The "What's on your mind?" Thread -2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
So funny story from today.

I haven't gotten a local PCP because the doctors' offices here have crazy long wait times for new patients.  I feel sorry for the person who moves here with a case of strep throat, the shortest wait time I've found is 2 months for a new patient sick appointment.  The longest so far is 5 months.

Yeah, I'm not waiting.  I drove the 100 miles to my old PCP.

I chose a route that is a bit rural but heavily traveled and bypasses the areas that always have a major backup.  Hence why it's heavily traveled.  Four lanes, divided by a grassy median.  I'm driving back, not paying attention to my speed in the slightest.  I was a bad girl and was in the left lane and while I knew I was moving at a pretty good clip I was getting passed on the right from time to time.  I was kinda aware that there was someone behind me, not that close but not that far and he hadn't been there the whole time, but I didn't pay any real attention as he wasn't kissing my bumper.

I go over a low hill and speed trap!  The cop was sitting still in the left turn lane coming from the other direction.  All he would have to do is take a quick U-turn.  I look down, 65.  The posted limit is 55.  I braked abruptly just long enough to get to 60 in a hurry and passed him at that speed.  What I said, well this site is used in schools, use your imagination.  What I prayed was that he was pretty generous in how much above the limit he would ignore people.

As I passed him, he started moving forward.  Same vocal censored word.  I watched him in my rear-view mirror, sure enough he made a U-turn and turned on his lights.  Same vocal censored word.  (Okay, so my sailor vocabulary isn't very inventive.)  Yeah, I'm busted.  Maybe if I sound pitiful enough while describing the steroid shot and the tendonitis in three different places in the same arm he'll let me off with a warning.  Maybe, right?

He was still a bit back, since moving from a stopped position and making the U-turn slowed him down, but I pulled all the way over to the right immediately.  What's the sense in making him get close before pulling over?  And then he went right past me and pulled over the guy that had been behind me until I pulled over.  Whew!!!!

I guess the guy behind me was moving significantly faster than me, since the cop ignored the easy prey (me, I was virtually stopped) and went after him.

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

So funny story from today.

I haven't gotten a local PCP because the doctors' offices here have crazy long wait times for new patients.  I feel sorry for the person who moves here with a case of strep throat, the shortest wait time I've found is 2 months for a new patient sick appointment.  The longest so far is 5 months.

Yeah, I'm not waiting.  I drove the 100 miles to my old PCP.

I chose a route that is a bit rural but heavily traveled and bypasses the areas that always have a major backup.  Hence why it's heavily traveled.  Four lanes, divided by a grassy median.  I'm driving back, not paying attention to my speed in the slightest.  I was a bad girl and was in the left lane and while I knew I was moving at a pretty good clip I was getting passed on the right from time to time.  I was kinda aware that there was someone behind me, not that close but not that far and he hadn't been there the whole time, but I didn't pay any real attention as he wasn't kissing my bumper.

I go over a low hill and speed trap!  The cop was sitting still in the left turn lane coming from the other direction.  All he would have to do is take a quick U-turn.  I look down, 65.  The posted limit is 55.  I braked abruptly just long enough to get to 60 in a hurry and passed him at that speed.  What I said, well this site is used in schools, use your imagination.  What I prayed was that he was pretty generous in how much above the limit he would ignore people.

As I passed him, he started moving forward.  Same vocal censored word.  I watched him in my rear-view mirror, sure enough he made a U-turn and turned on his lights.  Same vocal censored word.  (Okay, so my sailor vocabulary isn't very inventive.)  Yeah, I'm busted.  Maybe if I sound pitiful enough while describing the steroid shot and the tendonitis in three different places in the same arm he'll let me off with a warning.  Maybe, right?

He was still a bit back, since moving from a stopped position and making the U-turn slowed him down, but I pulled all the way over to the right immediately.  What's the sense in making him get close before pulling over?  And then he went right past me and pulled over the guy that had been behind me until I pulled over.  Whew!!!!

I guess the guy behind me was moving significantly faster than me, since the cop ignored the easy prey (me, I was virtually stopped) and went after him.
 Your lucky star was certainly shining! 

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background

Well for the heck of it I have decided to look at ads of lake land and see what I can find..ug To find a lake or pond that is not built up is very hard to find. Man I should have saved my money from years ago..I could have had enough to buy enough land to hide in the woods for years..the taxes for 100 acres is like $600~ omg! Of course I know I will never see the day I can afford land..but hey it's ok to dream right?! And wow some people have made a killing off land! I just want a basic 4-5 acre lot. Enough room to not see or hear my neighbors and the cats won't bother them...I know I am insane to even think about moving in the north woods of Maine...all I need is a well, a driveway and a solar powered thingy to run the well pump...I have seen some camps that run off propane for their refrigerator and well pump etc. hmm...

