The "What's on your mind?" Thread -2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
@margaret  I looked at that saw-says the deepest cut is 2.25". It could work for what you want. At work here the blades come 50 to a box. Meaning if you are worried about breaking them-they are available in a larger quantity incase you snap them or whatever.  If I was you   get it and try it- the price is dirt cheap! Worse comes to worse donate to someone's high school wood shop if you don't like it. Circular saw and jig saw is two very different tools. The jig saw is small enough I don't think you will have a problem=just always wear safety glasses and a good sturdy pair of gloves to not get wood splinters etc. I say go for it. And a good commercial extension cord to go with it. They always make the stupid cords too short. Here at work we use Milwaukee tools and Makita. You can't go wrong with Makita=check out craigs list.

When running it-probably best to only use it for 10 minutes at a time so you don't burn out the motor. That could be the only down side- it's not heavy duty and may burn out if let it overheat. Dremel tools are cool but you are right-they don't have a 4" wheel to cut things with. Reciprocating saw is a Saws-all here. Those things are handy BUT they vibrate A TON so if you have elbow/wrist problems they won't make it easy on your arms-I have tendonitis in my rt elbow and those darn things make it act up..jigsaw is much smoother on your joints. I vote try it!

Last edited:

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Those look amazing! 
 Do the cats use them?

Well, I just got back from the hospital from making a payment (my first, and only payment this month, but it's been really  hectic), and just barely  stopped them from sending my bill to a creditor. Seriously--they were in the process of sending it when I made a payment and they had to pull the whole thing from the system to reset it with the new amount. 
 The month isn't even over yet! 
 It should not be this hard to pay a hospital bill! Bright Shining Stars in the Sky, no bleeping wonder  so many bills go into collections! 
We will see if they use them today. I have placed all the boxes in them so hopefully all goes well. Otherwise we may have to have one box that isn't covered. Carrot can be a pain about covered boxes so fingers crossed that he's okay with these. 

Darn hospital. If you're paying there shouldn't be a problem. At the marketing company I work for we just require that a person makes some payment on what they owe us each month. It could be 5 dollars and we wouldn't send to collections. 

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

We will see if they use them today. I have placed all the boxes in them so hopefully all goes well. Otherwise we may have to have one box that isn't covered. Carrot can be a pain about covered boxes so fingers crossed that he's okay with these. 

Darn hospital. If you're paying there shouldn't be a problem. At the marketing company I work for we just require that a person makes some payment on what they owe us each month. It could be 5 dollars and we wouldn't send to collections. 
I understand that there are a lot of accounts that no one ever even tries  to pay, I really do. I also understand why the hospital might want to rush those to an outside collection agency. BUT there should be some system in place to separate them from people who are really, really TRYING to pay their bills.

That being said I had a chuckle about the cat named after Captain Carrot not wanting to go inside a covered box. Good luck to you! 

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good news. They are definitely using the covered boxes! Carrot most definitely is (I can always tell because he has huge pee clumps since he loves to drink water from our cat fountain). Thank goodness for that. I think in the past Carrot's problem with a covered box was that it was a fairly tight fit. These are much roomier. When we go him, he didn't pee in his box for over 24 hours since it was a box with a hood and a cat flap

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Love the cat box idea!  I have to move some things eventually and I was wanting to get some kind of box to hide the box..but wasn't sure if my girls would not use it for fear of getting bullied.

Anyone know anything about filing for bankruptcy chapter 11 and still works at their job or know someone? Particularly if company has a union in it as well.

Just trying to gather information to calm down people. Apparently someone saw something on the ticker of the business channel about possibly filing for bankruptcy-for one=the money is not GONE-they just didn't adjust the books for the extra design changes that were added half way into the job and they  have taken each other to court to find out who is responsible for those fees=it would have been nice if these "regulations" were told to the company from the start-not halfway into the project. I don't know if they ended up scrapping materials in order to start fresh or? Then someone had a bright idea to buy a construction company to avoid paying the "fines" and now it looks like it could cost people their jobs-hopefully we find out what's going on March 15ish when the reports are supposed to be released about money.

