Thunderstorms and nighttime anxiety

lucentstreak

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm kinda stuck on this and need some advice. I adopted Hugo close to 1.5 years ago and we have quite a good relationship (he like to suckles on my t-shirts). We have feliway in the bedroom where I sleep and he dozes sometimes. He poops and pees quite regularly and his diet is a mix of 6 oz of wet and some Orijen through the day with a fountain bubbling away. I also leave the radio on whenever I am not around.

Now the crunch. It has been thunderstorming here the last few days and I found him yowling through the night whenever the thunderstorm warnings are up. He seems very restless and dashes back and forth - making it very difficult for me to sleep since I have the air conditioning on in the bedroom and have to open/close the door for him through the night and he dashing up and down the furniture to his familiar perch near the window in my bedroom. Last night, in his frenzy, he leaped onto my face and drew blood on my lip (despite me having trimmed his claws hours before).

I'm wondering if there is a way I can calm him down since we will be expecting some tropical typhoons around in the next 2 months and this is just the start of the summer rainstorm season. He has a crate but he doesn't sleep in it, he used to like to sleep in his cat tree but stopped in the last week or so.

I'm torn between calming treats (how long do they last) or changing his crate to something like the sleepypod atom (the other reason is that I am living overseas from my parents so I will have to move one day) or trying the thundershirt.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I'd go with a thundershirt (I've had good results from just a tightly fitted tiny dog coat but you may prefer to go for the real thing) and a cosy enclosed space.