This is going to be one for the books! Transitioning Lucky, Bugsy and Hope to Raw.... Challenges Gal

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
03/06/12 -
Day 70 Late Night Dinner

Let me just say, right here, right now, that I absolutely, positively, 100% HATE, despise Kidney. Period.
If there is one negative in this whole entire diet, to me, is feeding kidney - that's it. I even take the vomiting on my Brasilian rug over preparing and serving that cr*p. Although, please, make that NOT kidney vomit :please:

As little as separating their meals for tomorrow - FROZEN - opening the ziplock bags and taking the pieces apart to make 1/2 portions...... That alone make my hands smell disgusting like pee. And there is not enough washing - the smell just lingers.
I don't know if that particular cow had a pee problem or what - but that is some serious pee stench, I tell ya. I wonder how these kitties are going to eat that - this thing smells like anything but meat - it smells like a dirty toilette. And I never caught any of mine licking a dirty toilette - that is a habit they do not have :nono:
We will see tomorrow.... I just hope they eat it fast.... I can't deal with this agony for very long....
I will serve the liver and kidney first, then the gizzards and chicken afterwards - this way they HAVE to eat the organs..... Will see..... If they are smart they won't eat it.... Frankly, I wouldn't :nod: But for the sake for the diet..... Let's hope they are not THAT brilliant :lol:

Anyways.... Late dinner today was Pork Trims - that is the best meal of the bunch - they love this meal - you put it in their plates, and it is gone in seconds :nod: Tonight was no different :clap:
Lucky also had pork bits for raw, tiny pieces... Covered with WL chicken. You guys remember when Laurie took Ming Loy to the vet thinking she had a convulsion? Yep - pretty much what pork gave Lucky tonight :lol: Twice. She tried to eat a couple pieces..... and they got stuck on her teeth.... oh the poor thing got so agitated but she was able to fish the pieces back with her paw and spit them off :lol3: She had two of those episodes..... But she did get over and tried to eat again - this time she tried to chew with her tongue :lol3:
I think she ate a few pieces- better than none for sure :bigthumb:

Tomorrow will be an interesting day...... Hopefully no diarrhea :cross:
Hope and Bugsy will have quail for the first time in the morning, without an introduction - hey, if Laurie does, why not us? :lol:
Then at dinner organs - I will make only 1/2 organs and 1/2 chicken..... not going full strength yet until next week :nod:..... and at night chicken hearts - they did fine with Duck, so I believe they will do fine with chicken too.... But regardless, I am doing 1/2 and 1/2 with chicken as well :nod:

I guess I need some vibes :vibes::vibes::vibes: some finger crossing :cross: and some of these

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I was thinking about that kidney after reading your horrific description of preparing it.  Did you do all the original preparation while it was frozen?  Could you next time (if you didn't).  That might make it easier.  As I recall, Laurie didn't have any problems with hers.  Maybe it WAS the particular cow your's came from.  Good luck getting your babies to eat it (I thought they already had some, and liked it...was I dreaming that...great, now I'm dreaming about YOUR cats
)

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was thinking about that kidney after reading your horrific description of preparing it.  Did you do all the original preparation while it was frozen?  Could you next time (if you didn't).  That might make it easier.  As I recall, Laurie didn't have any problems with hers.  Maybe it WAS the particular cow your's came from.  Good luck getting your babies to eat it (I thought they already had some, and liked it...was I dreaming that...great, now I'm dreaming about YOUR cats :lol3: )
I don't know what the problem was with my cow, but I guess I won the pee Jackpot :lol3: Disgusting :thud:
They did eat a little piece when I was preparing and gave a tiny taste to them..... Different from offering a full meal..... will see about it today..... :cross:

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
03/07/12
Day 71 Breakfast

Today is a total gamble...... and I am crossing all my finger and toes for no poop-o-meter disasters here :cross:
Lots of new things in the menu for these kids, in all meals.....
It started with Breakfast - Hope and Bugsy had Quail this morning. Bugsy dove right in - ate most of it with one sprinkle, and needed only one extra to finish it up.
Hope is quite shy of new things, I am learning.... unless they are tasty cut meats :rolleyes: She needed a thick sprinkle to start, quite a few to keep going, and only finished with finger-feeding.... Hopefully she will like this meat better.... I need a poulty meat in replacement for Rad Cat chicken for a meal a week..... I suppose I can try pheasant.... I don't know if they will like better....
Anyone had pheasant here? Is it less gamey than quail?