Either way just wandering about reorganization in a company-I have rarely worked for big companies before-so I admit my ignorance with this. For now I am instructing my guys to just keep coming to work and do your jobs and let the higher ups deal with the baloney. Me-it could get sold off in bits n pieces-since they have so many parts of this company- or just do a shuffle of upper management (personally we ran a much better ship with less middle management) and they need to stop hiring supervisors who have no building experience.

The truck- NO NOISE! The spare tire was why it was making noise=it's in a cradle that has a cable that gets let down to release spare tire=evidently it came down an inch or two and was spinning=it's supposed to be snug and tight..they couldn't get it to go back up so they took it down lubricated it and now it's almost back where it should be. I don't know if salt/sand/ice got in there?  Either way I don't have to worry about buying another vehicle. Next month is registration and renew my license..wonder how much they will take me for..but I sure do like to drive.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I was generalizing, not trying to invalidate your experience.  Also, I was speaking from an adult perspective.  Children are more easily bullied, especially when an adult human (your "stepmonster," for instance) assists in the bullying.

One of the things I was thinking of was the size difference between cats and many (not all) dogs.  When I was a kid, there was a dog in our neighborhood who was always allowed to run loose and had every kid on the block totally terrorized.  He was at least as big as we were, and it had nothing to do with being locked in a room with him, like you and the cat who hurt you so badly when you were a child.  He had just decided that he was in charge of the neighborhood, and every kid there had better acknowledge his dominance or suffer the consequences.  And, somehow, it was impossible to explain to the adults what was going on, because he was a beautiful dog, and he didn't do it when the grown ups were around to see him.

And, I'm sorry, but it sounds as if your experience with the cat at the shelter who bit you was the exception rather than the rule with this cat.  I've no idea what it was that set it off when it was with you, but they certainly wouldn't have had it available that way if there had been previous reports that it was vicious.  And no, I am not blaming you; I don't doubt in the slightest that you did nothing to provoke it.  I suspect it was something that you had no control over and no way of knowing about -- something about your voice, or your smell, or the way you pet, that reminded it of a bad experience.

Margret
The thing that gets me the most is that all these incidents involve different cats. And, I'm sorry if I sounded short-tempered. I had a nasty phone call interrupting my sleep as a woman demanded to know why I had "assisted" in "promoting uncontrolled breeding" because I have four cats and none of them came from a shelter. I don't even know how she got my number--I don't give it out. So--all things considered I was unfair. I'm sorry.
If your previous experiences with cats have made you afraid, that could be what's causing this.  Both your body language and your odor change when you're afraid, and fearful people are more likely to hurt cats, so a cat may decide to be "proactive" and hurt you first.  Once again, not blaming you, just looking for possible causes.

I did not take offense, any more than I meant to give it.  That's horrible that someone would call you up that way.  I don't blame you in the least for being upset about it.  Did you, perhaps, get caller ID on her, so you can block her number?  I know that we have caller blocking on our landline phone as well as our mobiles; it came with the voice messaging.  (I don't know how to use it, but I know we have it.  One of these days I'll call the phone company's help line and get instructions on how to use it.)

Margret

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

@margaret  I looked at that saw-says the deepest cut is 2.25". It could work for what you want. At work here the blades come 50 to a box. Meaning if you are worried about breaking them-they are available in a larger quantity incase you snap them or whatever.  If I was you   get it and try it- the price is dirt cheap! Worse comes to worse donate to someone's high school wood shop if you don't like it. Circular saw and jig saw is two very different tools. The jig saw is small enough I don't think you will have a problem=just always wear safety glasses and a good sturdy pair of gloves to not get wood splinters etc. I say go for it. And a good commercial extension cord to go with it. They always make the stupid cords too short. Here at work we use Milwaukee tools and Makita. You can't go wrong with Makita=check out craigs list.

