The "what's On Your Mind?" Thread -2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
One thing I thought was always very sad is Virginia Woolf died just a few years before lithium was rediscovered as a mood stabilizer.

While looking up dates, I found out something new. 7-Up had lithium in the original recipe, and it was marketed as a cure for hangovers and lifting the mood following a night's drinking. They didn't remove it from the recipe until 1950.

Edit: The History

arouetta

Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, so results from the "don't try this at home" science experiment is in. Apparently carbonate prevents lithium from reacting to water. It did nothing but turn the water white.

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
I've heard that even regular glasses block some UV rays, which gives slight protection against cataracts. Idk how true that is.
Some spectacles are coated with anti-UV stuff but I think you have to ask for it. With regular sunglasses you have to check before buying what kind of protection they have.

debbila

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My boyfriend and I are going to Vegas for two days to celebrate our third anniversary. I've been there once for a convention but didn't have time to do anything fun. This time I'll get to see a couple shows and eat at the buffets. Uh oh, there goes some of the ten pounds I lost! :scale:

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
Yesterday I woke up to old lady cat Bebe having goopy eyes. Being a Persian with a really flat face it is always dirty looking from the tears running down and oxidizing. But this was different, her whole face was smeared with this goopy, pussy looking mess and her eyeballs were red and one eyeball was covered with that goop. I cleaned it up as well as I could but she still looked like a candidate for the vet. Off we went, not a peep of complaint the whole way out of her but she did pee into the carrier and she always stinks.
The vet did not find anything serious beyond a slight infection in her eyes, prescribed some eye drops to clear up the infection which she accepts with just a blink of her eyes. She's such a good girl until it comes to combing her fur as she will bite if I hit a snag. Poor baby does not have front claws so she uses her teeth as a weapon. Again, for those who don't know: she came to me without claws at the age of 11 and now is almost 18.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Whee, cocaine and lithium in their soft drinks! Life was either really fun or really not fun (if they needed that stuff) back then.
And let's not forget Green Mountain Asthma powder, which was mostly marijuana! My mom used it when she was a kid.

Hi newbie here, actually i really miss one of my cats, he has been gone missing almost a week.. i hope he will be back
Hi, I'm so sorry your cat is missing! Be sure to start a thread in the Cats S.O.S Forum for advice on finding him, and post here New Cats on the Block to introduce yourself and your cats to the community. In the meantime, WELCOME TO TCS!

Waiting on the police to get here. There was a big fight behind my apartment a couple of days ago, and they want to talk with me about it. I didn't see all of it, but I sure heard it! Two women, going at it hammer and tongs.

arouetta

Top Cat
Purraise
I have re-awakened a monster.

Midway seems to like hanging out with me when I'm on the computer. Due to "acute" pain that just isn't going away I needed better arm support than my teeny desk offered I moved my computer into the dining room.

Christmas made it necessary to move one of our living room chairs into the dining room to make room for the tree, which came down last week. The chair was right next to the table, right corner angled, so the front was close enough I could reach over and pet Midway without moving from my chair.

So last week the chair went back into the living room, and Midway seemed upset. I texted my husband, who did this without warning, and he texted back to move the chair back for Midway. No, we don't plan our lives around the cats. Again, acute pain, I couldn't. Since the chair was next to a bay window I stole some pillows from the kid's room, piled two thirds of the stuff in the bay window in a corner of the dining room and made him a bed in the bay window. I can't reach over to pet him, but he's thrilled with being able to snooze and look out the window.

So the monster.

Today there were little girls, I think ages 3-5, running up to the window to look at him. This went on for several minutes. They weren't harassing, they clearly were just trying to look at him, so I grabbed him and took him outside so they could interact with him a bit. They were scared, I guess either they don't own pets or one of them had a bad encounter with a cat, they kept saying "I'm scared" as they ran close and then far back. Poor girls thought they would get bitten or scratched. I had been really worried that Midway might run off as he used to like to play "catch me if you can games" but this time he simply munched on grass the whole time.

He started acting a little odd, like the little girls' movements and squeaky voices were stressing him, so I ended up taking him inside. Two of the three girls did end up petting him a little right before I took him in, but he ignored their touch.

I had to leave the house once, and that :censored: cat tried to bolt at top speed for the outdoors both times I opened the door. He hasn't done that for a year.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have worn glasses since I was 11 and at one time I always carried two pairs with one of them being sunglasses. Don't know if they did any good regarding the UV but at least I did not squint against the sun which also causes wrinkles. They were also heavy as glasses were just that: they were made out of glass. Then they came out with glasses that got dark by themselves if worn in bright light so I did not have to carry two pairs anymore. Protection against UV? Probably not. Then came plastic lenses which were a relief but probably no UV protection either. At last they came out with glasses that did not only get dark by themselves, you also got coatings against glare and UV and for astigmatism and best of all: the plastic lenses now were even much lighter than the ones before and did not slide down anymore (you've all seen people who constantly touched the bridge of their glasses with their middle finger to push them back up, really nerdy).
I tried prescription sunglasses once and couldn't handle them, for two reasons. I need more protection than just colored lenses - I need polarized lenses, plus which changing glasses, even though the frames were the same, gave me the feeling I always have with new frames, that there's a step down where there shouldn't be. I put it down to the fact that it's impossible to make two pairs of frames actually fit the face identically.

There was a time when I wore clip-on sunglasses for about a year that weren't actually polarized (not by choice - I was unaware that I'd gotten the wrong kind), and I began having trouble with my night vision. Once I realized I was wearing the wrong kind of sunglasses and switched to the right kind the night vision problems gradually went away. Since I had my cataract surgery I've found myself needing two pairs of polarized sunglasses at once.

In my opinion (and please note that this is opinion, not scientific fact) even if the glasses that change color based on how bright it is could also somehow add polarization, they can't possibly change quickly enough for safety.

I've heard that even regular glasses block some UV rays, which gives slight protection against cataracts. Idk how true that is.
I believe that when glasses were actually made of glass, they did. With the new plastic lenses you have to specifically add a coating that provides UV protection, and it scratches easily so you need to also add a coating that helps (somewhat) to protect the anti-UV coating. And then you need to get new lenses every year or two, whether or not your prescription has changed, because the UV coating is being scratched by then.

Tomorrow is my school orientation. I start classes next week :shocked:
I'm confident that you'll do just fine; though I understand your apprehension.

Margret

Status
Not open for further replies.