Lucky was served two dollops of Rad Cat turkey for breakfast, and ate one of them :clap::clap::clap: I am happy with the results!! Will be happier when she eats both of them, of course, but this is great!! The fact that she is eating already is a good thing!

Later in the menu for the carnies is the organs meal.... I am nervous as I can be..... of them not eating..... and of the results in the poop-o-meter..... I think both of them will get extra probiotics today just for good measure..... and mom will be praying lots too!
Oh boy......... Hopefully no disasters in this household! So far at least no puke.... Hope is a puker, and at least she is keeping the quail down - that is promising!

Last edited:

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, sounds like things went OK with the quail! :cross:

....as to the rest.... :cross: :cross: :cross: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:
Thank you :hugs:
Yeah, I need lots of these today for sure!! :lol3:

03/17/12
Day 71 Dinner

Well.... Dinner was interesting.....

Tonight Bugsy and Hope had a 2-course meal - yep, just like in a very fancy restaurant :lol3:
For appetizer: 1/2 of the regular qty of Beef Kidney :barf: and Chicken Liver, and regular qty of Chicken Gizzards; and the main course: Fresh Chicken.
Bugsy has become an avid carnivore - anything you put in front of that boy, he will just go for it - even the nasty kidney - no-problema :thud:

Hope on the other end....... She was confused to say the least :lol3: I swear I thought it was a hopeless situation - she would not eat no-matter-what :nod:
Gave a big sprinkle of WL..... nope..... Then she slowly pulled a piece of gizzard.... ate and spit it off :rolleyes:
She had to be fed every single bit of it by hand - but she did eat..... with quite a bit of effort whew!
Hopefully this will be an acquired taste! :lol3:

Both of them, needless to say were very happy to get the second course

Lucky Had 2 dollops of raw and ate one :clap::clap::clap: We are getting there! :clap::clap::clap:
She ate a nice meal of kibbles, but left some......

The poop-o-meter has been reset and is waiting for measurements :lol3:
:cross: that will be a mild disaster only...... nothing too scary :eek:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just catching up here tonight for the day :D WELL - that kidney story is making me :sick: :nausea: just reading about it :jaw:... :lol3: BUT it seems that the cat's were fine with it, especially Bugsy :rub: YEP - the :princess: Lucky and even Perla will eat anything by hand :rolleyes: HOW IN THE WORLD did you handle hand-feeding that kidney :shocked:. Just incredible what we will go through for our babies :lol2: Great job today for ALL. Even Lucky - she IS on her way back from the dark side - I can just feel it :winkblue: :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
03/07/12
Day 71 Late Night Dinner

Bugsy and Hope
had Chicken heart and chicken for dinner tonight..... Or should I say Bugsy had chicken heart and Chicken for Dinner tonight..... Hope had !/2 of her meal - the chicken :slant: There was nothing, absolutely nothing I could do for her to eat..... She just would not touch the heart! Weird, because she loved the duck hearts, granted, she didn't want to start, but once she did, she loved it..... This time, there was nothing I could do - the just clenched her mouth and would not open for anything - It was worst than me at the dentist! :lol3: She ate 1oz of Chicken, and I am sorry to say, she will be a bit hungry until morning..... She has to learn that if she doesn't eat..... well.... she won't eat :nono:

Bugsy had his hearts without a problem; just the last one I had to open and coat with WL - it was a big one and it kept sliding off his mouth the poor thing :lol3:

He ate the entire thing and the chicken too :high5:

Now Lucky!! For raw I cut tiny pieces of Fresh Chicken - 10 - and covered them with WL - I made them really small...... She ate 9 of them :clap::clap::clap: She had a nice meal, took a break, waited for me to do the dishes, and we went back for her to finish her meal - she is leaving a little kibble behind.... Soon I will tighten the belt on the raw :nod:

Now the poop-o-meter watch begins :paranoid:
I also need to change my schedule :lol3: I did not like the meal today..... It is too heavy on the organs/hearts..... Being that Dinner is organs and late night dinner is hearts..... I will need to change that for next week - this is big time a work in progress! :nod:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Carolina, first of all.... WTG LUCKY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 9 of 10 chicken slices? :woohoo:

On the hearts/organs... you might find it easier to set up your schedule the way I did. :nod: Commercial in the morming, heart or fresh meat & organ meal at dinner (split liver and kidney into separate meals, and fresh meat for the late night meal. It does mean that every dinner-time meal has either heart or organ, but it's an easy way to space them all out: two meals of fresh meat & liver each week; two meals of fresh meat & kidney each week, and three meals of heart each week, so MOST of the organ meals alternate with a heart meal. Something to consider!

And I don't have chicken hearts (yet), but most of mine definitely prefer duck hearts to turkey hearts. :dk:

Last edited:

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
03/08/2012 -
Day 72 Breakfast

Today started out very well, and turned out so so..... I hope it doesn't progress to be very bad :cross: You will see why in one minute.... :slant:

Breakfast for Hope and Bugsy was NM Lamb - It took quite a few sprinkles, but Hope ate the whole thing, and Bugsy left just a couple of bites......
Then Bugsy jumped on the litterbox and threw up his meal :barf:
While I appreciate his manners and consideration very much to not throw up in my Brasilian Rug, and actually have the respect to jump in the litterbox to :barf:, it worries me to no end..... Especially because Bugsy never, ever throws up his meals..... If he throws up, he throws up right before his meals, bile, because of acid.....
I don't think he threw up the whole thing - this was one bout - not like he had to take everything out of his tummy..... But my concern is that his tummy is unsettled.... I tried to give him HT Rabbit afterwards, which he loves, and he wanted none of it - took a few licks, and walked away :(

I will try to give him some fresh chicken in a couple of hours to see what happens :nod: Will balance the calcium with eggshells since it has no taste, and sprinkle his probiotics on it- :cross: he will eat!

No idea who used the poop-o-meter in the middle of the night, but whoever it was, was a white kitty - very hairy poopie....... and completely normal...... so that's excellent! :clap::clap::clap::clap:

Now, on an incredible note!

Lucky's raw was also NM lamb - and while she didn't eat much from her plate...... check this out:

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Not satisfied with attacking Hope's plate, she proceeded to attack Bugsy's :jaw:

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

She did this twice - as soon as I placed the plates down - she bullied Bugsy off his plate and went for it :eek: and then when they didn't want to eat anymore :shocker:

I think she is closer than we think!

Carolina, first of all.... WTG LUCKY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 9 of 10 chicken slices? :woohoo:
On the hearts/organs... you might find it easier to set up your schedule the way I did. :nod: Commercial in the morming, heart or fresh meat & organ meal at dinner (split liver and kidney into separate meals, and fresh meat for the late night meal. It does mean that every dinner-time meal has either heart or organ, but it's an easy way to space them all out: two meals of fresh meat & liver each week; two meals of fresh meat & kidney each week, and three meals of heart each week, so MOST of the organ meals alternate with a heart meal. Something to consider!
And I don't have chicken hearts (yet), but most of mine definitely prefer duck hearts to turkey hearts. :dk:
:yeah: I changed for something like that..... Although I will do the organs in one meal still....

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She did this twice - as soon as I placed the plates down - she bullied Bugsy off his plate and went for it :eek: and then when they didn't want to eat anymore :shocker:

I think she is closer than we think!
:thud: :thud: :thud: Look at that girl go!!!!!!! :wow:

And :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: for Bugsy! I hope it was just a passing thing..... :cross:

Carolina - any way this could be a hairball?

