Status
Not open for further replies.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

@Margret
Re:cat tree
I've used each of the types of saws you've discussed. A jigsaw (saber-saw) cannot cut past the blade depth. The tip is not designed to "plunge" into deeper wood. A jigsaw is very useful to cut curved lines in lumber that is thinner than the cut depth. You can also use a jigsaw to cut an "inside" hole in a piece of flat board (like a window) if you drill a hole first to insert the saw blade.
A circular saw can be dangerous, but you can use it to cut wood that is deeper than the blade. There is a base plate with a cutout for the blade. Keeping the base plate flat on the wood helps to keep the cut straight. If the wood is thicker than the blade depth, you turn the wood and cut from the other side. If the wood is more than 4-5" thick, you would need to cut off the center part with some type of hand saw. If the wood is thicker than the saw cut, you need to ensure the wood does not "bind" or pinch the blade, as this will cause kickback,or could break the blade and result in an extremely dangerous situation
A reciprocating saw has several types and sizes of blades available. We use our recip. saw to cut up branches that fall from our trees frequently. This saw works best if the blade is longer than the thickness of the wood you are cutting. The recip saw can "buck" around in your hands, and takes a bit of practice. We cut branches either by going straight through smaller branches, but we tend to cut larger branches by cutting from several directions. You can flip the wood around,or hold the saw to cut the backside of the branch.

I believe you will want to be cutting flat pieces of wood like plywood along with the salvaged branches. The jigsaw or the circular saw will give nice cuts in plywood or particle board, but a recip saw is harder to control and is less likely to provide clean cuts in flat stock. There are fine-cut blades available, but this saw does jump in your hands, and I think it would be difficult to cut a clean, straight line.

You might want to buy a hand saw to cut your branch, like a hacksaw or rip saw (ask at the hardware store), and get a jigsaw or circular saw to cut the flat stock (shelves and platforms) for your cat tree.

You need to avoid "binding" the blade in any case. At best, the saw motor could overheat, and at worst, the blade could break and become a projectile.
You always want to wear safety glasses and ear plugs while running power tools. Safety glasses are a must for any wood cutting activity

Hope this helps.
Someone said that tools could be rented.  Another possibility that would be safer than a circular saw would be a mitre saw.
I just looked it up.  Miter saws are lovely, and quite safe; you're right about that.  They're also pretty specialized.  If I were setting up a proper workshop I'd definitely be looking for one.  But it wouldn't work for the branches.  I need a hand held saw for that.

However, I could easily see renting a miter saw for the walker tray and the shelves of the cat tree.  Thank you for the suggestion.

Margret

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
What's on my mind......

Now that my daughter and I have roughly equal work hours, I've started doing a lot more around the house.  And because I hate to clean, I "unclean" by having a few draconian rules.  One of those is that a laundry tablet is put in the washing machine upon emptying so everyone in the house can just drop stuff directly into the washing machine and all someone has to do is close the lid and start it when it looks full.  (Yes, I'm too lazy to divide colors and nothing has ended up a funny color yet.)

And there is nothing like emptying the dryer that someone so helpfully started and learning that something was washed because a cat puked on it when the completely clean hairball falls out and rolls right past your foot.  I'm glad my family is helping, but it'd be nice if they tossed the hairball prior to washing the item.

arouetta

Top Cat
Purraise

Thank you.

This pretty much matches the conclusions I had already reached, except for the hand saw.  I've tried using a hand saw, and I can't hold it straight and keep it from binding.  With an electric saw, I can.  Hence the desire for a big enough jigsaw to handle the branches.

I've had safety glasses (actually more like a pull-down plastic face shield, which works better over my glasses) for decades, and I keep ear plugs in my purse at all times in case I want to go to a movie
.  The theaters turn the sound way up, and I can't enjoy the movie without ear plugs.

Speaking of movies, I hear there was a bit of a kerfluffle at the Oscars last night.  I checked it out on YouTube; looks like everyone handled it with grace.

Margret
The problem with circular saws usually isn't the face.  My husband worked in construction supply and I worked in the office of a construction company for a bit.  The injuries I saw with circular saws was hand injuries.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Speaking of movies, I hear there was a bit of a kerfluffle at the Oscars last night.  I checked it out on YouTube; looks like everyone handled it with grace.

Margret
There was a kerfluffle. I watched it to the bitter end, and frankly, I thought Warren Beatty was getting senile. He looked at the card (which says at the bottom which award it's for), stared a bit, shared it with Faye Dunaway, she made some kind of comment, and then he haltingly read the card. Of course, it was a mix-up because someone gave him the wrong card, but you have to wonder why he didn't realize it was the wrong one and alert the stage manager.

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes I hate being right. Okay, even though I'm supposed to be off tonight I got a feeling (this morning when I left work) that I was going to get called in. I got called in for tonight. I'm trying to cool down enough to get to sleep now, because even though it was below 40 when I went to bed, it's almost eighty now and, because I was supposed to be off, they turned off the air to save electric. 
  One of my coworkers quit (honestly, it's been coming for a while now, and it's not like a quitting coworker is going to consider what happens to the coworkers when he's scheduled to work, and I understand). I'm just tired. And, hey, if things don't work out and she's not able to schedule someone else this week, I'll be eight hours overtime. (
 I hate being right!!!!
)

Last edited:

arouetta

Top Cat
Purraise

Sometimes I hate being right. Okay, even though I'm supposed to be off tonight I got a feeling (this morning when I left work) that I was going to get called in. I got called in for tonight. I'm trying to cool down enough to get to sleep now, because even though it was below 40 when I went to bed, it's almost eighty now and, because I was supposed to be off, they turned off the air to save electric. 
  One of my coworkers quit (honestly, it's been coming for a while now, and it's not like a quitting coworker is going to consider what happens to the coworkers when he's scheduled to work, and I understand). I'm just tired. And, hey, if things don't work out and she's not able to schedule someone else this week, I'll be eight hours overtime. (
 I hate being right!!!!
)
These are the reasons that god did not invent batteries with an infinite charge.  "Oh my cell phone battery/land line cordless phone battery died and I didn't realize it.  I had no idea that you called yesterday afternoon to see if I could come in during the evening.  I'm so sorry that it inconvenienced you.  I'll try to check my battery more often."

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise

There was a kerfluffle. I watched it to the bitter end, and frankly, I thought Warren Beatty was getting senile. He looked at the card (which says at the bottom which award it's for), stared a bit, shared it with Faye Dunaway, she made some kind of comment, and then he haltingly read the card. Of course, it was a mix-up because someone gave him the wrong card, but you have to wonder why he didn't realize it was the wrong one and alert the stage manager.
I watched it also.. I was very surprised to see "Bonnie and Clyde" there-- what was with that???

I saw WB confusion, and handing the envelope to FD.. She looked at it, took a deep breathe, smiled and said, to the effect; "The winner  of picture of the year is LA-LA Land"....  then the chaos started.. I noticed the guy with the headphones... and both Warren Beatty and Faye Dunaway looked like deer in the headlights... it was really bad...

I will agree with Jimmy Kimmel's comment of: "Why can't we have them both win? Why can't we have both be winners??".. I immediately thought that was the best solution to this situation.. 

I could not believe Kimmel's honest relation, that this would be his "First and last time hosting the Oscars"... wow.. 

He fell flat.. really flat.. during this show.   I honestly feel the best host ever was Billy Crystal.. clean humor, non-political, and clean.. we need that again, but alas, there is no one who does that type of humor....sigh...

I hate being right!!!!
)
((((((hugs)))))))    Sometimes, the overtime is not worth the feeling of overwork or exhaustion.....take care of yourself....don't you have a trip upcoming... you need to rest for that....

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Too lazy to look back and see who is looking at saws.  I wanted to let you know that hardware stores will cut wood for you.  Only one or two cuts unless it's a smaller store like Ace, so choose your piece with that in mind.  Also the larger stores like Home depot have smaller scrap pieces in a bin that you can purchase and have cut down as well.  You could also see if there is a boy scout troop or cub scout pack - even a girl scout troop that would be willing to build your cat tree.  There are woodworking badges and similar related badges that work with tools.  It could even be considered a community service project.

Yesterday i worked an extra shift at Amazon.  they switched some things around and one of my favorite jobs has changed.  A lot of people didn't like this job because it is too stressful.  Well, now i think it's stressful and so much more work.  A lot of walking is involved which I wouldn't mind but it's hard to pull off boxes when you aren't near the conveyor belt.  I also did the 'new' way at the first shift and was exhausted.  Happily they let some people off early and a nice person got me out using my scanner.  I left my phone at home so I have no idea ho many steps I took, but it was A LOT!  I have a suggestion to make this work better but it requires a 2nd person.  Not sure they'll go for it.

Tomorrow is my first day at Home Goods.  I have resisted going in there now that I have a discount.  Too many bills this month.

On the foster kitty update, Gerry is starting to stand up to Fluffy.  Twice now I have found all 3 cats in my bedroom resting after dinner.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
HUH...apparently there isn't much on my mind today.

OH YEAH!  I keep trying to get a picture of Hekitty on her new scratcher, but every time I pick up the dratted camera, she books for parts unknown!  That feline is the most frustrating little beast in nature (and I adore  her for it).  She LOVES IT!  Her banana now lives on the scratcher, and that says much.

I think my Email account may have gotten hacked.  Or something.  I got emails from Instagram saying that I had changed my password, and I had not, AND they showed  up on my email as having been read.  SO...off I go to change the email password, then off I go to Instagram to fix THAT.  SIGH...THEY want a pic of me holding a piece of paper with a code and my name and user name. I have taken the pic, but the batteries died in the camera before I got it uploaded.  I have to wait till they charge to send the pic in.  I'm not even sure that the accounts were hacked.  This might have been a big glitch, but I am taking no chances.

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

These are the reasons that god did not invent batteries with an infinite charge.  "Oh my cell phone battery/land line cordless phone battery died and I didn't realize it.  I had no idea that you called yesterday afternoon to see if I could come in during the evening.  I'm so sorry that it inconvenienced you.  I'll try to check my battery more often."
I thought about that. (And I usually do it when I have the deep feeling that I'm going to get called in, because I feel like I'm working far too much.) But then I thought about that hospital bill and how anxious they are to get it to collections...

I watched it also.. I was very surprised to see "Bonnie and Clyde" there-- what was with that???

I saw WB confusion, and handing the envelope to FD.. She looked at it, took a deep breathe, smiled and said, to the effect; "The winner  of picture of the year is LA-LA Land"....  then the chaos started.. I noticed the guy with the headphones... and both Warren Beatty and Faye Dunaway looked like deer in the headlights... it was really bad...

I will agree with Jimmy Kimmel's comment of: "Why can't we have them both win? Why can't we have both be winners??".. I immediately thought that was the best solution to this situation.. 

I could not believe Kimmel's honest relation, that this would be his "First and last time hosting the Oscars"... wow.. 

He fell flat.. really flat.. during this show.   I honestly feel the best host ever was Billy Crystal.. clean humor, non-political, and clean.. we need that again, but alas, there is no one who does that type of humor....sigh...

((((((hugs)))))))    Sometimes, the overtime is not worth the feeling of overwork or exhaustion.....take care of yourself....don't you have a trip upcoming... you need to rest for that....
I probably wouldn't be this tired (I went to bed early, figuring I was going to get called) if it hadn't been for Asia, AWM's bed, and the air. First, about two hours after I went to bed, Asia woke me, demanding pets. (She's been upset and anxious about SD's presence and absences and I think she needs the reassurance. And this was before the phone call, by the way.) I woke up to do that. Then I got the phone call, and it was too hot to go back to sleep, because to save money we had turned off the heating/cooling unit. (And also to save it--I think it's going out.), So I had to go out and turn that back on, to cool the house. Well, since AWM's room is cooler than mine (they all are--my room has next to nothing in the way of insulation) she offered to let me use her bed to sleep, so I did. I laid down on the bed and within moments I was itching head to toe because, although I'd forgotten this, I'm allergic to her fabric spray. (My skin seems to be allergic to a lot of things.) Still, I managed to get cool enough to sleep, so I went to bed--until RB came home from work and turned off  the heating/cooling unit to save electricity making it (because by that point it was over eighty outside) too hot to sleep again! 
 I am not  rested, and I already said I was going in to work. 
 Still, to make up for it AWM and RB are driving me, and maybe (although I freaking doubt it) my manager will manage to get me tomorrow  night off. Hope springs eternal, after all.

And no--I don't have a trip coming up. There was a convention I was going to go to back in the beginning of January, but that was cancelled because SD moved his surgery up a week.

HUH...apparently there isn't much on my mind today.

OH YEAH!  I keep trying to get a picture of Hekitty on her new scratcher, but every time I pick up the dratted camera, she books for parts unknown!  That feline is the most frustrating little beast in nature (and I adore  her for it).  She LOVES IT!  Her banana now lives on the scratcher, and that says much.

I think my Email account may have gotten hacked.  Or something.  I got emails from Instagram saying that I had changed my password, and I had not, AND they showed  up on my email as having been read.  SO...off I go to change the email password, then off I go to Instagram to fix THAT.  SIGH...THEY want a pic of me holding a piece of paper with a code and my name and user name. I have taken the pic, but the batteries died in the camera before I got it uploaded.  I have to wait till they charge to send the pic in.  I'm not even sure that the accounts were hacked.  This might have been a big glitch, but I am taking no chances.
It's best not to take chances with those, especially if you use your email to for work, paying bills, or any other personalized info.

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence

If you have an old bath matt, put that in the kitchen sink, gives them something to hang on to, and yes nothing on the counter. Honeybee doesn't like baths but she puts up with it. The trick is to get the cat used to the faucet running. Everyday have it on and pick them up and carry them in the room with the water running. Get them used to those noises. Also when using running water, make the water hit the back of your hand and not their fur, they don't understand that we don't mean them harm.

Honeybee didn't mind the bath if I used the bathmat in the sink (I lay it across the middle section, I have a double sink). And she actually didn't mind the water out of the faucet, she liked it! She just didn't like the sound it makes. She meows a lot and she also only has about 10 min window where she puts up with it, then tries like heck to get out. I also placed my hand in front of her chest, that seemed to hold her in. But either way works. The fleas hate soap. You will see those buggers crawl onto her head, get yourself a flea comb nearby and try to comb them out and have a glass of soapy water to dunk the flea comb in. And make sure you put the heat up in the room. They get cold easily. Lots of towels. Nothing on the counters. Wear an old winter jean jacket, it's claw proof.

Floey was only able to bathe if I used bowls of water in the tub. I couldn't turn the faucet on. For her I used old knitted gloves, put the gloves in the water, then pet the cat with the damp mittens/gloves (this also gets them used to being wet). Floey was a good girl. We had a 10 minute window: I would use the wet gloves, get her good and soaked, lather up,  then use a cup and dip it into the big bowls of warm water and rinse. I had at the time about 3 big plastic bowls that were like 3 or 4 quart sized. I had just enough water for her. She was actually quite well behaved. I held her by the front of her as she kept trying to climb out of the tub. I shut the bathroom door and ran the heat (forced hot air, nice and toasty) or if it's summer time don't run the ac. I only had to bathe her a few times the many years I had her. She hated brushings and I would just line the bathroom floor with towels and let her groom herself dry and have the heat vents aimed at her to blow dry her. She didn't tolerate the blow dryer at all.
why do you need to wash a cat unless it got into something that messed up her fur royally? The only cat of mine that gets a bath is my Persian and she has been used to that since she was a baby. Persians start to stink after a while because there is just so much hair that they can't take care of it themselves. Even my Maine Coon does not get a bath although his fur is as long as the Persian's but it does not tangle  and he takes care of it wonderfully himself with me brushing him with a wire brush BACKWARDS every two days. I don't understand why you would give  a cat a bath unless it stinks or got something all over itself that you can't get off. I suppose a cat who goes to cat shows might need a bath, but otherwise?