I could picture myself in the middle of the wilderness somewhere....
Okay, but what about your significant other?

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I'm quitting smoking again.  Had my last cigarette about an hour ago.  Told John to ignore me if I get too snippy.  We'll see how this goes.  But, I stopped taking birth control and we're working on having a baby so I have a lot of incentive.

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad to hear it! 

Well, I'm quitting smoking again.  Had my last cigarette about an hour ago.  Told John to ignore me if I get too snippy.  We'll see how this goes.  But, I stopped taking birth control and we're working on having a baby so I have a lot of incentive.
 Now that is shocking, but good news! Hope it all goes well for you! 

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know if anyone remembers (or really cares), but some time ago I mentioned that I got a (cheap) monthly subscription box, just because I need something positive to look forward to. (It's been a rough year.) So, anyway, I got an email saying that my box (for this month) will be here anytime between today and Tuesday. 
 The description of the box reads, "A book, a surprise, and something cozy." Hehe. I can't wait! 

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I don't know if anyone remembers (or really cares), but some time ago I mentioned that I got a (cheap) monthly subscription box, just because I need something positive to look forward to. (It's been a rough year.) So, anyway, I got an email saying that my box (for this month) will be here anytime between today and Tuesday. 
 The description of the box reads, "A book, a surprise, and something cozy." Hehe. I can't wait! 

Which one do you get?? I see a lot of reviews on subscription boxes on Youtube. They are starting to have them for everything! 

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Lilith and Sophie had a birthday on Sunday. We have no idea when their birthday(s) are but DD wanted them to share hers so I went with it. I got them a new toy. This one

Sophie went nuts for it. Lily saw her playing with it and tried to join in but Miss Sophiesaurus wasn't having it. She was being a little butterfly hog. So I ordered a second one. You'd think that that would do the trick. Nope. Sophie wanted BOTH of them. Lily did get some play time in but then she decided that she'd just take over the dog's bed and watch Sophie play while lounging like the little queen she is.  

The toy is very easy to knock over and when Sophie knocked BOTH of them over she wailed until I picked them up. Then she knocked them down again. 

The reviewers on Amazon suggest hot gluing the toy to an upside down dessert plate to keep it from falling over. I think I'll hit Dollar Tree to see if I can find a couple. The butterfly on the first toy is more limping than flying through the air... I'll have to hit a craft store to see if they sell anything I can switch it out for when hurricane Sophie takes the poor thing out once and for all. 
Update on this toy. It's a HUGE hit with the girls. They love it. They also already destroyed the butterfly. Sophie was grabbing the butterfly and dragging the toy around by it so I glued it to an upside down dessert plate. Did that solve anything? Nope. She can still knock it over and then yells when she can't chase the butterfly anymore. 

Yesterday, she ripped the butterfly clean in half. Half came off and half is still attached. I found some garden butterflies on Amazon that I am going to try to replace it with. That poor thing has been beat to heck and back. Hopefully this will work. 

I ended up buying a second one. That's the one we still have. The first one is gone. Someone dragged it to the middle of the living room floor where mommy stepped on it and it broke. Mommy got yelled at so Mommy ordered them a new, different but similar toy to make it up to them. It should be here on Friday. They are still miffed.  Mommy can't win. 

It's this one

Last edited:

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I heard back from the rental. They want me to fill out an application. Since when do we fill out application to rent for a week???

I have continued searching incase this one doesn't work out. I have to wait until next week to hear if I am even approved to rent. Now I am paying CASH for the rental. Not sure what all this means.

Either way I have one more option of a rental but it's in July. the last 2 weeks or middle ones..so I am going to contact that guy to find out if those are still available if my rental falls through. I still haven't heard back from the one in Ellsworth. That one is in the middle of no where.

Either way I sure wish I had money for a camper and buy some land, put in power and drill a well...and voila....lol.

Lunchtime jog right now. Jon's now sick with my cold. He says hes going to build a house inside his storage container. I told him he's nuts. I said if I never touched him he would still catch it.

Little Honeybee started sneezing this morning too. Pumps didn't eat as much but she perked up for treats. It's just got to run it's course.

and of course I need time off to check out this camp up in July. they said we could come by. I think we should at least check it out. Sure wish August was open. God I keep kicking myself..I wonder if the old rentals wife just didn't like me..so many strange things that happened..she said the oven was broken but when I checked it out it was still usable. All the burners worked...she said something about not wanting people to use the stove..I am like well since the house doesn't belong to her=it's her husbands who I KNEW way before she came along then it's obvious what's going on. She runs the house. This is what I am talking about. Some women have so much pressure on the man that they just do whatever the lady tells them..I knew I screwed up. I should have been a shrew...but no that's just not who I am. I would hate to control anyone like that.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What the heck is a subscription box?
Kind of a grab-bag sort of thing. You pay a certain amount and they mail you a surprise box every month. You can get themed boxes (makeup, pet stuff, video game stuff, nerdy stuff, etc.). They seem pretty popular. I wonder how many are gifts and how many were purchased for themselves?

