The "what's On Your Mind?" Thread -2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
The version I heard is that Cinderella didn't have glass slippers, but a glass knife. (at least I think it was Cinderella)
The first pair of shoes was silk with silver embroidery to match the gold and silver dress,, the second one the story does not tell but that it was even more gorgeous, the third dress was even more beautiful and the shoes were golden, the shoes matched the dress she wore each time, nothing about glass slippers which would not make any sense anyway, glass shoes would be uncomfortable and would break. Disney has done a stupid number by keeping that story.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know what this version could be that you say is not fit for TCS.
I'm sure Margret will PM you with the full story, but the one I found, well, instead of a kiss, the prince's. . .actions led to twins. Who were born while she was still unconscious. So um.

Last edited:

raina21

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I know what you mean. I am Agnostic living in a Mormon town. I actually had one mother refuse to let her son play with mine and then claimed (to anyone who would listen) that I am a Demon.
I also know how that feels, my Fiancé's mom literally thinks I am satan even though I have never done anything negative toward her. I don't know why she thinks I am so evil but one time, before my Fiancé and I lived together (we were a long distance couple and could only visit each other a few times a year), he had taken a trip to see me and his mom just started sending him texts threatening to evict him and saying things like "you have the devil inside you and I don't want you coming back here and bringing the devil into this house."

I guess she practically interrogated him about my religious beliefs and after like 2 hours he finally let it slip that I didn't go to church and then she spent another hour asking him why I didn't go to church. And ever since then she has just been incredibly rude to me for no reason.

She says things like "Raina is a terrible influence on you and I really don't know what you see in her. She has pulled you off of the Lord's path. She is leading you toward Satan." All the time and Matt and I are just dumbfounded because literally the only reason she doesn't like me is because I don't go to church.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You sure have better neighbors than we do.

Unfortunately the front side of our trailer faces the neighbor that we have the worst relationship with. They are also very wealthy, and they dont like the idea of us having the trailer. They are the ones who reported us to the city ordinance. We got a variance to keep staying in the trailer though so they lost that battle.

They also just dont like us for religious reasons. When I was very young, around 5 years old. I used to be friends with their daughter. It was around that time when her parents found out that my family was not religious and didn't attend church.

Shortly after that the daughter had invited me over to go swimming and I got my bathing suit on and everything and I was about to run over there (as I had in the past) when my mom got a call from that neighbor saying that I was never allowed to come over there again or be friends with their daughter. And mind you I had never done anything to them or behaved badly at their house at all. The reason they gave for not allowing me to be friends with their daughter was that they didn't want their daughter's mind to be corrupted by me and my family since we didn't attend church and that apparently meant we were horrible people. Lol.
I'm sorry to hear that you have such rotten neighbors; it makes me appreciate my own neighbors even more, which is saying a lot since I already knew they were the best part of our neighborhood.

I understand that these are people who might, at some point, be able to make trouble for you, and that they would obviously like to make trouble for you, but I don't see how slipping and landing in the mud could either make them like you less or provide them with any ammunition to use against you, and frankly they've already demonstrated that their judgment is terrible. So my advice is to just let it go. These jerks aren't worth getting embarrassed over.

The first pair of shoes was silk with silver embroidery to match the gold and silver dress,, the second one the story does not tell but that it was even more gorgeous, the third dress was even more beautiful and the shoes were golden, the shoes matched the dress she wore each time, nothing about glass slippers which would not make any sense anyway, glass shoes would be uncomfortable and would break. Disney has done a stupid number by keeping that story.
Really? I had heard (somewhere or other) that "glass slippers" was based on a mistaken translation of "fur slippers."

Had my first day at my new job today. There is so much to learn!
You'll get through it; you were ready for a change and you're intelligent. You'll be okay. :grouphug:

I'm sure Margret will PM you with the full story, but the one I found, well, instead of a kiss, the prince's. . .actions led to twins. Who were born while she was still unconscious. So um.
Pretty much, except it actually went downhill from there, which I know is hard to imagine.

Margret

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm getting induced tomorrow at 6am.
Our local hospital has a lovely nickname - the morgue. They're fine at delivering babies, but that might be because the private practice doctors come in to do it. My family only goes there if we basically know what's wrong and how it should be treated. Otherwise, well drive 2 hours away to the next county.
I remember when I was a kid, my great uncle had to go for some reason. My mom went with him (and me and my sister cuz there was no one to watch us). This conversation happened.
Doctor: I want to do an MRI.
Mom: He has a pacemaker.
Doctor: Yes, that's here on his chart.
Mom: And you want to do an MRI.
Doctor: Yes, it will tell me more about what's going on.
Mom: And it will kill him!
I know I shouldn't laugh, but it sounds like a similar conversation I had when my grandmother was hospitalized.