When running it-probably best to only use it for 10 minutes at a time so you don't burn out the motor. That could be the only down side- it's not heavy duty and may burn out if let it overheat. Dremel tools are cool but you are right-they don't have a 4" wheel to cut things with. Reciprocating saw is a Saws-all here. Those things are handy BUT they vibrate A TON so if you have elbow/wrist problems they won't make it easy on your arms-I have tendonitis in my rt elbow and those darn things make it act up..jigsaw is much smoother on your joints. I vote try it!
  That tears it.  You looked farther than I did, and I thank you for it.  Some of my branches are bigger around than that.  I'll keep checking garage and estate sales.

Margret

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
what about renting a sawsall and having someone help you? Too bad we haven't figured out a battery powered sawsall that isn't so vibrating! I am sorry I spelled your name wrong! I think I called up the wrong Margaret! LOL  You can always go at it from each side but if it's more than 4" diameter then you will have to finish off with a hacksaw. Or just put it between two rocks and jump on it LOL..not that it will break clean..and of course if it's thicker than 1" it wont break it...hahaha the days of when I used to jump on things held with a rock to break it..told you I am a tank..lol

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

what about renting a sawsall and having someone help you? Too bad we haven't figured out a battery powered sawsall that isn't so vibrating! I am sorry I spelled your name wrong! I think I called up the wrong Margaret! LOL  You can always go at it from each side but if it's more than 4" diameter then you will have to finish off with a hacksaw. Or just put it between two rocks and jump on it LOL..not that it will break clean..and of course if it's thicker than 1" it wont break it...hahaha the days of when I used to jump on things held with a rock to break it..told you I am a tank..lol
I may end up doing that.  I just signed up for notifications at two estate sale sites and one garage sale site, and included a list of what I'm interested in; I'll see whether this produces results.  Both Sears and Home Depot rent tools out, but, frankly, if I'm going to spend money for it I'd prefer to buy it outright.

I do need to have good, clean, flat cuts for the cat condo project, which is why I need something that's actually long enough to cut straight through.  Even then it will take careful attention to detail to actually get what I want.  Ah, well.  We shall see.  If the cat condo ever comes to fruition it will, at least, be unique.  I'll be sure to post pictures.

If I really need to break something, I'm not averse to jumping on it, as long as I'm sure I won't fall when it gives way.

Yes, you "@ed" (I know, not a word, or a person on the site) the wrong Margaret, but I found it anyway. 
  I'm vividly aware of how easy it is to make this mistake, having been correcting the spelling of my name for over fifty years now, so don't worry about it.

The neighbor cut a big branch off of his cottonwood tree a while back, which I asked for and he gave me.  I had it on the back porch, out of the weather, drying out.  And the yard guys came last week while we were out and decided it was trash.  When we got home and I told them to save it they said "Oh, okay.  It's over there."  I just now went out to recover it and move it back to the porch and they had cut it up into short pieces, which do not include the nice big crotch I was relying on.  Next time I get a branch it's going onto the back porch with a note attached saying in big letters "SAVE!  Do not move, cut up, or alter in ANY way!"  In English and Spanish.  I could spit tacks; I've put so much effort into this project and this is the second time I've lost wood that should have been safe.

Margret

Last edited:

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
what about craigs list? I know it can be hit or miss..pawn shops too. I try to keep my eye out for yard sales called "men's yardsale" or "tools" type of key word..it's a bear to not get what you need at a price that is affordable..around here I see all kinds of tools at yardsales the past 2 years=not sure why?! Also some people buy power tools at big box stores and get ripped off. if you do buy something make sure the guts are made of metal gears and not plastic gears. I know sometimes I am weary of buying power tools second hand because you don't know if you will inherit someone else's headaches..kind of how I feel about buying cars/trucks..

