Tiki Cat wet food?

Raeohmar

Cat mamma to Blaze.
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,
My 5 year old torite has been having bathroom issues for a little while. Her poops have been loose with a little bit of bright red blood. I just switched her over to Dr. Elsey's dry food about 2 weeks ago, and currently feed her Royal Canin Digest Sensitive wet food daily. I am starting to wonder if this is all due to a grain allergy. This is one reason I started her on Dr. Elsey's, but RC still has grains in the wet food. I am considering switching her over to Tiki Cat because i've read a lot of good things about it and it's grain free. Any suggestions on which line of the Tiki Cat wet food I should try? She does tend to have a sensitive stomach and can be picky. All advice is welcome :)

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would say whichever one sounds like one she will eat, since you say she is picky. But it may not be the grains in the wet food, it might be the gums or carrageenan, or the fish, depending on which one you are feeding. I notice that loaf in sauce has salmon in it.

So, Tiki has pates, shreds, etc. in their different lines, and they have fish, non fish, etc. So just look for whatever your girl likes and try it out. It will take awhile to see if it's working or not. Several weeks in fact.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would say whichever one sounds like one she will eat, since you say she is picky. But it may not be the grains in the wet food, it might be the gums or carrageenan, or the fish, depending on which one you are feeding. I notice that loaf in sauce has salmon in it.

So, Tiki has pates, shreds, etc. in their different lines, and they have fish, non fish, etc. So just look for whatever your girl likes and try it out. It will take awhile to see if it's working or not. Several weeks in fact.
I agree with everything mrsgreenjeens mrsgreenjeens says here. The hard part is choosing what approach you want to take to the new food.

Our cats get finicky, too, and though they get tired of Tiki food... they later start eating it again. 🤷‍♀️ Cats! I think part of the problem is that TIki changes their recipes moderately frequently. In any case, I think I'd probably suggest starting with the After Dark line. The variety pack has five or six different kinds of chicken-based food. The Velvet and Aloha Friends pouches aren't bad either.

I'm glad you're changing your cat's diet. Our previous cat's first symptom of digestive issues was blood and loose poop; I think her problem foods were grains and fish. But every cat is different and, as mrsgreenjeens mentions, there are others things -- gums, carrageenan, agar-agar, potato, I could go on and on -- that can cause problems. The great thing about the Tiki After Dark foods is that the recipes are fairly simple, making things relatively clear if something fails for your cat.

Good luck!

Babypinkweeb

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi all,
My 5 year old torite has been having bathroom issues for a little while. Her poops have been loose with a little bit of bright red blood. I just switched her over to Dr. Elsey's dry food about 2 weeks ago, and currently feed her Royal Canin Digest Sensitive wet food daily. I am starting to wonder if this is all due to a grain allergy. This is one reason I started her on Dr. Elsey's, but RC still has grains in the wet food. I am considering switching her over to Tiki Cat because i've read a lot of good things about it and it's grain free. Any suggestions on which line of the Tiki Cat wet food I should try? She does tend to have a sensitive stomach and can be picky. All advice is welcome :)
I just wanted to let you know that it's possible the recent batch of Dr. Elsey dry food is off. My own cat has eaten bags and bags of this food and this recent batch (I bought mine in October) was different in texture and looks. My cat was less excited to eat it, and also started having stool issues similar to yours. Soft stool and bloody from the constipation parts. It seems a bunch of recent reviews of the food also say the same thing on Amazon and Chewy (the chicken flavor). The company replied and said there was no change in formulation so I'd considering stopping the Dr. elsey until it's confirmed to return to it's previous quality.