The "What's on your mind?" Thread -2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise

It's the sweeteners.  Soda is primarily either high fructose corn syrup or artificial sweeteners, and neither one is good for you.
I hear that Coca Cola in both Canada and Mexico are made with sugar instead and tastes tons better.

Pepsi for a bit used sugar in Sierra Mist, but put high fructose corn syrup back in when they changed it to Mist Twist.  There was a definite difference in taste.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

It's the sweeteners.  Soda is primarily either high fructose corn syrup or artificial sweeteners, and neither one is good for you.
I hear that Coca Cola in both Canada and Mexico are made with sugar instead and tastes tons better.

Pepsi for a bit used sugar in Sierra Mist, but put high fructose corn syrup back in when they changed it to Mist Twist.  There was a definite difference in taste.
But sugar is also bad for you.

I've heard that one of the colas, I forget which one, is introducing a new version that uses sugar rather than HFCS, and adds some stevia as well so they can reduce the amount of sugar, but there are only a few places where it's available.

Margret

arouetta

Top Cat
Purraise
I had switched from soda to unsweetened tea successfully over the summer.  Then I started getting really sick periodically throughout the day every day.  Dizzy, drained, shaky, clammy.  I finally tracked it down to the tea.  Same reaction to both regular and decaf, and I used no additives.  Sigh.

I changed to ice water only for a short time and then made the mistake of asking Santa for a Sodastream for Christmas.  Oops!

Sodastream has a really weird mixture of ingredients.  My favorite flavor, cherry soda, has sugar, acesulfame potassium and Splenda, even though it's not the diet version.  My husband's favorite is diet orange and it has the acesulfame potassium and Splenda.  The Sodastream waters my daughter likes has erythritol, Stevia and burnt sugar syrup.

So on the plus side, no Nutrasweet and less calories.  On the minus side, it's got just about every other kind of sweetener.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Alternative sweeteners worry me just as much if not more than sugar. Too many of them have been found to be unhealthy.

We're having some problems here with neighborhood cats. I don't know if they belong to someone or are strays, but the two I usually see are both ear tipped, so they're at least fixed.  They've been coming up to the sliding door and looking in. This is driving Ruby insane. Canterwalling, full poof, insane. Problem is if either of the other cats approach her in this state, she is likely to turn on them. I have no idea how to keep these guys from coming up to the door. I'm wondering if the last people who lived here may have fed these guys since they sit right out there looking in cautiously. 

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

And I, personally, don't believe in "dumb" questions.  Not asking about something that you don't know the answer to is dumb.  Asking is a sign of intelligence.

Margret
Amen. I hate artificial sweeteners and I think HFCS is the worst. Pepsi does make a real sugar cola. They sell it in 12 packs. You have to look for it. The box is all blue. It's much better than the usual

Mexican Coke does indeed have real sugar in it. It's sold in glass bottles too! Mexican sodas are quite good. I like Jarritos. They sell them in stores in the latin food aisle. WM has them for .75  a bottle (also glass) and they have a decent variety of flavors. http://jarritos.com

ETA- I agree- asking is a sign of intelligence. It shows a desire to learn. Once can never be too rich or too smart. That's what I say.

Last edited:

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

But sugar is also bad for you.

I've heard that one of the colas, I forget which one, is introducing a new version that uses sugar rather than HFCS, and adds some stevia as well so they can reduce the amount of sugar, but there are only a few places where it's available.

Margret
Of course, stevia has its own problems. 

Amen. I hate artificial sweeteners and I think HFCS is the worst. Pepsi does make a real sugar cola. They sell it in 12 packs. You have to look for it. The box is all blue. It's much better than the usual

Mexican Coke does indeed have real sugar in it. It's sold in glass bottles too! Mexican sodas are quite good. I like Jarritos. They sell them in stores in the latin food aisle. WM has them for .75  a bottle (also glass) and they have a decent variety of flavors. http://jarritos.com

ETA- I agree- asking is a sign of intelligence. It shows a desire to learn. Once can never be too rich or too smart. That's what I say.
I think I'm just swearing off all  soda. And I agree--there's no such thing as a stupid question.

Well, work was actually pretty good last night. I went to clean the bathrooms and discovered--that they were clean! I was so happy that I didn't even mind that no one took garbage. (Hey, between garbage and bathrooms, I'll take garbage--I have to every day anyway!)

Last edited:

arouetta

Top Cat
Purraise
What's on my mind......

Rhetorical question.  Why is it that the official medical term for a cat's fangs are "canines"?  Shouldn't they be called "felines"?

