The "What's on your mind?" Thread -2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Help me out folks. I want to ask a question about the bone structure of cat tails..long hair vs. short hair. But have no idea where to put the question.
Something I've noticed before in my long hairs, but never gave much thought to. Until last night when Samai was being super cuddly and actually let me pet her without it becoming a blood bath.

So where would I ask this type of question.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Help me out folks. I want to ask a question about the bone structure of cat tails..long hair vs. short hair. But have no idea where to put the question.
Something I've noticed before in my long hairs, but never gave much thought to. Until last night when Samai was being super cuddly and actually let me pet her without it becoming a blood bath.

So where would I ask this type of question.
After looking over the forums list I'd have to say that you're already in the correct forum - The cat lounge - you're just one level too deep. Click this link: The Cat Lounge to go up a level and start a new thread.

Margret

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After looking over the forums list I'd have to say that you're already in the correct forum - The cat lounge - you're just one level too deep. Click this link: The Cat Lounge to go up a level and start a new thread.

Margret
:thanks:

Edit: I decided to put it in The Cat's Meow, since it is about cats. But you gave me the right direction on it, so thank you again.

Last edited:

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I gained no weight between my last 2 appointments. My doctor wants me to do a calorie count for a few days. I'm gonna start it today. The problem is going to be remembering to write down the calories every time I eat something. And I don't know how many calories are in the things I cook. I think I'll just stick to simple foods with few ingredients so it'll be easier to figure out.

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
With home cooked meals the only real way to determine calories is to determine the calories for each item you are putting in the dish. That means being aware of serving size and how many servings you are putting in, and adding that all together. Then look at how much of the whole you are eating (one half of the dish? one quarter?) and start dividing.

There's an app called MyPlate that I used. It was a bit clunky at first, but it gets easier to use the more you use it. It would allow you to put whole meals in. The problem was that you have to do it right the first time as you can't go back and change the amount of one item, you have to delete and start over. But once the meal is stored, you can just click on it the next time you have the same meal. And it adds it into your day by each ingredient instead of the meal name, so if you altered the recipe to put in more of one thing or substituted another, you can alter only that item in your daily intake.

There's other apps that actually scan bar codes, which could make them easier to use and less clunky than MyPlate. If you are making a meal you could scan the bar codes of the flour bag, the milk jug, the cheese package, etc. I didn't give them a fair trial though as the exercise part didn't work as well as MyPlate.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I gained no weight between my last 2 appointments. My doctor wants me to do a calorie count for a few days. I'm gonna start it today. The problem is going to be remembering to write down the calories every time I eat something. And I don't know how many calories are in the things I cook. I think I'll just stick to simple foods with few ingredients so it'll be easier to figure out.
I think most spices are pretty much calorie free, so use whatever spices you like and don't worry about writing those down.

Margret

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never had to calorie count before. It's already seeming like a pain in the butt. Fortunately, I only have to do it for 3 days. Right now I'm taking the easy way out and making a pizza. The package tells me how many calories. Lol

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know your normal diet, but load up on the fats.

If you are a cheesaholic like I am, I started cutting my blocks into individual servings once the wrapper is opened so I would always know how much cheese calories I was imbibing. A lot of other packaged foods can be done that way as well.

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm an eveythingaholic. I love food. I think my doctor will be surprised by my calorie intake. I've always been an oinker and abhor eating anything low fat or fat free. I just have a very high metabolism. Good thing, too, or I'd probably weigh at least 500 lbs!

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
I'm an eveythingaholic. I love food. I think my doctor will be surprised by my calorie intake. I've always been an oinker and abhor eating anything low fat or fat free. I just have a very high metabolism. Good thing, too, or I'd probably weigh at least 500 lbs!
I have found that if you just eat half as much as what you ate before but eat everything you ate before you will loose weight and you won't feel deprived, don't have to count calories or do all those other things that none of us do for more than a few days. I too like, no, love everything full-fat, none of that low calorie stuff for me and I have found that to eat half of what I used to eat had me loose more than if I "watched" what I ate.

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My current problem is an inability to Gaston weight. I haven't gained enough with this pregnancy to make my OB happy. Regardless of how much I eat, my whole life, I've twittered on the line of being underweight. It's just the way I am.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My current problem is an inability to Gaston weight. I haven't gained enough with this pregnancy to make my OB happy. Regardless of how much I eat, my whole life, I've twittered on the line of being underweight. It's just the way I am.
My mother had the same problem when she was pregnant with me. They bugged her about it all through her pregnancy with me. I was born completely normal. My mom had the same problem when she was pregnant with my sister, but they quit bugging her since apparently it can be just a "family trait" not to gain much.

One thing to keep in mind with this also is that me and my sister were both born in the 80th percentile in terms of length and weight and then didn't gain the way that they wanted us too over our first few years of our lives. Same problem. It's a "family trait", but they spent plenty of time poking and prodding me to make sure there wasn't something wrong. Just know not too worry too much if you or your kid doesn't fall in the spectrum of the doctors' normal. It can be something to worry about, but it can also just be what is your normal or your child's normal. :wink:

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
Chamomile is safe for cats? I've got some tea that is 100% chamomile. If it's safe I'll give it to them, though I won't drink it, that tastes gross to me. I'll stick with black tea and peppermint tea.
This site says it's OK.

Toxic Plants

However, this is considered the definitive site and it says it's NOT OK

Toxic and Non-Toxic Plant List - Cats

This latter list is a good one to bookmark and have handy. Believe it or not poinsettias are NOT toxic! I went to a poinsettia festival and the speaker said one would have to eat the equivalent of quite a few plants to even get a stomachache.

I'd go with Feliway. It's what the vets and catteries use. Two different vets recommended it to us, including one board-certified feline behaviorist. It made a big difference. Chewey has decent prices. Get the diffuser, not the spray or collar.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.