This evening I used a plug in air freshener for the first time in my home (vanilla bean and orchid)?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Fluff Face Hudson

Fluffington
Kitten
Purraise
I am worried about the chemicals in the product have an adverse effect on him so would appreciate any advice. X

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You'll get a lot of different opinions. Many people think air fresheners are dangerous no matter what. The MDS will say it's safe for household pets when used as directed. As long as your cat doesn't show any respiratory problems it's probably OK. But you might want to avoid it for your own peace of mind.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
As someone who is personally allergic to air fresheners (really anything artificially scented) I say stay away from them in general. I really don't understand why people have such an aversion to things smelling like what they actually are or wanting things to smell like what they aren't. I get them in specific situations or when something truly unpleasant is around but in general it seems like a pointless endeavor. Mostly because you get so used to the smell you stop smelling it so then you change to something else and it's this wicked endless cycle of spending money instead of cleaning or taking care of whatever it is you are trying to cover.... But again, I'm allergic to all those so I'm obviously biased simply because I can't so it doesn't make sense it me.

Personal feelings on the idea aside, there are a lot of chemicals in those things. Most of them are some sort of oil, heated and the scent is released (so to say) as long as it isn't vaporizing the oil and spurting it into the air you are just getting the smell. If you are using a diffuser or aerosol type one then there is a risk, if it's not spraying anything physically then it should be fine. There aren't enough particles in scent alone to make a difference. The problem with the ones which release mist or vaporize oils being that they can be inhaled into the lungs and/or licked if the cat gets it on their fur (directly misting or falling on their fur or them walking on the substances once they've settled on surfaces around your home). Either way you end up with the chemicals being injested or inhaled which means they can get into your cats system and cause harm. Most of these chemicals may or may not be safe; when you get down to it there are a lot of man made chemicals out there and we don't truly know what they do over time with low exposure. A little paranoid, I will admit, but to emphasize I can't use any of those so I have no reason to defend or justify them.

Since you are talking about a plug in diffuser I wouldn't use it. The particles In the air are tiny but they can cause problems, especially if your cat is indoors only and basically trapped with it 24/7. I'd go with a wax melt (out of reach of the cat!) or a mesh bag of potpurrie (also out of cat reach) if you want something for an air freshener. You can also make a simple home air freshener in any scent you want buy mixing baking soda with essential oil(s) of your choice, put it in a glass jar with cheesecloth or linen for the lid. Shake it to refresh or add more oil as needed.

CL56

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When I feel like smelling up the house I use a few drops of food flavoring in a pan of boiling water on the stove.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Sometimes you can get mulling spices at places like Trader Joe's and put those on the stove. Everything in those plug ins is a chemical of questionable quality when it comes to human or animal health. Same for room deodorizers and many other fragranced products. I don't use any of them. I am with Kieka Kieka in thinking that all of those products are harmful.