Cat Tails....long Hair Vs. Short Hair

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I noticed this before and didn't think about it until I was petting my long haired kitten.
When I ran my fingers down the bone of the tail, I noticed the last bone is bent or kinked. I have noticed this in most of my long haired cats. But never the short haired. If this is something that happens in the womb, why only the long haired?

So my question is...Does your cat's tail have a kink on the very last bone, and if so, is it a long or short haired cat?

I'm curious to see if this is just a coincidence or if there's something to this thought.

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
Neither of my boys have a kink, one's a short hair, the other is a long hair. When I bathe the long hair one, his ostrich plume tail turns into a rat tail and I haven't seen a kink during those times either.

They are also both upset with me for checking. They seem to be quite protective of their tails and think I shouldn't be touching their tails. I think that if they don't want them touched, then they shouldn't lay on the floor in a way that the tail is straight out and therefore prone to being stepped on when someone takes a step back or is carrying something that blocks view of the feet.

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The only one of my cats (6 long haired 4 short haired) that has a kinked tail is Shadow (long haired), but that is because she broke her tail when she was a few week old kitten. My best guess is she climbed up on something and fell, she ending up with a broken tail and a minor leg strain. The leg just needed rest to heal, but the tail the vet couldn't do much about.

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
As far as your initial post...your cats, were they bred in your home? Or did you get them from somewhere else?

My own snarky comment towards my own cats might hold a kernel of truth. How many of those kittens got their tails stepped on or whatever and the break healed super fast without anyone noticing that the tail got hurt in the first place? If the owners of the queens didn't notice, then nothing could have been said when the kitten was given to you.

LotsOfFur

What greater gift than the love of a cat.
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 2 DSH that have kinks at the end of their tails. One is more obvious and prominent, the other is definitely more subtle. I don't know where I heard it but I thought that slight kink was thought to show probable/possible Oriental heritage somewhere along the lines... :think:

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had both long hairs and short hairs; no kinks.

They are also both upset with me for checking. They seem to be quite protective of their tails and think I shouldn't be touching their tails. I think that if they don't want them touched, then they shouldn't lay on the floor in a way that the tail is straight out and therefore prone to being stepped on when someone takes a step back or is carrying something that blocks view of the feet.
Cats don't really know where their tails are until something happens to the tail, which acts like it has a mind of its own -- ever seen a cat grooming its tail? The cat has to hold the tail down like a fractious kitten to do it. :crackup:

Margret

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As far as your initial post...your cats, were they bred in your home? Or did you get them from somewhere else?
Every single one of my cats has been either from a shelter or were orphaned at a very young age. The Mau doesn't count as he was actually my son's.

I am not talking about an obvious kink. The very last bone of the tail has a 'bend' to it. Not the tail itself, but the bone. Every single long haired I've owned, and one short hair (but his tail was broken at one point). All had this same bend/kink in the bone.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I had one Short Hair with a kinked tail tip. It is the same kink you are describing. Only obvious to touch and only the final bone of the tail.

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
My Persian has no kink or bend, neither does the Maine Coon, the Birman does not either and these all have long or medium hair. The alley cat does not either . If you have an Asian bob-tailed cat it probably has a kinked or curled-up tail inside the skin which is inherited. Ask @Norachan, she is an expert on those as she lives in Japan and has numerous bob-tailed cats. She told me once that they really have regular tails but that a congenital crippling of the tail makes it curled up and thus appears like a bob-tail unlike a bobcat which just has a super-short tail or a Manx which also has a short or no tail but also can have a regular-sized tail. I think since you got your cats from shelters etc they most likely have an injured tail which was never noticed and thus healed crooked.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had one Short Hair with a kinked tail tip. It is the same kink you are describing. Only obvious to touch and only the final bone of the tail.
Exactly what I'm talking about. You wouldn't know it was there if you didn't feel it.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So it's not just long/med hair. But what causes it, I wonder. I'm not convinced that every one of these kitties has broken their tail. I do realize that they don't always know what their tail is doing, but this seems like a lot. I have had only 4 long hair so far and every one of those had this. I lost count on the short haired, but none of them did. Except my son's Mau, who did break the end of his tail.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
And the thot plickens. Some do, some don't...We expect in the Oriental colorpoints, but this is pretty wide-spread.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kinked tails can be genetic or an accident. I don't believe they are linked to color. I have only had one kitten with a tail kink and it happened after he was born. The very tip of his tail looked like the letter L. He was about a week old when it happened. Made me heart sick, not only because it must have hurt, but he was my pick of the litter. He went to a great pet home close by and is dearly loved.