I was fooling around on craigslist this week and found a Tahoe in maine for $500..wish I had a garage and a tow truck..It just needs a new transmission..and if I had an engine hoist and a lift I could get Jon to help me..I am bugging him to get that land of his build and get that garage..I want to buy a Chevelle to restore-but I want the engine and innards done-I only want to deal with the bodywork-hahaha..I told him we could have so much fun building different cars..I hope he listens to me. One year he took the body of a car and put it ontop of the engine/frame of a truck...just because. I have to ask him about it again.

Someone shared a picture of a chevy suburban with a second part of the suburban welded onto the front with the title "step away from the welder" LOL. My first question=would we have to install two engines to pull it because a standard gasoline 5.3 engine won't be enough to pull that extra weight and what about the transmission?? I was told I was to just enjoy the picture but my engineering mind goes off in a different direction asking who what where why how will it all work and still get up to a decent speed to travel anywhere?! I sure could use it to pull my kayak LOLOLOL that's what's on my mind

Oh and I asked Jon how would this be possible=he said get a diesel engine and it will be fine...LOL. Now there's something I know zip about=other than it's not combustion engine but works another way..LOL

Last edited:

KatKnapper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Been reading on how to treat my cat for a minor flea infestation or a gang of persistent fleas.  He's asleep so I can't vent to him right now.  So it's your lucky moment.  Looking at this thread since the start of the year, you folks got lots to say, about whatever one wants to say.  You'll have to forgive me for at times my southern genes tend to surface after decades away.  I have exhausted all the brain power and attention that I can muster today, in finding a good method do deal with my cat's apparent flea reinfestation that is not toxic or uses a pesticide.  He is once again showing signs of flea bite skin allergy (scabs and lesions) starting at the base of his tail.  The wearing of a Seresto Cat collar seemed to be working better than a circus snake charmer.  Because of a chronic vomiting problem he has, that I fear began shortly after I removed him from his outdoor life, I became paranoid of any and everything I have done thus far in providing a healthy well-balanced life for him.  I then suspected the collar, and upon reading up on its ingredients I noted that they all use small amounts of pesticides.  Even the flea shampoo I pulled out to use today, I discovered also has pesticides.

After all, he was a "free" cat.  I fed and befriended him.  I felt pity and took him into my home out of the rain.  Took him to get a check-up, shots and a flea fix a couple days later.  At the present, I have spent over $1600 in a span of just four months for this "free" cat.  Vet wants to do a biopsy for nearly $2000 for the vomiting.  I thought, 0.o  yeah sure.  He means the world to me.  All that I have done, I would do it all over again double, without so much as a flinch.

So you see, this flea thing, the pesticides, and all the useless misinformation on the web have me wanting to "veg out" at the moment.  Some say you can drown fleas.  Yet some science buff posted a study, showing for sure, you can if you submerge them for like 24 hours.  Best I can churn from all the web reading is that the borax in common dish detergent affects a flea's body in a bad way leading to its death.  A vet who has seen the harmful effects of pesticide-based flea shampoos recommended avoiding them altogether and using a soothing oatmeal shampoo bath followed up 24 hours later with a vet prescribed effective topical treatment.

I can see and feel that my little baby is discomforted by these ever increasing scabs and lesions.  He has the beautiful fur coat of a "Wegie or Skogkatt."  It is like running your fingers through a three-inch thick luxurious mink coat...then you feel the scabs and lesions. EWWW!!  (as he turns and looks at you)  "Why are you hurting me?? Don't touch them, please!"

I'm done reading flea stuff for a while.  Far too much other cat well-being stuff that I need to read and digest.  Done venting too. Thank you for being here, as I'm sure you are forever vigilant and ready to give a listening ear, an open heart'n mind, or a nugget of well-earned wisdom.  

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

what about craigs list? I know it can be hit or miss..pawn shops too. I try to keep my eye out for yard sales called "men's yardsale" or "tools" type of key word..it's a bear to not get what you need at a price that is affordable..around here I see all kinds of tools at yardsales the past 2 years=not sure why?! Also some people buy power tools at big box stores and get ripped off. if you do buy something make sure the guts are made of metal gears and not plastic gears. I know sometimes I am weary of buying power tools second hand because you don't know if you will inherit someone else's headaches..kind of how I feel about buying cars/trucks..