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:thud: :thud: :thud: Look at that girl go!!!!!!! :wow:
And :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: for Bugsy! I hope it was just a passing thing..... :cross:

Carolina - any way this could be a hairball?
Can you believe Lucky :thud: :thud: :thud:
And that's lamb!!! She always :barf: lamb! Not this time!! Keeping it down like a champ! :clap::clap::clap:

I think it might been acid for Bugsy, or just too much organs, new things from yesterday..... I just served him a meal of fresh chicken and he ate the whole thing :cross: He will keep it down!!! Chicken usually works like a charm in these situations..... Bland as it can be.... I was able to supplement it with eggshells and his probiotics, so we are good for the day :cross:
So far so good :cross:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Looks like Lucky is definitely on the right path now

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh Carolina, that's great on ALL fronts! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Looks like Lucky is definitely on the right path now :clap:
:clap::clap::clap: Yep! Great news on all fronts!!! Everyone is doing just fine here!

I have made a decision today.... I am taking Bugsy to a Holistic Vet on Monday to discuss his menu..... and of course I will take that along to all kitties :lol3::lol3::lol3:
I want to discuss his Calcium supplementation, Taurine, his obesity, the possibility of chewing bones with stomatitis and IBD.... and if so, an exact menu plan for these kids - no more guesswork - I want to work with a VET on this :nod:

And this is not just any vet.... it is a pretty famous one - I am so excited :hyper: He knows a lot about raw diets, and he is also the author of this book: Natural Healing Bible for Dogs and Cats - Dr. Shawn Messonnier, DVM
He has several books out actually..... The Natural Health Bible for Dogs & Cats, The Allergy Solution for Dogs, The Arthritis Solution for Dogs & Cats, The Natural Vet's Guide to Preventing and Treating Cancer in Dogs, 8 Weeks to a Healthy Dog and Unexpected Miracles: Hope and Holistic Healing for Pets.
The reason why I chose him is..... well... I don't really have many choices around here.... :lol3: There aren't many Holistic vets in my area - he is the nearest one, and as it is, pretty far, almost 20 miles away :dash: Not a good drive with Bugsy :doh3:
But when I checked him out I was SO happy he was the closest!! :clap::clap::clap:

I feel much safer doing it this way.... Sometimes I feel I am guessing things, even though I know the percentages, but I want to know FOR SURE.
I also want to know if Bugsy CAN chew on bones.... The exact qtys for calcium..... The IBD/bones danger, or lack there of.....
And a great menu for them.....
I want to know know know :hyper:

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh Carolina, that is SO exciting! :clap: :clap: :clap: :bigthumb:

I know your big boy won't be happy about the drive, but it'll be worth it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
FIRST OFF :woohoo: :dance: :banana1: :jump: :banana2: :party: LUCKY!!!!!!!!!! Look at that :shocked: Look's like momma is winning the "rounds" now - for sure :D :clap::clap::clap: I am so happy for you :hugs:

Sorry about Bugsy and the :barf: this morning. :( Sounds like the chicken was a good choice for dinner - glad he is feeling better :bigthumb:

I think that Holistic Vet and author must be incredible!!!! Looked up the books and think you are SO lucky that he is only 20 miles away. That is not far at all in my neck of the woods. BUT Bugsy will think 20 miles is WAY toooooooo far. You will probably be very happy with the knowledge you will come away with. OH take one of his books and have him autograph it :flail: Can't wait to hear about that appointment!! How exciting :clap::clap:

Last edited:

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh Carolina, that is SO exciting! :clap: :clap: :clap: :bigthumb:
I know your big boy won't be happy about the drive, but it'll be worth it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
FIRST OFF :woohoo: :dance: :banana1: :jump: :banana2: :party: LUCKY!!!!!!!!!! Look at that :shocked: Look's like momma is winning the "rounds" now - for sure :D :clap::clap::clap: I am so happy for you :hugs:
Sorry about Bugsy and the :barf: this morning. :( Sounds like the chicken was a good choice for dinner - glad he is feeling better :bigthumb:
I think that Holistic Vet and author must be incredible!!!! Looked up the books and think you are SO lucky that he is only 20 miles away. That is not far at all in my neck of the woods. BUT Bugsy will think 20 miles is WAY toooooooo far. You will probably be very happy with the knowledge you will come away with. OH take one of his books and have him autograph it :flail: Can't wait to hear about that appointment!! How exciting :clap::clap:
I know, right? I am so excited! :hyper:
I think he is going to be surprised with the amount of questions I am going to have for him :flail: I am going to ask E-V-E-R-Y-T-H-I-N-G under the planet :lol3:
This weekend I am going to work on a list, put all the foods and ingredients together for him, the meal schedules, his weights... Will also have Dr. Escobedo's office fax his records to him, so they have it there :nod:
Will ask about different Calcium supplements, about meats.... I want a good schedule for him.... If I am to continue to supplement him, I want to know I am doing it right - and if I am going to go bones, I want to know exactly what to feed him, how much, and that he is going to be ok eating it - both because of his IBD, and also because of his stomatitis.... I don't want him suffering, going through pain, chewing on bones if that's going to hurt his already sore sore mouth :slant: But if that's going to help..... AWESOME!! :bigthumb:
I also need to ask about dentals and raw, antibiotics and raw, tooth extractions and raw, what to do when he has teeth extractions, when he goes on a course of antibiotics, allllllll that :nod:
Yeah.... Bugsy will not like it at all - he never does..... He is not as bad as Lucky.... but boy, He complains!
Maybe he can give him some Bach Flower for the trip back :lol:
Unfortunately my insurance doesn't cover it - the holistic budget is only for chiropractor and acupuncture.... But..... I still think it is worth it - not cheap - quite a bit more than a regular vet's visit, but I figure not a regular thing, and I can use this knowledge for the three of them.... I rather do it now, in the beginning of this journey, than later :nod:

About Lucky....... Good news is that she ate ALL that lamb..... Bad news is that my fears got confirmed just now - I found out that she actually threw up that meal :bawling:
It was not dinner.... it was just too dry and didn't have pieces of meat - had to been breakfast.....
She has a history of throwing up Lamb :( I gambled.... and it confirmed that she really can't handle it.... Most unfortunate..... She did like it, and now she can't handle lamb, and she can't handle bones :(

But there are good news too! I will continue on the next post :bigthumb:

Last edited:

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
03/08/12 - Day 72 Dinner

Shall we start with the :princess: of the hour? Lucky! :clap::clap::clap: She is doing SO well!! I thought the day would never come when she would start eating raw again..... And here we are, making strides by leaps and bounds!
Tonight Lucky's raw was small cuts of Fresh Turkey legs - I made it small, but not THAT small.... I thought she would not eat any, as turkey is pretty chewy..... much more so than chicken..... Covered with WL, put it down and went to tend to Hope and Bugsy. Soon she knocked on the door announcing she was done
I opened the door, and :thud: there was one piece left - out of 7 :clap::clap::clap: She had eaten almost everything! She looked SO proud! Her chin was SO high! :clap::clap::clap: Cutest thing ever!
I gave her the kibbles, and she ate 1/2 of her meals - took her usual break, and ate the rest after a few minutes :nod:

Hope and Bugsy also had turkey legs for dinner - Bugsy ate like a champ - he has become the ultimate carnivore - it is cut meat, it doesn't matter what it is - you put in front of him, he eats it :clap::clap::clap:
Hope, who used to be my ultimate carnivore, is becoming finicky :rolleyes: Apparently she wants chicken and pork :nono: Oh, and of course Rad Cat Lamb :sheep:
She only started eating after I sprinkled a little WL on the top of it - she then ate everything with gusto.... I am ok with that..... ok.... not thrilled, but ok.

I need to decide what the plan with Lucky will be soon :nod:
I guess I will increase the amount of raw and decrease the amount of kibbles from now on, but I can't give both together for a long time, due to bacterial issues.... She is not on probiotics, as the raw part was too little to mix.... If I give her enough, then I can start mixing it now :nod: I guess tonight we start doubling the amount - lets see what happens!
For now, when the kids get ground, she gets ground - when they get cuts she gets cuts.... after all, she desperately needs some chewing with her dental issues :nod:
Let the fun begin raw peeps! :clap:

Last edited: