advises otherwise).

They take turns on who drops in weight or doesn't add daily. :disappointed:
When Narciso was sick, he lost 41 grams in a day, but then gained 38 the next, and 50 the day after that! I think it was too much, because now he has added 1 and 5 grams...
The other day it was Begonia, then Camelia, and now Margarita :ohwell:
Despite it all, they are in really good spirits; playing a lot and sleeping well.

Raising orphaned kittens is hard! :lol:

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the advice, everyone :)

Things are not going great here though, or maybe I'm too paranoid?

It's so unpredictable whether they are going to eat on the next feeding or not... Camelia doesn't accept any flavor or brand of slurry (so I'm feeding her just milk), and I'm not sure if the other ones like them because they only eat some times (btw, will changing flavors or brands too much upset their tummy? A vet told me that it wouldn't, but it seems everyone on the internet advises otherwise).

They take turns on who drops in weight or doesn't add daily. :disappointed:
When Narciso was sick, he lost 41 grams in a day, but then gained 38 the next, and 50 the day after that! I think it was too much, because now he has added 1 and 5 grams...
The other day it was Begonia, then Camelia, and now Margarita :ohwell:
Despite it all, they are in really good spirits; playing a lot and sleeping well.

Raising orphaned kittens is hard! :lol:
It can be very hard with newborns and I think being paranoid cannot be helped- so no,I don't consider you " too" paranoid- it's a very crucial time and until you see more stability it is not unwarranted

As far as switching brands or flavors I truly think they are just not ready to be weaned BUT if you think you might want to TRY another then I don't see how it would hurt,they are not used to anything just yet because they are not eating regularly YET- I agree with your Vet and whatever works to encourage eating

Everyone has their own ways- basically though we all don't make abrubt dietary changes once those little metabolisms are used to something,see what I mean? They are doing well with the straight formula,correct? So that's something I wouldn't change unless that's giving you the problem

I'd be interested in Sarthur2 Sarthur2 opinion as well

Salchicat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks, I think for now I'll feed them all just formula (except Begonia, because she doesn't accept it lol) to see if they feed better and gain weight.
And then, maybe in a couple of days, I'll try giving them slurry on a plate

Salchicat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Or first, I'll wait for their opinion!

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks, I think for now I'll feed them all just formula (except Begonia, because she doesn't accept it lol) to see if they feed better and gain weight.
And then, maybe in a couple of days, I'll try giving them slurry on a plate
That's what I would do- perhaps a different formula for Begonia..... they've got to feed consistently and they are ready to wean when the formula is not enough to satisfy,ime you can pretty much tell when they are ready ....when you try again the consistency should be very little food to formula ratio,very gradually adjusting the ratio to more food vs formula

Yes,see the others opinions and don't be afraid to bug your Vets office if it helps ease your mind- you certainly want to be calm around the babies ahd not stressing❤❤❤

Salchicat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Why do they keep "randomly" losing weight?? I don't get it :bawling2:

Salchicat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Some progress was made though!
I accidentally spilled some slurry on my lap and Narciso licked it off, so I tried feeding him with my finger and it worked! So, the next feeding, him and Margarita ate from my finger and then I lead them to the plate :yess:
Camelia and Begonia are still very confused, but I don't blame them

HeyKat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How much do they weigh now?

Are they having any diarrhoea?

Salchicat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How much do they weigh now?

Are they having any diarrhoea?
Right after the last feeding (they typically lose wright between feedings, but add a lot after they eat):
Margarita is 458g (always been tiny)
Narciso is 565g
Begonia is 584g
Camelia is 653g

No diarrhea or other symptoms...

HeyKat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Right after the last feeding (they typically lose wright between feedings, but add a lot after they eat):
Margarita is 458g (always been tiny)
Narciso is 565g
Begonia is 584g
Camelia is 653g

No diarrhea or other symptoms...
Those are good weights for 5 week old.

I used to weigh my fosters before and after every meal, like Kitten Lady recommends. A vet nurse told me I was just stressing myself out over normal fluctuations, and recommended I just weigh them once or twice a day.

As long as there's an overall trend upwards, the hills and valleys don't matter too much.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Those are good weights for 5 week old.

I used to weigh my fosters before and after every meal, like Kitten Lady recommends. A vet nurse told me I was just stressing myself out over normal fluctuations, and recommended I just weigh them once or twice a day.

As long as there's an overall trend upwards, the hills and valleys don't matter too much.
Good advice-I agree
Salchicat Salchicat -I think you'll drive yourself to the brink of insanity weighing before and after meals- I csn remember crying my heart out with a litter of 4( 2days old) I took when their mother was killed,about 5 decades ago( my first rescue)- my very wise mentor looked me in the face & said" Stop it,you just stop it" and told me to weigh them once a day,everyday at the same time of day .I've been doing thst for half a century now