Thread On Or In Cats Poop

solowars

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know the title sounds a little weird, but earlier today I was scooping the litter box and I found a short piece of thread around my cat's poop. After being horrified for a moment that she might have swallowed something dangerous, I realised the thread was sort of resting on the poop, and not tangled inside it, but I'm still scared that it might have come from her eating thread (and not something that just got into the litterbox, which is uncovered).

The short piece of thread was dry, lying on top of the poop, a little bit stuck to it because my cat's poop is a little squishy. This was earlier in the evening, and my cat just had a completely normal BM at midnight (that I broke apart to check, and all that was inside was fur). Anyone with cat eating bad things experience? If she had eaten it and pooped it out, it should be tangled with the poop right, instead of just touching it? I will admit to being paranoid about my cat's health, especially since eating foreign objects can be so dangerous for them, so any insight would help alot with my worries!

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
It's not surprising that some foreign objects that are not dangerous and can be easily passed out together with the poop. Some may get lodged in the system which is dangerous.

And you mentioned that the piece of thread is on the poop and not in the poop, could it be like the thread has come off from one of your clothings and landed there?

I know that while folding clothes after they are dried from washing, I sometimes find pieces of threads on the floor.
So if the thread is not tangled with the poo, guess it's an outside interference and likely not from your cat.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it was laying on the poop and not in it, I would have to assume it fell in there after the fact. I have a really hard time believing that a thread could pass thru the digestive system and not be even partially stuck in the poop or completely "dirty" even if it showed up on the outside of the poop.
I think you're safe on this one, but of course, keep an eye on any bathroom changes, eating changes, vomiting or lethargy just to be safe.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

solowars

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the assurance guys, I was thinking it doesn't look like it could've come from my kitty as it wasn't lodged in the poop at all, but it's also a great coincidence (but not impossible) that a stray thread could've gotten right onto it after she pooped.

She seems alright for now, ate, played and had a BM earlier, but I will keep a close eye on her to be safe!

Genesis123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There has been a very rare occasion that one of my cats pooped a thread (like a sewing thread), or even one of my long hairs :oops:. There haven't been any problems as a result. I'm always relieved that they did excrete it (and, hopefully, that's always the case). I just try to be careful -- picking up threads, floss, strands of my hair, etc., as I see them.