Third Eyelid Showing

Emb.1996.03

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
About two weeks ago I took my cat to the vet for his annual checkup/shots. Everything was fine and the vet wasn't concerned about anything but about a week later my cat's third eyelid became constantly visible, covering about half of both his eyes. It doesn't seem to bother him and his eyes don't look irritated or watery. He seems to be eating and drinking and wanting to play. There were a couple days during that time where he had some loose poops but overall not too bad. It's not unusual for him to hurt his eyes but it's lasting a bit longer than usual. Has anyone ever had a similar experience?

Attachments

SiameseMummy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Third eyelids showing is a sign of a health problem and can't be ignored.

It seems often to be linked with digestive issues or parasites. As his third eyelid is showing in both eyes its more likely this that eye issues but I'm not a vet, just guessing! One vet told me it can just be a general sign they are feeling under the weather :dunno:

My boy had this once and it ended up being severe gastroenteritis that had him hospitalised for three nights - but he also wasn't eating, had terrible diarrhoea and had spiked a fever so I don't think it's the same here given your description of his behaviour.

I would suggest ringing your vets to see how to proceed, they may just prescribe a wormer and probiotics or they may want to see him in and may also want a stool sample.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Third eyelids definitely indicate he isn't feeling well. He could have feline herpes, could have caught it from the vets. Call your vet and report this, it could possibly be a reaction to his shots too. Ask if you can start him on L-Lysine, it stops the reproduction of the Herpes virus. I get mine as treats on Amazon. They won't eat that 'paste' that comes in a tube. Has he been sneezing at all? Are eyes goopy? Was he wormed at the vets too? You can ask for that to be done while you are there. as long as he is eating and drinking that is good, I really suspect a reaction to the shots and that should be on his record.