They eat so much when on high quality food

kirk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When we first got our cats they were eating friskies (or something like that). I left them on that food for a month before transitioning them over to different food. We tried Go!, Natural Balance, Blue and Natures Variety. They ate sooo much of it, probably more than the friskies. We were going through a 11-12lb bad every 2 weeks. Then we switched them to PC Nutrition First Adult Chicken & Brown Rice and they eat a 8lb bag a month. Tried switching them back to a higher quality food and once again started eating 11-12lb bags every 2 weeks. 

What's up with that? I thought they are supposed to eat less on a good quality food, not double what they were eating. Buying $60 bags every 2 weeks plus wet food is a bit much. (The stuff they eat a lot less of is $15 for 8lb and stats below). 

Chicken meal, chicken, brown rice, dehulled barley, oatmeal, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols – source of vitamin e), potatoes, natural chicken flavour, whole dried egg, herring meal, salmon oil (source of dha), tomatoes, brewer’s yeast, phosphoric acid, whole sweet potatoes, whole carrots, whole blueberries, whole cranberries, whole apples, dl-methionine, potassium chloride, calcium sulphate, salt, choline chloride, taurine, vitamins & chelated minerals (vitamin e, vitamin c, niacin, inositol, vitamin a, thiamine mononitrate, d-calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin, vitamin k, beta-carotene, vitamin d3, folic acid, biotin, vitamin b12, zinc proteinate, ferrous sulphate, zinc oxide, iron proteinate, copper sulphate, copper proteinate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, calcium iodate, sodium selenite), probiotics (lactobacillus acidophilus, lactobacillus casei, enterococcus faecium, bifidobacterium thermophilum), chicory root, yucca schidigera, dried rosemary

CRUDE PROTEIN(MIN)32.0%
CRUDE FAT(MIN)18.0%
CRUDE FIBRE(MAX)3.0%
MOISTURE(MAX)10.0%
ASH(MAX)7.0%
MAGNESIUM(MAX)0.1%
TAURINE(MIN)0.15%
OMEGA-6 FATTY ACIDS† (MIN)2.8%
OMEGA-3 FATTY ACIDS† (MIN)0.3%

parsleysage

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe it tastes better? Hopefully someone will come along with more advice. I would say, though, it sounds like you're free-feeding. I would recommend moving to scheduled feedings, giving them a set amount and when it's gone, it's gone until the next feeding time. You can control how much they eat (and their weight, if that's an issue) much better that way! Might be more cost efficient. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kirk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
None of them are overweight, they are all great weights. We use to do scheduled feeding and we had trouble keeping the weight on two of them. They are nibblers, always have been. So I'd rather not go back to that. They get wet food at certain times through the day, but the dry is always out and they seem to do best with that (weight wise). They won't eat beside each other so feeding them all in different rooms multiple times a day is a pain in the butt (when you also go to school, work, have babies). 

I don't know if it's taste or not. Some flavours (anything fish) they will not touch. 

picklespepper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have small kitties too so I also have been leaving dry kibble out during the day.  That stinks that the more expensive stuff isn't lasting as long for you.  I think cats are individuals so maybe the PC brand is good for your guys?  I just think it doesn't make financial sense to buy the quality stuff if they are ripping through it that much faster.  The stuff you're buying doesn't look that bad for what you're paying.  There are more expensive brands with less impressive ingredients (still can't get over Science Diet or Royal Canin charging $30 for corn gluten meal). 

With our old cat I did notice the stereotypical difference between the cheap stuff and expensive stuff.   Our new kitties I've only tried a grain-free kibble and neither is really crazy about it so haven't eaten much of it.  They used to get the generic brand at their old home but they were underweight when I got them so I don't think they like kibble in general.  I have to feed largely canned food.  

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think they're eating "less" of the lower quality food because it has more fillers so they're getting full off carbs, not protein. You might try something higher quality like Acana or Orijen, IMO those are high quality kibble, the ones you mentioned are "good" but not high quality IMO. 

lucentstreak

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hmm... There is still carbs in the dry food. Just from personal experience, Hugo sometimes get brown rice in his wet food and I find that he gets hungry earlier than say grainfree wet food (alas, he has no liking for merricks). Also, you did not mention how old your cats are - kittens tend to eat hell lot more.

With a can of 6 oz wet daily, Hugo, my 18 month old munches on barely 15 grams of orijen a day.

picklespepper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hmm... There is still carbs in the dry food. Just from personal experience, Hugo sometimes get brown rice in his wet food and I find that he gets hungry earlier than say grainfree wet food (alas, he has no liking for merricks). Also, you did not mention how old your cats are - kittens tend to eat hell lot more.

With a can of 6 oz wet daily, Hugo, my 18 month old munches on barely 15 grams of orijen a day.
That actually makes sense.  I mean, when I eat pasta or rice I'm hungry again shortly afterwards unless I eat some sort of protein with it (ie. cheese or meatballs).

lucentstreak

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes... For the OP, I can't help noticing that the top few ingredients in the kibbles you listed

Chicken meal, chicken, brown rice, dehulled barley, oatmeal, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols – source of vitamin e), potatoes, natural chicken flavour, whole dried egg, herring meal, salmon oil

These are kind of fillers as opposed to Orijen's Cat and Kitten (It's the cheapest Orijen I can find here)

Boneless chicken,* chicken meal, chicken liver,* whole herring,* boneless turkey,* turkey meal, turkey liver,* whole eggs,* boneless walleye,* whole salmon,* chicken heart,* chicken cartilage,*

Which is mostly meat - so this might explain the cats eating more.

picklespepper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
In the end I think you need to do what makes the most sense for you.  My cats usually eat less of the grain-free varieties but not all are the same.  $60 every two weeks is a lot of money. I couldn't swing that either.  So far I've been spending about $40 a month on grain-free kibble ($20 every 2 weeks) for two kittens.  

When they eat less of the kibble are they eating more of the canned food?  I'm wondering if they're getting their calories there now.  Either way, I don't think the PC brand sounds horrible.  I am a little perplexed about why they are eating more of the cheaper stuff as that goes against the argument for the premium foods.  But what can you do?

sweetpea24

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Go! Is an excellent food. I prefer it over Acana and Orijen because their foods contain some fish. Go! Does too but their Fit and free has a tiny amount. Acana and Orijen are good foods ; just not what I would feed. Withgo! You don't haveto feed as much because of the high nutrient content asopposed to fillers.

katlady1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I feed my cats, ( all three of them) Orijen, I switch between the 3 flavours, Regional Red, 6 Fish and the Cat & Kitten and never spend more than $50.00 a month for all three of them, I give them WERUVA wet food once a week as a treat. I  always leave food for them as they are grazers.  The Orijen is high protein and no fillers or by-products so they are getting real food and not fillers or by-products.

try Orijen and start with 1 cup twice a day and add or subtract on how they are eating.

Good Luck.