Doctor: Why are you taking sodium?
Grandma: I was told to take sodium.
Doctor: Why?
Me: She has a hereditary sodium deficiency.
Doctor: Well, you don't need that. We'll just take you off it.
Me: Are her sodium levels high?
Doctor: No, they're normal.
Me: They're normal and she's been taking the sodium three times a day. Getting rid of it would be bad.
Doctor: She doesn't need it.
Me: :doh:

Ok, I believe you found that on the internet. In my experience, these are the very rare exception to the rule. Based on my own personal experiences, hospitals cringe and try damage control when there is the least little complaint, never mind major incident.

There are governing bodies for hospital care.. and when there is an 'incident' there is all heck to pay.
Question: Could the fact that the county has only one hospital give them more leeway on an inspection? Because, aside from this crappy one, the nearest is almost an hour away, top speed.

What I object to with Disney is that they bowdlerize everything. All the really dark parts of the original stories are left out or somehow prettified. Watch the original black and white French movie with Jean Marais for a faithful rendition of Beauty and the Beast. Shelley Duvall in her series of Fairie Tale Theatre had an excellent rendition of the French film also. The Beast is a cat-like creature played by Klaus Kinski not some strange mixture of bull and bear, and Beauty is played by Susan Sarandon, directed by Roger Vadim. Dark? Yes, but it was a story meant for adults, not little children just like so many of the Grimm's fairy tales and those of Anderson's (The Little Mermaid).
If I remember my history right (and I might not), the original Grimm stories were the era's version of movies: some were for children, but most were for the adults working around; a method of escapism from dreary lives while at the same time teaching things that people knew and had a tendency to forget. (Like, "be grateful for what you have" in the case of the Fisherman's Wife.)

There's a Science Fiction and Fantasy convention that I've been going to for the last three years, called Myths & Legends Con. And every year on Saturday night there's a presentation of fairy tales just for adults, because these are the original versions. And every year they end it with a request for suggestions of which fairy tales to do next year.

The first two years I went, I suggested Sleeping Beauty, the original of which is totally inappropriate for a family site like TCS, and last year they finally did it, following it up by giving me a (fairly cheap) gift bag for not only making the suggestion but sticking to it for two years.

(If adult members wish to know the unexpurgated version of Sleeping Beauty, PM me.)

Margret
I'm not sure the version you're thinking of is the original (and yes, I know the version you're thinking of; I read it too).

You sure have better neighbors than we do.

Unfortunately the front side of our trailer faces the neighbor that we have the worst relationship with. They are also very wealthy, and they dont like the idea of us having the trailer. They are the ones who reported us to the city ordinance. We got a variance to keep staying in the trailer though so they lost that battle.

They also just dont like us for religious reasons. When I was very young, around 5 years old. I used to be friends with their daughter. It was around that time when her parents found out that my family was not religious and didn't attend church.

Shortly after that the daughter had invited me over to go swimming and I got my bathing suit on and everything and I was about to run over there (as I had in the past) when my mom got a call from that neighbor saying that I was never allowed to come over there again or be friends with their daughter. And mind you I had never done anything to them or behaved badly at their house at all. The reason they gave for not allowing me to be friends with their daughter was that they didn't want their daughter's mind to be corrupted by me and my family since we didn't attend church and that apparently meant we were horrible people. Lol.
Man, when I was in middle school my classmates decided (I'm not entirely sure why) that I was witch trying to kill them. The parents took this "threat" seriously enough to sent the head of the PTA (which is what it was called back then, I know it has a different name now) to investigate, which led to a question of why we didn't go to church. AWM explained that we didn't have the money for church clothes and God demanded too much respect to just attend in everyday clothes. Long story short--the kids were still certain I was a witch, and their parents accepted the explanation (especially after a visit with DD got the story that I was kicked out of Sunday school passed around).

