This cat was born without a front paw and I would love to adopt it. However... (pics available)

zoomeez

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone! I love cats and have had them around throughout my childhood. I currently live in a developing country and finally got the opportunity to adopt a cat but it's missing a front paw. I would love to adopt this cat but I read that cats without paws can easily injure the stump and have frequent infections, meaning they have to be taken to the vet more often which is something I really can't afford. Does anyone have experience with taking care of a cat like this? This is the first time I've ever seen a cat born without a paw and I have no idea what kind of care that entails but I really would like to adopt it.

Here are some pictures. It is 9 months old and female:

cat1.png

cat2.png

cat3.png

Any info is greatly appreciated and thanks in advance!

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Hi there! While someone who has more experience with special needs cats will hopefully be able to chime in soon, I was able to find this old thread about a kitten missing a paw: 3/4 week old kitten missing a foot. suggestions?

In the linked thread, the vet said to either leave it, or amputate the whole leg, the latter being recommended. The recommended course of action would likely vary from case-to-case, I would imagine. The kitten you’re considering adopting is quite a bit older, so that will likely come into play as well.

Sorry I can’t give any more specific advice, as I have never cared for a special needs cat before, but there are TCS members who have, so hopefully someone will write in soon with more info.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi and welcome! I don't have any experience with special needs cats either but I was wondering how long the paw has been gone. Was the cat born that way or was there some kind of injury that led to an amputation?

As far as injuring the stump, I would imagine that it would depend on how active the cat is. I think a more active cat would have more risk of injury than a couch potato would. Thank you for wanting to give this beautiful girl a home. I hope it works out.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have a GSD with only three legs; he lost one front leg to melanoma. In the case of amputation, the entire limb is always removed. So if your potential kitty had suffered an accident or injury to the paw it is very likely that the entire leg would have been removed. Amputations are never done leaving a partial limb. However, this cat was born that way and so has no concept that she could even have a fourth leg that would have reached the ground. My guess is that she has a high degree of adaptation to it and as such might live a very successful life in that manner. If you do adopt her, I think that one caution is that she be indoor only. She is at a definite disadvantage in climbing in an emergency and may not run as quickly if she were chased. I would not under any circumstances let her outside ever.

Mr. Meow Mr. Meow will probably be around eventually.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been in a position to observe a cat that lost a front leg for several years. He has survived extremely well. He cannot jump up very well but he is a tough, sweet kitty. The truth is that any loving creature can run into issues. Being born without the leg is somewhat easier for the kitty than having lost it later. Special needs can require a bit of caution but I am thinking this little cat has adapted quite well. I hope you can work out the details and give this kitty a loving home. Definitely an indoor only kitty but if you place everything needed at ground level or slightly above, I am thinking you will have a happy life together. The shelter should be able to give you an idea of kitty’s capabilities and possible problems that have had to solve. Good luck to you and that beautiful kitty!

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
Without knowing/seeing how she moves, I can only give my best guess.
It is true that cats walking on a stump can cause pain, open wounds and infections IF they spend most of their time on a hard/rough surface. Because this was a deformity from birth and not a wild amputation, the chances of there being pain are pretty low, but it does not rule out getting an open wound or infection.
If you can afford it and can do the after care properly, I'd recommend looking into having the whole leg amputated. She's 9 months old and has plenty of time to adjust to a perfectly normal life as a tripod. Even more so, as she grows, her remaining front leg will strengthen to accommodate her new life. It would, in the long term, effectively prevent any possible injury to the deformed leg, which could become costly in the future and even lead to a full leg amputation anyway.
Even if that's not your final decision, it can't hurt to look into this option.