I was fooling around on craigslist this week and found a Tahoe in maine for $500..wish I had a garage and a tow truck..It just needs a new transmission..and if I had an engine hoist and a lift I could get Jon to help me..I am bugging him to get that land of his build and get that garage..I want to buy a Chevelle to restore-but I want the engine and innards done-I only want to deal with the bodywork-hahaha..I told him we could have so much fun building different cars..I hope he listens to me. One year he took the body of a car and put it ontop of the engine/frame of a truck...just because. I have to ask him about it again. Someone shared a picture of a chevy suburban with a second part of the suburban welded onto the front with the title "step away from the welder" LOL. My first question=would we have to install two engines to pull it because a standard gasoline 5.3 engine won't be enough to pull that extra weight and what about the transmission?? I was told I was to just enjoy the picture but my engineering mind goes off in a different direction asking who what where why how will it all work and still get up to a decent speed to travel anywhere?! I sure could use it to pull my kayak LOLOLOL that's what's on my mind
My neighbor says that he bought a really nice ladder at a garage sale a while back, one of those that can be short or extend to get you to your roof, and when he got it home he found out that it wanted to buckle when he extended it.  So he got online to try to find out whether it could be repaired and found out that there was a recall notice on it, the thing was known to be a piece of junk.  He can't even donate it to Goodwill because his conscience won't let him.  (I have good neighbors.)

Margret

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
fleas=get some DE Diatomaceous Earth food grade and put the powder on your hands and run it up and down the fur. its not a chemical. it's ground up silica and suffocates those
! I did this one year at the summer rental. And voila. Fleas DEAD

I sprinkled it around in the yard and that seemed to stop them in their tracks. Just be careful not to inhale the powder=it won't hurt a healthy person but I err on the side of caution for that...

Margret sorry that your neighbor got suckered in...That's the problem with some yardsales..jerks make money off junk and we get stuck with it..sometimes I find good stuff and sometimes it doesn't work out..I almost don't want to go to anymore yardsales..people don't take care of their stuff anymore and tired of pawing through boxes of CRAP that should be THROWN AWAY!

Last edited:

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Good news. They are definitely using the covered boxes! Carrot most definitely is (I can always tell because he has huge pee clumps since he loves to drink water from our cat fountain). Thank goodness for that. I think in the past Carrot's problem with a covered box was that it was a fairly tight fit. These are much roomier. When we go him, he didn't pee in his box for over 24 hours since it was a box with a hood and a cat flap
Congratulations! 
 (Well, when we got Rose we originally got her a small covered box, but thought that would be too small for her, so as soon as we saved up some we got a bigger covered box--that she never used. The kittens loved it though, after they started exploring the house.

Love the cat box idea!  I have to move some things eventually and I was wanting to get some kind of box to hide the box..but wasn't sure if my girls would not use it for fear of getting bullied.

Anyone know anything about filing for bankruptcy chapter 11 and still works at their job or know someone? Particularly if company has a union in it as well.

Just trying to gather information to calm down people. Apparently someone saw something on the ticker of the business channel about possibly filing for bankruptcy-for one=the money is not GONE-they just didn't adjust the books for the extra design changes that were added half way into the job and they  have taken each other to court to find out who is responsible for those fees=it would have been nice if these "regulations" were told to the company from the start-not halfway into the project. I don't know if they ended up scrapping materials in order to start fresh or? Then someone had a bright idea to buy a construction company to avoid paying the "fines" and now it looks like it could cost people their jobs-hopefully we find out what's going on March 15ish when the reports are supposed to be released about money.

Either way just wandering about reorganization in a company-I have rarely worked for big companies before-so I admit my ignorance with this. For now I am instructing my guys to just keep coming to work and do your jobs and let the higher ups deal with the baloney. Me-it could get sold off in bits n pieces-since they have so many parts of this company- or just do a shuffle of upper management (personally we ran a much better ship with less middle management) and they need to stop hiring supervisors who have no building experience.

The truck- NO NOISE! The spare tire was why it was making noise=it's in a cradle that has a cable that gets let down to release spare tire=evidently it came down an inch or two and was spinning=it's supposed to be snug and tight..they couldn't get it to go back up so they took it down lubricated it and now it's almost back where it should be. I don't know if salt/sand/ice got in there?  Either way I don't have to worry about buying another vehicle. Next month is registration and renew my license..wonder how much they will take me for..but I sure do like to drive.
Glad you finally found the issue. 

Finishing up here, and going to transfer the food into the new, LARGER fridge!  O JOY O BLISS O ROOM FOR ICE CUBE TRAYS!
I hear you. And lucky your fridge didn't go out! 

If your previous experiences with cats have made you afraid, that could be what's causing this.  Both your body language and your odor change when you're afraid, and fearful people are more likely to hurt cats, so a cat may decide to be "proactive" and hurt you first.  Once again, not blaming you, just looking for possible causes.

I did not take offense, any more than I meant to give it.  That's horrible that someone would call you up that way.  I don't blame you in the least for being upset about it.  Did you, perhaps, get caller ID on her, so you can block her number?  I know that we have caller blocking on our landline phone as well as our mobiles; it came with the voice messaging.  (I don't know how to use it, but I know we have it.  One of these days I'll call the phone company's help line and get instructions on how to use it.)

Margret
I wasn't afraid of the cats. Well, maybe the second one. (That was insane, and the stepmonster encouraged him.) For the third incident that wasn't even the first cat I pet. And the number must have come up, but I was mostly asleep and didn't open my eyes to look while I answered it, so--no idea.

I may end up doing that.  I just signed up for notifications at two estate sale sites and one garage sale site, and included a list of what I'm interested in; I'll see whether this produces results.  Both Sears and Home Depot rent tools out, but, frankly, if I'm going to spend money for it I'd prefer to buy it outright.

I do need to have good, clean, flat cuts for the cat condo project, which is why I need something that's actually long enough to cut straight through.  Even then it will take careful attention to detail to actually get what I want.  Ah, well.  We shall see.  If the cat condo ever comes to fruition it will, at least, be unique.  I'll be sure to post pictures.

If I really need to break something, I'm not averse to jumping on it, as long as I'm sure I won't fall when it gives way.

Yes, you "@ed" (I know, not a word, or a person on the site) the wrong Margaret, but I found it anyway. 
  I'm vividly aware of how easy it is to make this mistake, having been correcting the spelling of my name for over fifty years now, so don't worry about it.

The neighbor cut a big branch off of his cottonwood tree a while back, which I asked for and he gave me.  I had it on the back porch, out of the weather, drying out.  And the yard guys came last week while we were out and decided it was trash.  When we got home and I told them to save it they said "Oh, okay.  It's over there."  I just now went out to recover it and move it back to the porch and they had cut it up into short pieces, which do not include the nice big crotch I was relying on.  Next time I get a branch it's going onto the back porch with a note attached saying in big letters "SAVE!  Do not move, cut up, or alter in ANY way!"  In English and Spanish.  I could spit tacks; I've put so much effort into this project and this is the second time I've lost wood that should have been safe.

Margret
Does it have to be cottonwood? I'm only asking because DD runs a lawn cleaning business and one of the things he does is (for a slight fee, of course) is save large branches for people who need them for crafts. Maybe you could ask the yard service if they'll keep an eye out and save one for you.