I don't know what this version could be that you say is not fit for TCS. The original story which I heard when I was quite small and have in a German edition of the collected Grimm's tales had nothing at the end or anywhere that would be objectionable, it is called "Briar Rose" in German. (This edition of the Grimm Brothers' tales even has them in the Frisean dialect if they were collected that way, Frisian is close to Dutch and is spoken on the German coast of the North Sea, I have a really hard time reading it and even harder hearing it spoken. The Fisherman and his Wife where she is ever asking for more and more until she is back in the old hut when she asks to be like God) is one of them and I had heard that since I was before school age in the Frisian dialect).
If you are talking about SnowWhite at the end the bad queen, at the wedding of SnowWhite and the prince, had to put on iron slippers which had been heated over glowing coals until they were glowing red and she had to dance in them until she fell down dead.
In Cinderella the doves which had sorted the grains picked out the eyes of the bad sisters on one side as they went into the church for Cinderella's wedding and when they came out picked the eyes out on the other side.
All pretty gruesome like a lot of Grimm's tales.
So if you have something that maybe is salacious you can PM that to me.
I think I know the version of Sleeping Beauty that she's talking about, and I don't think it's the original. :dunno:

I know what you mean. I am Agnostic living in a Mormon town. I actually had one mother refuse to let her son play with mine and then claimed (to anyone who would listen) that I am a Demon.
:rolleyes3:

If I remember correctly (and I might not; it's been a while) the balls she went to were also masked, weren't they?

Had my first day at my new job today. There is so much to learn!
Hope you're having fun! :D

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Felix came up on the chair and waited for his food. My mom would freak out if she saw him doing this but he's been my best friend since I was 11 years old. I just wanted to enjoy breakfast with him. He didn't sit too comfortably because he thought she might show up and ruin the fun.

Attachments

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
It is my understanding that the oral fairy tales were so grim that the Brothers Grimm decided to clean them up before writing them down for future generations. I also have heard of the Sleeping Beauty variant. I also heard that the original Rapunzel had her innocently asking her mother why her gowns were getting too tight in the waist, which clued her mother in that she was having a night time visitor who was doing more than talking.

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm a Christian but I don't judge people for their belief or non belief - but I do tend to shy away from Mormons. My ex husband cheated on me with a Mormon. She knew us both and knew we were married. She wouldn't drink coffee or Pepsi because apparently caffeine is against her religion but she had no problem cheating on her own husband with a married man. I'm sure most of them are good people, but she definitely left a bad taste in my mouth.
By the way, I got my phone to connect to the hospital's WiFi so yay! I already got the epi so labor is pretty boring. Lol

arouetta

Top Cat
Purraise
Alicia88 Alicia88 Take a nap. A long nap. Take advantage that you can't feel that horrible pain in your legs.

I'm also Christian, I think. But a lot of different paths lead to God. I told an atheist friend of mine that he was going to be pleasantly surprised when he dies, because he's just so good of a person.

I glanced at FB this morning and a friend had posted a close up of a Sphinx cat. As much of a crazy cat lady that I am, I find Sphinxes so ugly it's hard to look at them. Telling myself that all cats look like that under their "clothing" doesn't help negate my "That's gotta be some kind of interstellar alien spawn" emotional reaction.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure the version you're thinking of is the original (and yes, I know the version you're thinking of; I read it too).
These were passed along orally for hundreds (?) of years before anyone wrote them down. Oral traditions change slightly with each storyteller they pass through. I seriously doubt that anyone now is capable of determining what the "original" of any of these stories was, or even whether it still exists.

By the way, I got my phone to connect to the hospital's WiFi so yay!
Cool! :clap:

I already got the epi so labor is pretty boring.
Good! Boring is exactly what we're going for here.

Margret

arouetta

Top Cat
Purraise
My cat......is not a cat. :noway:

I got all my cards out of the box I store them in so that I could add the ones I got for Christmas and Midway walked across my laptop case towards the box. Great, I'm going to have to kick him out when I put the cards back. He then steps into the box and right back out the other side as it was clearly just an obstacle in the way of wherever he was going. (Which I'm still not sure as he walked into the bathroom and then right back out.) Then after I took the picture to show how inviting the box is, he walked up, stepped into it, scratched the bottom twice, and then walked right back out.

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Boxes at our place never stay empty for long. Lol
I am loving the heck out of this epidural. I haven't been pain free in months. Who would have guessed that I'd enjoy labor?

arouetta

Top Cat
Purraise
I hear that's how all cats look. Their skin is super loose, which is why scruffing hurts only their pride and not their bodies.

Status
Not open for further replies.