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Kind of a grab-bag sort of thing. You pay a certain amount and they mail you a surprise box every month. You can get themed boxes (makeup, pet stuff, video game stuff, nerdy stuff, etc.). They seem pretty popular. I wonder how many are gifts and how many were purchased for themselves
The reviews I have seen are people who get them for themselves. Wrestlecrate, Coastercrate (roller coaster related stuff), Video game stuff, you name it

arouetta

Top Cat
Purraise

The reviews I have seen are people who get them for themselves. Wrestlecrate, Coastercrate (roller coaster related stuff), Video game stuff, you name it
My husband was getting Loot Crate for a while.  It was interesting.  Some things in the box were lame, some things really neat.  He hid the Simpsons wallet made out of Tyvek because I was determined to, um, liberate it from him.

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kind of a grab-bag sort of thing. You pay a certain amount and they mail you a surprise box every month. You can get themed boxes (makeup, pet stuff, video game stuff, nerdy stuff, etc.). They seem pretty popular. I wonder how many are gifts and how many were purchased for themselves?
Totally never heard of them. So are they like a dollar a month or much more expensive? Obviously they vary in price I suppose.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Totally never heard of them. So are they like a dollar a month or much more expensive? Obviously they vary in price I suppose.
Haha, is anything a dollar a month? The most common price point I see is $20 a month, though I'm sure there are some for more and some for less. They claim the retail value of the merchandise will be more than what you pay---if they buy a bunch at wholesale prices they can afford that.

Last edited:

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well This is annoying. I am looking over rentals and there are several places on tripadvisor with inadequate pricing. One place says $1200 a week but when I inquire about it they said it's $2400 a week. (WAY OUT OF MY BUDGET) and I copied the screen to the email and they said it could be off season price. I said I put in the august dates I am looking for. So be wary of prices on these sites. I found one camp I really like and three different sites have 3 different prices...

I almost think I am just going to say forget it this year. Who knew finding a rental is so hard??!! I almost think I would have been better off going with the rental from July that I found on Craigslist. I will contact him next week to find out if it's still available. The one I have put money down I doubt it will work out. So either I will loose the $1500 I put down or ?. The application for the rental is really bugging me. I mean I am paying cash. and they have my home address and everything. I guess some people have burned others so bad that it's scary to rent to just anyone. I have a good work history and credit is just about A- so I don't think it would be turned down.

God I should have just shut my mouth and stuck with the one on Swan Lake but I didn't like her mixed messages and not answering questions. And in this day and age how do you know it's not a scam? Anyone can take photos of a home and try to rent it out...good grief.

arouetta

Top Cat
Purraise

Well This is annoying. I am looking over rentals and there are several places on tripadvisor with inadequate pricing. One place says $1200 a week but when I inquire about it they said it's $2400 a week. (WAY OUT OF MY BUDGET) and I copied the screen to the email and they said it could be off season price. I said I put in the august dates I am looking for. So be wary of prices on these sites. I found one camp I really like and three different sites have 3 different prices...

I almost think I am just going to say forget it this year. Who knew finding a rental is so hard??!! I almost think I would have been better off going with the rental from July that I found on Craigslist. I will contact him next week to find out if it's still available. The one I have put money down I doubt it will work out. So either I will loose the $1500 I put down or ?. The application for the rental is really bugging me. I mean I am paying cash. and they have my home address and everything. I guess some people have burned others so bad that it's scary to rent to just anyone. I have a good work history and credit is just about A- so I don't think it would be turned down.

God I should have just shut my mouth and stuck with the one on Swan Lake but I didn't like her mixed messages and not answering questions. And in this day and age how do you know it's not a scam? Anyone can take photos of a home and try to rent it out...good grief.
What about Airbnb?  Surely there's people that live in the middle of nowhere who want to visit Disneyland in the summer.

As far as the money, how did you put it down?  Is it something that could be reversed by the bank?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I really must get off of here and begin prepping to put the new daybed together.  I think I'm going to have to move my desk just a little bit, and one shelf, but that isn't a huge deal.  I have started sweeping, and may have to call in professional dust bunny trappers.  One of them GROWLED at me!

Status
Not open for further replies.