This Kitten Will Not Listen!!

ir98

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hellooo I am back for like the third time with another problem i'm having with the same kitten. He's about 4 months old and will not use his litter box he has used it but for only like a week and evey time he did I would give him a little treat BUT when he did use the litter box he only pooped in it but would never urinate in it, but NOW once AGAIN he wont use his litter box to even poop! I have literally tried everything from changing his litter, putting multiple boxes in the room, and putting him in the box just so he can get the idea of it. He is a hyper kitten who is always running around so i know he is not sick or anything. I dont know what to do and am starting to really get fed up but i dont wanna have abandon him. please any help would be appreciated.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ir98

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This article has some helpful suggestions: How To Train Kittens To Use The Litter Box

Have you tried using both a covered and uncovered litterbox? Are all the litters that you tried unscented?
The litter is unscented but the litter box isn't covered because i read articles that said they don't like covered boxes do you think a covered litter box will make a difference

ir98

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hellooo I am back for like the third time with another problem i'm having with the same kitten. He's about 4 months old and will not use his litter box he has used it but for only like a week and evey time he did I would give him a little treat BUT when he did use the litter box he only pooped in it but would never urinate in it, but NOW once AGAIN he wont use his litter box to even poop! I have literally tried everything from changing his litter, putting multiple boxes in the room, and putting him in the box just so he can get the idea of it. He is a hyper kitten who is always running around so i know he is not sick or anything. I dont know what to do and am starting to really get fed up but i dont wanna have abandon him. please any help would be appreciated.
and additionally every time i see he is about to go on the carpet i try to get to him so i can put him in the litter box but when i start walking towards him he'll get up and run and then not even go i am so confused and frustrated

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I have had covered litter boxes for at least two of my cats - never seemed to be an issue for either of them.

Of course, it could be that they didn't know any better, and aren't/weren't all that picky - idk. I just recently removed the lid just because my cat is now older and has arthritis. She didn't seem to mind that either.

So, it might be worth it to try - most of the lids on those boxes can removed (just like mine) if it doesn't work.

Disposable puppy pee pads might be an option also - one: to see if he would use that instead, and two: avoid some of the clean up that is needed now. If he would consistently use the pads, then one could be placed inside a low sided litter box to see if he would be willing to use it in there. If so, from there you could add a touch of litter, then more, and more again, until you could actually get rid of using the pads. This approach would also help you to determine whether the litter itself might have anything to do with his aversion.

ir98

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. I have had covered litter boxes for at least two of my cats - never seemed to be an issue for either of them.

Of course, it could be that they didn't know any better, and aren't/weren't all that picky - idk. I just recently removed the lid just because my cat is now older and has arthritis. She didn't seem to mind that either.

So, it might be worth it to try - most of the lids on those boxes can removed (just like mine) if it doesn't work.

Disposable puppy pee pads might be an option also - one: to see if he would use that instead, and two: avoid some of the clean up that is needed now. If he would consistently use the pads, then one could be placed inside a low sided litter box to see if he would be willing to use it in there. If so, from there you could add a touch of litter, then more, and more again, until you could actually get rid of using the pads. This approach would also help you to determine whether the litter itself might have anything to do with his aversion.
Aww hope your cat is okay :(( I will definitely try the covered litter boxes to see if it has an effect on him or not. I will also try the puppy pads in a litter box. Thank you so much for these tips hopefully one of these will work!