Been reading on how to treat my cat for a minor flea infestation or a gang of persistent fleas.  He's asleep so I can't vent to him right now.  So it's your lucky moment.  Looking at this thread since the start of the year, you folks got lots to say, about whatever one wants to say.  You'll have to forgive me for at times my southern genes tend to surface after decades away.  I have exhausted all the brain power and attention that I can muster today, in finding a good method do deal with my cat's apparent flea reinfestation that is not toxic or uses a pesticide.  He is once again showing signs of flea bite skin allergy (scabs and lesions) starting at the base of his tail.  The wearing of a Seresto Cat collar seemed to be working better than a circus snake charmer.  Because of a chronic vomiting problem he has, that I fear began shortly after I removed him from his outdoor life, I became paranoid of any and everything I have done thus far in providing a healthy well-balanced life for him.  I then suspected the collar, and upon reading up on its ingredients I noted that they all use small amounts of pesticides.  Even the flea shampoo I pulled out to use today, I discovered also has pesticides.

After all, he was a "free" cat.  I fed and befriended him.  I felt pity and took him into my home out of the rain.  Took him to get a check-up, shots and a flea fix a couple days later.  At the present, I have spent over $1600 in a span of just four months for this "free" cat.  Vet wants to do a biopsy for nearly $2000 for the vomiting.  I thought, 0.o  yeah sure.  He means the world to me.  All that I have done, I would do it all over again double, without so much as a flinch.

So you see, this flea thing, the pesticides, and all the useless misinformation on the web have me wanting to "veg out" at the moment.  Some say you can drown fleas.  Yet some science buff posted a study, showing for sure, you can if you submerge them for like 24 hours.  Best I can churn from all the web reading is that the borax in common dish detergent affects a flea's body in a bad way leading to its death.  A vet who has seen the harmful effects of pesticide-based flea shampoos recommended avoiding them altogether and using a soothing oatmeal shampoo bath followed up 24 hours later with a vet prescribed effective topical treatment.

I can see and feel that my little baby is discomforted by these ever increasing scabs and lesions.  He has the beautiful fur coat of a "Wegie or Skogkatt."  It is like running your fingers through a three-inch thick luxurious mink coat...then you feel the scabs and lesions. EWWW!!  (as he turns and looks at you)  "Why are you hurting me?? Don't touch them, please!"

I'm done reading flea stuff for a while.  Far too much other cat well-being stuff that I need to read and digest.  Done venting too. Thank you for being here, as I'm sure you are forever vigilant and ready to give a listening ear, an open heart'n mind, or a nugget of well-earned wisdom.  
Okay, I'm going to ask a very stupid question. It's so stupid that it might not have occurred to you, which is why I'm asking. Did you clean EVERY  cloth surface in your home? You'd be amazed at where the little buggers (pardon my language) can lay their eggs, and getting rid of them does no good unless there are no eggs left to hatch.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@KatKnapper, you can get some excellent results by doing a site search (search box at the top of every page on TCS) on "fleas" (without the quotes, of course).  Here are just a few of the results I found:

http://www.thecatsite.com/t/183800/natural-remedies-for-flees

http://www.thecatsite.com/t/274888/flee-infestation-please-help

http://www.thecatsite.com/t/32578/revolution-flee-control

http://www.thecatsite.com/t/323184/do-not-use-cheristin-for-cats

http://www.thecatsite.com/t/294358/has-anyone-had-a-bad-reaction-to-cheristin-flea-meds

As for the biopsies, I don't understand what kind of biopsy could help in the diagnosis of stomach problems.  Also, if you haven't actually seen any fleas on your cat, what you may be seeing and feeling is an allergic reaction, which could also manifest as stomach problems.  I would suggest that you may want to check for this first, before expensive biopsies.

Also, is your cat an indoor only cat, or indoor-outdoor?  If she's an indoor-outdoor cat then the fleas are going to keep coming back, and it will be harder to get rid of them every time they do.

You may want to start a new thread in the cat health forum especially for your cat's problems, something like this one: http://www.thecatsite.com/t/331720/artie-and-his-issues.  This gives us all a chance to brainstorm problems that an individual cat is having, and give you as much support as possible.  If you do that, be sure and post a link to it here in the What's on your mind thread, as just about all of us are subscribed to it.

