throwing up food right after eating

Catmom1234567890

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We can't figure out why she is regurgitating food right after she eats. We feed small portions spaced apart. We give her 1 tsp every 30 minutes so we know she doesn't eat too much at once. She doesn't seem nauseous as she is asking for more food after she regurgitates. She even tries to eat whatever she regurgitated.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I have the same problem with my cat peaches. It happens in the morning. Feeding half her usual portion at 5 am helps using a food timer for wet. Also keep unopened cans in the fridge. Fresh she is more likely to eat fast. Pate she is more likely to throw up. I guess because it's denser than farmina because it's more like ground meat. She licks her food which is why farmina works better for her than pate

Last edited:

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
We can't figure out why she is regurgitating food right after she eats. We feed small portions spaced apart. We give her 1 tsp every 30 minutes so we know she doesn't eat too much at once. She doesn't seem nauseous as she is asking for more food after she regurgitates. She even tries to eat whatever she regurgitated.
Sometimes when the cats are hungry and they eat too fast, this will happen. When they eat too fast, they take in lots of air with the food and that's why they regurgitate almost immediately.

Of course, sometimes its due to hairball.

If this happens too often, maybe a vet's visit is in order.

Last edited:

Ashanti

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If your feeding dry kibble try adding some hot water and letting it sit to soften.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Catmom1234567890

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She eats wet and raw only. We give her small portions 1 tsp spaced 15 minutes and save the remaining portion as mid day snack

Ashanti

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay, that sounds similar to what I did for my boy though he refuses to eat canned food, so I did it with kibble soaked in water.

I'm sorry you're having to deal with this. It's rough having a sick kitty and no answers.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was thinking that perhaps you could use some kind of slow feeder or food puzzle toy, but I don't know of any of those that work with wet food. Perhaps one of those with fingers that hold the food, making the cat negotiate it out from between the fingers might work, but it would require washing it every time you fed her.

I have a scarf-n-barfer too. Just feeding him smaller, more frequent meals took care of the problem, in large part.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Catmom1234567890

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your input. I don't think she is scarf n barf as I only give her tsp of food every 15 min and just give 1/2 portion of 2.8 oz food. Somebody mentioned she may have narrowed lower GI due to inflammation. She has IBD and we cannot go through another endoscopy to confirm this. She nearly died from this procedure when the vet was trying to remove hairball past September. She also went through recent abdominal surgery to remove hairball from failed endoscopy procedure.

My vet doesn't think anything of it and told us to raise her bowl. We were doing this prior to our vets suggestion. She is a recent grad. She is very good in many other ways but I think she lacks experience.