Things You Didn’t Realize Were Bothering Your Cat At First?

Mango the Maine Coon

Big Kitten
Adult Cat
Purraise
:hellosmiley:
Just trying to get an idea of why Mango hates my room..
Things I’ve tried:

• keep his food and toys in that room so he’s obligated to come in and eat
•I’ve tried various room temperatures, •Tried to create positive association with treats and play in this room
•I’ve made several different kinds of cozy hideouts and climbing areas
•laid on the floor so he could come up and smell me without being intimidated.

and yet he doesn’t ever settle in here and just lay down next to me like he will anywhere else in the house. Before someone says its because I’m trying too hard and cats can tell when they’re being lured somewhere, know that another thing I tried was just letting it go and not trying to get him to like it, and that was not effective.

I’m so confused/curious, and yes...some cats are just weird.. but this is the 1 thing he does that I can’t trace back to some actual reasoning and it bothers me to no end.

Is there a chance he just doesn’t want to share a territory with me and maybe I could try feliway as a last resort before giving up and accepting this behavior as part of his personality ?:heartshape:

Would love to hear some things that you didn’t realize were bothering your kitty:angrycat:

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Cats have their own ideas of comfort and space. My two will sleep in my room either on my bed or on the cat tree for a few weeks at a time. Then they will sleep elsewhere for a few weeks. Then they will sleep with me again. Sometimes both, sometimes one. It doesn’t mean they don’t like my room, they just want to sleep elsewhere. My Moms cat doesn’t like to spend more then a few moments in my room and then only when my Mom is there too.

I don’t think something in your room is bothering your cat. Your cat just doesn’t feel as comfortable in there as other places. I would imagine that it wasn’t the first room you kept him in? He likely feels more comfortable in that first room and his comfort branches out from there. Give him time and he may eventually feel as comfortable in your room.

Etarre

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Are there any weird or unpredictable noises in this room that aren't happening in the rest of the house? When we first brought Juniper home, it took her a week or so to adjust to being a city kitty and get used to all of the street noise we get in our apartment. She was also really intimidated by the various noises our radiators make-- the ones in each room have a slightly different, intermittent noises that startled her. She has very good hearing, and uses it. When she plays, she knows the sound that each toy makes and comes running when I pick up her laser pointer (not a toy you'd normally think of as noisy). She is also easily distracted by noises, and runs to the window every time a bird chirps.

Can you watch Mango closely when you do manage to lure him into the room to see what he reacts to?

Although we put Juniper in our bedroom during her introduction and it was her first 'safe space' when she moved in with us, it did take her some time to emerge from the closet, which she claimed as her territory, and to explore the rest of the room. She was also very shy about getting up on our bed at first, and had to work up to it in the middle of the night with very quick visits for several weeks before she felt comfortable actually staying for more than a few minutes. It's only after 4 months that she'll actually sleep there. So there may well be something to your theory about Mango being shy about invading your territory. I'm not sure that cats understand our invitations to share, and I'm guessing it's that they're being polite, as much as that they're intimidated by us or our scent.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mango the Maine Coon

Big Kitten
Adult Cat
Purraise
Are there any weird or unpredictable noises in this room that aren't happening in the rest of the house? When we first brought Juniper home, it took her a week or so to adjust to being a city kitty and get used to all of the street noise we get in our apartment. She was also really intimidated by the various noises our radiators make-- the ones in each room have a slightly different, intermittent noises that startled her. She has very good hearing, and uses it. When she plays, she knows the sound that each toy makes and comes running when I pick up her laser pointer (not a toy you'd normally think of as noisy). She is also easily distracted by noises, and runs to the window every time a bird chirps.

Can you watch Mango closely when you do manage to lure him into the room to see what he reacts to?

Although we put Juniper in our bedroom during her introduction and it was her first 'safe space' when she moved in with us, it did take her some time to emerge from the closet, which she claimed as her territory, and to explore the rest of the room. She was also very shy about getting up on our bed at first, and had to work up to it in the middle of the night with very quick visits for several weeks before she felt comfortable actually staying for more than a few minutes. It's only after 4 months that she'll actually sleep there. So there may well be something to your theory about Mango being shy about invading your territory. I'm not sure that cats understand our invitations to share, and I'm guessing it's that they're being polite, as much as that they're intimidated by us or our scent.
You definitely could be on to something with the intermittent noise theory, I have a heater in just my room that plugs in, it has a thermostat so it does turn on and off intermittently.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Yup, I agree with Kieka Kieka , they are like nomads. They move around and sleep or lie down wherever they think it’s comfortable for them. You may buy a cat bed and thinks your kitty will like it but in your kitty’s mind, he’s thinking ‘What?! You want me to sleep in that?’ :lol: Next you find them sleeping in the most uncomfortable place which is cozy for them.

Laying next to you is showing you that he’s your lap cat. Not all cats are lap cats like climbing on your lap and snuggle. As long as wherever you are doing your work, they lie near you, that’s your lap cat. And whenever your kitty does that, please praise him.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with the above comments, esp. that many cats like a variety of sleeping places depending on their moods, but I also would like to add another option.

One thing I forget about frequently is the sensitivity of a cat's sense of smell.

Sometimes a particular laundry detergent, a fabric softener, a perfume, hair products, anything like that, can make a kitty choose another place to hang out. So, that might be a possibility?

Last edited:

ailish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yup, I agree with Kieka Kieka , they are like nomads. They move around and sleep or lie down wherever they think it’s comfortable for them. You may buy a cat bed and thinks your kitty will like it but in your kitty’s mind, he’s thinking ‘What?! You want me to sleep in that?’ :lol: Next you find them sleeping in the most uncomfortable place which is cozy for them.

Laying next to you is showing you that he’s your lap cat. Not all cats are lap cats like climbing on your lap and snuggle. As long as wherever you are doing your work, they lie near you, that’s your lap cat. And whenever your kitty does that, please praise him.
Hear ya with the cat bed. The cat bed I bought is about the only thing (along with the cat scratcher I bought) that Ailish will not even mark. New clothing reeking of manufacturing chemicals? No problem, instant love. New bed I washed twice with double rinses? "What is that thing and what does it have to do with me???"

duncanmac

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You definitely could be on to something with the intermittent noise theory, I have a heater in just my room that plugs in, it has a thermostat so it does turn on and off intermittently.
Electric motors and their whirrs and hums drive cats crazy. It took my cats a month the get used to the air conditioner and they avoid the dishwasher at all costs.

Also, your room is absolutely full of your smell - the bed, the clean clothes, the dirty clothes, your shoes and where you walk and sit. That might be part of the unrest.

kissthisangel

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Definitely think that low grade noises you can't necessarily hear might be a factor here too. Maybe you have electrical equipment that sings a high pitch, or next door has a television that humms. Maybe they have a teenage kid with a fridge in his room, the cats have EPIC hearing. Don't take it personally, just enjoy the time you all do spend together elsewhere in the house.

One of mine hates the hoover but is fine with the hair dryer, the other hates the hair dryer but is fine with the hoover. Both of them are fascinated by the washing machine. Mojo Occasionally likes to listen for the boiler to kick in and then runs at it sideways, throwing herself at it like she's in a wrestling match. It's quite the sight since it's on a thermostat and kicks in and out.

I think another thing to consider is the layout of the areas in your room. Go and get down to Cat level, are there escape routes, can they confidently enter without feeling trapped? do they have to pass your normal spot directly to enter and exit, what's interesting? Do they have anything that is "theirs" in your room? I don't mean something you've put up for them, I mean their own bedding, to spread their scent. Also do they have access freely? if the access is only available when you are present it might take alot longer for your cat to explore this area, cats can be fussy in entering a new environment, try leaving the door open all the time, and put used bedding in the area you have built up for them.
Using a long wand play toy to lead them in and out of your room may help their confidence with the door way as well and remove any "your area" "my area" issues.

Mango the Maine Coon

Big Kitten
Adult Cat
Purraise
Definitely think that low grade noises you can't necessarily hear might be a factor here too. Maybe you have electrical equipment that sings a high pitch, or next door has a television that humms. Maybe they have a teenage kid with a fridge in his room, the cats have EPIC hearing. Don't take it personally, just enjoy the time you all do spend together elsewhere in the house.

One of mine hates the hoover but is fine with the hair dryer, the other hates the hair dryer but is fine with the hoover. Both of them are fascinated by the washing machine. Mojo Occasionally likes to listen for the boiler to kick in and then runs at it sideways, throwing herself at it like she's in a wrestling match. It's quite the sight since it's on a thermostat and kicks in and out.

I think another thing to consider is the layout of the areas in your room. Go and get down to Cat level, are there escape routes, can they confidently enter without feeling trapped? do they have to pass your normal spot directly to enter and exit, what's interesting? Do they have anything that is "theirs" in your room? I don't mean something you've put up for them, I mean their own bedding, to spread their scent. Also do they have access freely? if the access is only available when you are present it might take alot longer for your cat to explore this area, cats can be fussy in entering a new environment, try leaving the door open all the time, and put used bedding in the area you have built up for them.
Using a long wand play toy to lead them in and out of your room may help their confidence with the door way as well and remove any "your area" "my area" issues.
I’ve really been thinking that he might feel trapped in this room how can I make it flow better?

kissthisangel

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
well, you can try giving him some higher spaces, like shelves that lead back out down to the door, or if you don't have cash to do that right now making up box runs might be acceptable. Link lots of cardboard boxes together going around the whole perimeter of the room, and then build up from that so that he has a couple of areas to peek out of the box den. You can also look at the furniture, make a run under your bed for example. Use his scent in any corners by grabbing and swapping out used bedding. I love how committed you are to spending time with your cat <3

Mango the Maine Coon

Big Kitten
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update:

It was the heater!!!

I don’t know if he didn’t like the sound of it, he didn’t like the heat of it, or if he didn’t like the smell of it(relatively new, good quality indoor heater but it does give off sort of an electrical appliance smell I’m really not sure how to describe it.

He didn’t immediately respond positively to me switching it off but after a while I guess he realized it wasn’t gonna turn back on. Last night he was in his hideout when I went to bed and then I woke up to him slowly walking around and exploring my bed!!!
:hyper::yess:

This hasn’t ever happened in the 8-9 months I’ve had him!! He never comes up onto my bed and if placed on it he would immediately walk to the side and jump down every time. It’s the only thing about his personality I’ve always been bummed about and it was my own fault with the heater..

Since then he’s been doing all of his naps in my room and also hanging out in there any time I’m in there. I seriously thought I was doing something good by having the room warmer because this corner of the house I guess has poor insulation or maybe gets hit by wind directly, so it’s colder in here at night. I can’t be 100% sure that this heater is what was keeping him out of my room but it sure seems like it so far. I feel really bad that I inadvertently made him uncomfortable in my room especially because his food is in here. He eats perfectly fine no issues, but was probably uncomfortable:(

Thanks again for all the suggestions im super happy with the outcome:catlove:
and Mango is even happier :runningcat::dizzycat:

:thanks:

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cats can hear the crazy high frequency of a laser pointer. If I block the light so nothing comes out but turn it on they will immediately start looking around for it. Likewise when they are playing with it and I turn it off they stop right away but if I just shine it somewhere else but keep it on they will continue to look for it. Electrical things often emit hums. The makers only care about it if it is in our hearing range. In comparison to a cat our hearing range is a bit pitiful.

Etarre

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Congrats on figuring out what was bothering Mango, and enjoy all the snuggles you're now getting!