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
This is a pretty cat. She does seems to have discolored fur at her rear end or is that just the photo? If she is faded and used to be pretty black on her haunches and legs you might try L-Tyrosine from the healthfood store to make her fur black again. I did this for my all black semi-longhaired cat who turned brown and orange wherever his fur was the longest. This happens to SOME black longhaired cats, they lack an amino acid to make melanin to make their hair black. I break the capsule open and sprinkle its contents on my black cat's foods. It took about 6-9 months to make him all black again.

here you can see how brown and orange he got

and this is how he looks like now, he still has a little orange and white left on his tail which I hope will also go away.

arouetta

Top Cat
Purraise
It's best not to take chances with those, especially if you use your email to for work, paying bills, or any other personalized info.
I got an email from Google saying they had blocked a log in attempt on an unsecure system and basically chiding me for trying. But I hadn't. I stupidly didn't think anything of it since Google said it was blocked. A couple of weeks later I got the same email. That time I changed my password.

I also had a fairly unique online name that was the beginning part of my email address and my login name for every site. It was unique enough that if you saw it on the internet it was me. Every site no one was using it and if I found a site that said it was taken, password recovery proved I had been on the site before and just forgotten.

Well it was also my banking login. Two weeks after the second Google email my bank texted me asking about some transfers I didn't do. Oops.

So yeah, take every possible login attempt seriously. Even if they don't succeed, start changing stuff, because they might learn something about you anyway. My bank said it was actually a phone transfer, but the woman had to call repeatedly and knew more about me with each call.

arouetta

Top Cat
Purraise
why do you need to wash a cat unless it got into something that messed up her fur royally? The only cat of mine that gets a bath is my Persian and she has been used to that since she was a baby. Persians start to stink after a while because there is just so much hair that they can't take care of it themselves. Even my Maine Coon does not get a bath although his fur is as long as the Persian's but it does not tangle  and he takes care of it wonderfully himself with me brushing him with a wire brush BACKWARDS every two days. I don't understand why you would give  a cat a bath unless it stinks or got something all over itself that you can't get off. I suppose a cat who goes to cat shows might need a bath, but otherwise?
The reason for this thread is a flea infestation and a cat allergic to flea bites. But there are other reasons. My allergies were far better under control when I bathed my cats weekly. I only stopped because one cat started matting badly and I didn't see the sense in washing the rest but not her.

arouetta

Top Cat
Purraise
What's on my mind.....

I never thought that my job would be paying me to discuss baby poop.

I was working (among other things) at the fitting room today and I was sorting stuff when a woman came out.  She asked a curious question, if we were getting rid of our maternity section.  We started talking and she named 4 different stores that told her they either had or will be getting rid of their maternity sections.  She was going to be a first time mom and she and her husband didn't have a clue what they would need, pre- or post-birth.  They mentioned he was recently out of the military so I'm guessing that's why Mom or MIL wasn't there helping.

Some of this newfangled baby stuff has me utterly clueless.  My baby is 23 so I don't know all the little knickknacks.  I found out just two weeks ago that crib bumpers no longer exist.  Formula?  Um, you mix it with water....I think.  But there are some things that I do remember.  So we discussed to not buy a lot of nursing bras until you and the kid settle into a routine as you have no clue what your size will be.  We discussed disposable vs reusable nipple pads.  We discussed lanolin.  We discussed not buying a lot of newborn stuff and not a lot of cutesy clothes, the best thing would be to put onsies of several different sizes on the registry because they grow so fast and they need clean clothes 5 times a day.  We discussed something I feel is always overlooked, hooded towels.  She asked if she should get a breast pump, so we evaluated her needs.  I did a little above and beyond there, discussed federal law concerning the right to pump at work and how supply meets demand so if she didn't pump, she'd have a baby latching on every hour over the weekend because her milk production would be down and then come Monday she would feel like she was about to explode because the supply would have been raised but nothing was being taken out.  We went over the different types of breast pumps.  I talked about how the specials on diapers typically worked so they could keep those costs down.  And then I was asked what a "blowout" was because they had heard the term and knew it had to do with diapers but didn't really know.

