Time To Euthanize? 16-year-old With Congestive Heart Failure

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am very sorry to read this, but it seems that things do not look optimistic. You are the only one who can make the decision, and it sounds as if she has reached a point where you need to watch carefully for any indication that there may be discomfort. Cats are way more stoic than dogs when it comes to this, or maybe it is just easier to tell with a dog....it could be the survival instinct in the ancestors of cats. CHF has a tipping point where there is suddenly a crisis so you want to monitor carefully. Your concern for your friend at this time undoubtedly mirrors the love and care that you gave her during her lifetime.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kalico

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I understand. If she's not eating, looks miserable and the breathing gets more labored as she sleeps doesn't sound like a promising situation is on the horizon.
Whatever happens, :grouphug:.
I don't mean to get nosy or forward, but are you familiar with how the euthanasia process works, and what to expect (aka, have you been through this before?) If not, your vet will certainly give you all the information you need and what to prepare for, but sometimes talking it out a little with others that have experienced it can help.
:alright:
Hi Bruce,

I have a wonderful vet whom I actually got my cat from over 16 years ago :). He knows how anxious travel makes her and offered to do an at-home euthanasia when I decide time. He said it would involve a sedative and then overdose of anaesthetic.

Apart from this, I'm not sure what to expect.

And of course as soon as I starting thinking about euthanasia my cat went to sleep in my bed like she used to:(.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, Cali was still walking around, going to the box etc. He wasn't doing much else though, and I had to hand feed him to get him to eat at all. In the end, he went into respiratory distress, and died within minutes of us getting him to the vet. I wish we'd made a decision sooner and given him a more peaceful passing, but it can be such a hard call to make. My heart goes out to you and your girl :redheartpump:

I think it's always the hardest decision to make. I'm so sorry your girl isn't doing so well :( I think at this point, I'd be having a frank discussion with a trusted vet, and looking at what feels right. Above all, trust your instincts. You know your girl better than anyone. You will know when the time comes :hugs:
When Is It Time? - Making The Difficult Decision

kalico

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,

Thought I would update. My kitten's breathing worsened on Saturday and upping her meds has not improved it. It's laboured and she looks exhausted. She can still walk slowly and jump on the bed but it takes a ton out of her. I spent all last night with her, trying to cradle her head so she was in a position comfortable enough to sleep. I could coax her into a few bites of food this morning and that was it.

I think it's time but it's so hard. I'll be calling my vet as he said he would be able to euthanize her at home tomorrow or the day after. I'm not ready for this, but are we ever?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
No, no one is truly ever ready. I am somewhat surprised that she is able to jump up on the bed, even if it takes a ton out of her. Cats sure do have drive. I am glad she is at least eating some as well.

She apparently will go to the ends of the earth to be with you - so sad and so sweet at the same time.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,

Thought I would update. My kitten's breathing worsened on Saturday and upping her meds has not improved it. It's laboured and she looks exhausted. She can still walk slowly and jump on the bed but it takes a ton out of her. I spent all last night with her, trying to cradle her head so she was in a position comfortable enough to sleep. I could coax her into a few bites of food this morning and that was it.

I think it's time but it's so hard. I'll be calling my vet as he said he would be able to euthanize her at home tomorrow or the day after. I'm not ready for this, but are we ever?
You fought the devil for this cat. The battle may feel lost, but the war has been won because she's got someone that has her back that won't let her down in her worst hour.
Damn, damn, damn. We're never ready for this are we?

For pets, when we measure life (alive, breathing) vs. quality of life (happy, eating, active, interest and interaction with surroundings) this is where things (aka shit) gets real. It's not an easy decision to make. Sometimes they have a bad day and improve, sometimes they have a bad day and don't. It's a case by case thing, which is double damning because there's no good, reliable input.
All living things are fine....until they're not.
Whatever you and your vet decide, I'm sure it will be the right choice. You're obviously concerned.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
:hugs::hugs::hugs: I'm very sorry. I don't think we're ever ready to make the final decision. The more important question is, is your pet struggling? If (s)he is and her/his condition will inevitably worsen, (s)he's ready.

kalico

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
:hugs::hugs::hugs: I'm very sorry. I don't think we're ever ready to make the final decision. The more important question is, is your pet struggling? If (s)he is and her/his condition will inevitably worsen, (s)he's ready.
Since Saturday she went from manageable and still social to lying around next to her water bowls with little appetite. She doesn’t seem to be able to get comfortable enough to sleep :( I’ve moved all her stuff so it’s within her reach now but she’s moving slower than ever.

kommunity kats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The pet loss grief poem, ‘The Last Battle’ (one of the most well known of the pet loss poems), is a poem about that inevitable time we all know we have to face but secretly dread.

Written from the pets perspective it is one of the dog poems intended to quash and absolve all those inevitable feelings of guilt and doubt we all must face when considering and dealing with euthanasia.

You can never really avoid the feelings of guilt and doubt and wondering ‘did I do the right thing?’ as you will read in the ‘Stages of Grief’ pages on the following site, but hopefully this poem will bring you some comfort at those times. . . .

Grief poem – Dog poems - The Last Battle

kalico

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much everyone. I mentioned before but especially as none of my friends have pets and don’t quite understand, this forum has been such a support to me ❤.

My girl will be euthanized today at 5 pm at home. Currently laying beside her.

kalico

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Of course today she's having a "good" day and eating a bit and being generally cuddly. It's so hard not to live in the present right now - thinking "this is the last time we'll sit here, the last time I'll take this photo, the last time I stroke her cheek" etc. etc.

Thank you for all the kind messages <3

Weasel21

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There are always ups and downs, but you have to keep in mind that there is no avoiding the downward trend with heart failure; you just have to weigh the bad days against the good when you make the decision. Enjoy the good day with her and remember that you're saving her from any more bad days. Better a day too soon than a day too late. :redheartpump:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My girl will be euthanized today at 5 pm at home. Currently laying beside her.
Hi. I almost hate to ask, but did it go OK - all things considered - today?? Just want you to know that you don't have to stop posting, you can let us know how you are doing. :alright:

kalico

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Vet left an hour ago. Everything went as well as they could given the circumstances. She had a good last day, I literally cuddled her right until 5. Vet gave her a shot of tranq (she did put up a short fight... she’s my warrior cat) and she then fell asleep in my lap within moments, then he gave a second shot.

It was important to us that we euthanize her at home - she has a crazy nervous disposition and vet trips were always traumatic. Tonight my family and I sat in the living room while she passed in my lap.

It feels surreal, I haven’t stopped crying, but am remembering everyone on here who has gone through the same thing. House feels weird- empty... but I can also vividly picture her in her usual spots.

Will maybe post a photo and message later but right now I can’t bear to see any pictures. Just want to hang on to feeling her snuggle beside me. This will be the first night in nearly seventeen years I won’t have my girl at my side.

As always thank you for your kindness.