Therapy Cats

adventuregirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When my dad was in hospice they asked if he would like to have a therapy dog come and visit. There was a local organization for therapy dogs that teamed up with hospice and volunteers would bring their dogs to visit. Come to find out that although the organization was called therapy dogs they also had some cats. My dad liked dogs but loved cats so it was really special that they had cats. Most areas have therapy dog organizations that handle all the liabilities and what not. If you have a cat that you think would be a good therapy cat call your local therapy dog organization and see if they will take on a cat! The worst they can do is say no. Even if they aren’t interested they probably will be able to tell you how to go about being legal.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When my dad was in hospice they asked if he would like to have a therapy dog come and visit. There was a local organization for therapy dogs that teamed up with hospice and volunteers would bring their dogs to visit. Come to find out that although the organization was called therapy dogs they also had some cats. My dad liked dogs but loved cats so it was really special that they had cats. Most areas have therapy dog organizations that handle all the liabilities and what not. If you have a cat that you think would be a good therapy cat call your local therapy dog organization and see if they will take on a cat! The worst they can do is say no. Even if they aren’t interested they probably will be able to tell you how to go about being legal.
So glad to read your post and know that your dad was able to have this good experience. And your suggestion is so welcomed, as cats are far and away the most beloved companions worldwide and they help people to feel better and be stronger, emotionally as well as physically, by their presence!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Desertmouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That is such a great idea for anyone who has a travel loving cat! I wish Sadie was more adaptable for things like this