So yeah, detailing baby poop.

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so annoyed at my mother right now!  Big surprise there, right?  *sarcastic eye roll*  She dropped my sister off at her boyfriend's Friday with a lot of rules to follow if she is to continue living there.  The rules (I think) are pretty reasonable for the most part.  The problem?  One of those rules is that Danielle has to call/text her every day.  Well, it sounds reasonable until you realize that Danielle was dropped off Friday with no money and her phone bill was due today.  I almost feel like my mother was setting her up to fail so she could say, "Well, I tried but you didn't follow my rules so now you have to come back."  So, I'm paying the phone bill for her this time so she'll have time to find a job or some way of paying it before it's due again.  Urg!

There can be a lot of reasons for bathing cats.  Personally, I avoid it unless it's ABSOLUTELY necessary.  Especially with Mickey.  He's quite the little murder floof when water is involved.  He got a bath when he first moved in because he smelled like car exhaust.  I think he missed becoming a pancake by a very narrow margin.  And then he got another bath a few weeks ago when he sneaked out to the hallway and came back in smelling like he'd rolled in something rotten.  Someone suggested that maybe a neighbor's trash leaked.  I can't think of any other explanation.

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got an email from Google saying they had blocked a log in attempt on an unsecure system and basically chiding me for trying. But I hadn't. I stupidly didn't think anything of it since Google said it was blocked. A couple of weeks later I got the same email. That time I changed my password.

I also had a fairly unique online name that was the beginning part of my email address and my login name for every site. It was unique enough that if you saw it on the internet it was me. Every site no one was using it and if I found a site that said it was taken, password recovery proved I had been on the site before and just forgotten.

Well it was also my banking login. Two weeks after the second Google email my bank texted me asking about some transfers I didn't do. Oops.

So yeah, take every possible login attempt seriously. Even if they don't succeed, start changing stuff, because they might learn something about you anyway. My bank said it was actually a phone transfer, but the woman had to call repeatedly and knew more about me with each call.
I wonder why that didn't raise any flags at the bank. 

I am so annoyed at my mother right now!  Big surprise there, right?  *sarcastic eye roll*  She dropped my sister off at her boyfriend's Friday with a lot of rules to follow if she is to continue living there.  The rules (I think) are pretty reasonable for the most part.  The problem?  One of those rules is that Danielle has to call/text her every day.  Well, it sounds reasonable until you realize that Danielle was dropped off Friday with no money and her phone bill was due today.  I almost feel like my mother was setting her up to fail so she could say, "Well, I tried but you didn't follow my rules so now you have to come back."  So, I'm paying the phone bill for her this time so she'll have time to find a job or some way of paying it before it's due again.  Urg!

There can be a lot of reasons for bathing cats.  Personally, I avoid it unless it's ABSOLUTELY necessary.  Especially with Mickey.  He's quite the little murder floof when water is involved.  He got a bath when he first moved in because he smelled like car exhaust.  I think he missed becoming a pancake by a very narrow margin.  And then he got another bath a few weeks ago when he sneaked out to the hallway and came back in smelling like he'd rolled in something rotten.  Someone suggested that maybe a neighbor's trash leaked.  I can't think of any other explanation.
At least she has you looking out for you. (Some predators will roll in smelly stuff to mask their scent, it's instinctual. Not that I'm saying you should let him reek, mind you, but just explaining the behavior.)

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I had a customer complain that I'm a liar last night. (The night before he asked if I was going to be there last night, and I said no, because I wasn't scheduled to be.) I explained that I was called in, he asked why, and I said, "Because life happens." (That's all I'll tell customers when I get called in unexpectedly.) Well, my manager isn't going to be able to come in today, so I'm probably still working tonight. And I'm tired. Really tired. And for some reason, no matter how much I eat I still feel hungry. I'm not sure why. 

I'm sorry for whining.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

How much are phone bills? It might be a good idea to go down to something more managable. There are plans that are pay by month for like 25 dollars a month. 

Status
Not open for further replies.