Margret

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Margret
Does it have to be cottonwood? I'm only asking because DD runs a lawn cleaning business and one of the things he does is (for a slight fee, of course) is save large branches for people who need them for crafts. Maybe you could ask the yard service if they'll keep an eye out and save one for you.
No, cottonwood was just what was available.  I think I'll do that.  Considering that they caused the problem, they should be amenable to fixing it, for a small fee.  I'll have to get the number from Roger.  Thank you for the suggestion.

Margret

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

As for the biopsies, I don't understand what kind of biopsy could help in the diagnosis of stomach problems.
Chronic vomiting in cats is generally a small bowel disease, not a stomach disorder - Inflammatory Bowel Disease, parasites in the small bowel, diabetes, kidney maladies, hyperthyroidism, gastrointestinal growths and cetera  - but your questioning the wisdom of a "biopsy" is equally valid; a biopsy would be indicated only after a thorough clinical examination had been performed, a clear patient history had been taken, comprehensive hæmatological testing had been performed and studied, a fecal examination had been made and parasites, metabolic disorders and primary toxicity ruled out.  Assuming this yields no concrete results, radiographic imaging, and then ultrasound would be indicated.  If a mass is located - or it's suspected that a growth has been "hidden" or "shadowed" from the ultrasound examination owed to specific locations in the gastrointestinal system behind denser organs - then a biopsy - the court of last resort - is in order.

Caveat / Disclaimer: the above is offered solely as personal opinion, and should in no wise be considered professional medical advice.  When in doubt, always consult your Veterinarian; in cases where you suspect that your Veterinarian's diagnoses or conclusions might be at fault, always get a second opinion.

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence

@KatKnapper, you can get some excellent results by doing a site search (search box at the top of every page on TCS) on "fleas" (without the quotes, of course).  Here are just a few of the results I found:

http://www.thecatsite.com/t/294358/has-anyone-had-a-bad-reaction-to-cheristin-flea-meds

As for the biopsies, I don't understand what kind of biopsy could help in the diagnosis of stomach problems.  Also, if you haven't actually seen any fleas on your cat, what you may be seeing and feeling is an allergic reaction, which could also manifest as stomach problems.  I would suggest that you may want to check for this first, before expensive biopsies.

Also, is your cat an indoor only cat, or indoor-outdoor?  If she's an indoor-outdoor cat then the fleas are going to keep coming back, and it will be harder to get rid of them every time they do.

You may want to start a new thread in the cat health forum especially for your cat's problems, something like this one: http://www.thecatsite.com/t/331720/artie-and-his-issues.  This gives us all a chance to brainstorm problems that an individual cat is having, and give you as much support as possible.  If you do that, be sure and post a link to it here in the What's on your mind thread, as just about all of us are subscribed to it.

Margret
I use Revolution on my cats,  in the summer only on  two different occasions. They are indoor only so the only fleas that come in here I bring in on my pants and socks. Revolution will even get rid  of an infestation within a few days. If the cat goes outside it is advisable to use Revolution on a monthly basis.

KatKnapper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Margret
Thanks Margret for the responses.  I was just venting some.  As the thread asked, that's what was on my mind...specifically the flea issue and "rabbit hole" treatments and remedies.  I neglected to mention that he stayed a night at the vet, in order to get an ultrasound first thing the following morning...mind you..his supposed guardian left him there without giving him the collar to wear.  I guess I was hoping for some nugget of wisdom, short'n sweet for a proven way of dealing with these horrible creatures, other than the norm of pesticides and such.  I've read thru the forums and the web today until I'm blue in the face (ie wanting to vegetate out).  He previously was an outdoor cat being neglected (having to rely on a sympathetic neighbor for food) and on the verge of abandonment.  Since he as been with me he has been an indoor cat, with the exception of three or so Houdini escape acts.  As one vet instructor states, even an hour outdoors makes any cat an outdoor cat.  Anyway, the bath moment is behind us now (a story in itself).  Thanks for the reminder on the DE.  I have been aware of it already...it's the silica though edible grade, still bothers me.  I need to do more research on it.  

Status
Not open for further replies.