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I think the term has something in common with the word "carnivore" which simply means "meat-eater".
Nope; simply from the nominative neuter singular of "canis," (caninus) in Latin: "dog" / "doglike."  "Carnivore," is derived from, "caro" - the same etymological root whence our, "carnal," and, "carnage," is derived (both arguably from the earlier Greek ("κείρω") for, "meat" - literally, "I cut off...").

arouetta

Top Cat
Purraise

Nope; simply from the nominative neuter singular of "canis," (caninus) in Latin: "dog" / "doglike."  "Carnivore," is derived from, "caro" - the same etymological root whence our, "carnal," and, "carnage," is derived (both arguably from the earlier Greek ("κείρω") for, "meat" - literally, "I cut off...").

Trying to picture how "carnal" fits into "carnage".....um, yeah, the mind is going blank, lol.

But the "canis" is why I think fangs should be "felines".  They aren't dogs.  They're cats.  Why insult them with a dog term?

I do like the scientific name of the cat, felis catus.  Nice and simple, you can't mistake that name.  I always wondered if the scientific name of the wild cat, felis silvestris, was influenced by Loony Toons (Sylvester).  Or the opposite, if the wild cat's scientific name influenced the cartoon.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Holy moly Jon is looking at joining Planet Fitness! I have been trying to get him to go with me for MONTHS. He said if he can wear Jeans he will go. I said just wear sweats the first time you go then after that don't worry about it. I have seen elderly men and women there on the treadmill walking the best they can in jeans. I told him use your age for goodness sake. you earned it!!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had to take Sammie in today for her dental follow up. Poor baby was so stressed riding in the car, she actually started panting! That scared me.  

I put the air on & all vents on her. ...Had Nora Jones playing low ... Trying to sooth her. 

Angel never did that. He usually quieted down after a few minutes. Not her!  

Vet said the extraction healed up nicely & she is perfect!  Poor girl, does not like going to the vet! 

Hopefully she won't have to go back now for almost a year until it's shot time again. 

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I had to take Sammie in today for her dental follow up. Poor baby was so stressed riding in the car, she actually started panting! That scared me.  

I put the air on & all vents on her. ...Had Nora Jones playing low ... Trying to sooth her. 

Vet said the extraction healed up nicely & she is perfect!  Poor girl, does not like going to the vet! 

Hopefully she won't have to go back now for almost a year until it's shot time again. 
Ouch. Maybe treats help? When I took the cats to get fixed and their rabies shots last year I took a bag of treats in so the vet could give them treats giving them something "positive" in the experience. (Ra still freaks out at the car though, so that didn't work as well as I'd hoped.)

Well, tomorrow is the AM's last day, so I made her cupcakes. (But Tally, you didn't make cupcakes for any of your other coworkers who were leaving. Well, true, but I actually had warning for this one.)

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a great vacation.  I'm sure I missed a lot while I was gone!  I might skim through the last several pages later.  The wedding was beautiful.  And I just finished buying my boys their birthday present.

I hope they enjoy it.

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence

So using some convoluted thinking I was on the right track. I did study Latin once upon a time and later took linguistic courses so some of it must have stuck although it all was a very long time ago. I still enjoy languages though and how they are related and change over time. Knowing more than one and having a nodding acquaintance with a few more also helps. 

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ouch. Maybe treats help? When I took the cats to get fixed and their rabies shots last year I took a bag of treats in so the vet could give them treats giving them something "positive" in the experience. (Ra still freaks out at the car though, so that didn't work as well as I'd hoped.)

I've tried putting treats in the carrier before, & she wanted nothing to do with them. Angel never did either.
Too nervous. They have them in the exam rooms too, but usually do not offer. Cats were usually too nervouse being there to take them.
I especially wouldn't do that today, until she was cleared by the vet, that her extraction was healed.
She does not get any dry food. Only wet. After going through cystitis w/ Angel, (even after being switched to wet), I would never feed a cat dry. Just not worth taking the chance. Im Still paying that care credit!

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Her paws were probably clammy as well.  That's the only place where cats actually perspire, and is one of the ways you can tell that they're stressed.

I'm an adult human, with a good doctor, and I still have white coat syndrome -- i.e. my blood pressure always tests higher in the doctor's office than at home.  When I was a child I would always worry every time our route took us past our pediatrician's office, for fear that my mother might decide to stop in for a few vaccinations or something.  She never did that, but I certainly imagined it!  Considering where the thermometer goes, and all of the shots and palpations involved in even the most elementary vet visit, it's no surprise that most cats find them traumatic.  But they also seem to recover quickly.

Margret

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww, I'm sure. Yes, luckily they do recover as soon as you get home. I was hesitant to let her go out when we got home, since it was 4:45, & the sun has been setting a little after 6:00 now. I was worried she wouldn't come in before dark after all of that.
I fed her, then let her go for a little bit, & as always said a little prayer. Well, she only stayed out for 30 minutes. I said, "good girl!" Of course she wanted back out, but...Nope! Not happening! In for the night baby! ...Now go finish your din din.
:D
Here she is earlier this evening. All worn out from that stressful (a little over an) hour.

Status
Not open for further replies.