The "What's on your mind?" Thread -2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
I have helped with the side dishes at family dinners, but I have never managed a major dinner on my own. Earlier this week my husband gave me his wish list for Thanksgiving dinner. Turkey, ham, green beans, succotash, mashed potatoes and gravy, crescent rolls and a chocolate pie for dessert. I counted the number of people in the house, a whopping three, and said, "Are you crazy?!? What are we going to do with all that food???" Sigh.

The kid had to work today until 3pm, and the husband has to be at work at 4:30am tomorrow, so I planned dinner at 4pm. In addition to his list I added Martinelli's and stuffing. I got a different stuffing brand than usual, didn't read the back carefully. I hate cranberry gel but Target didn't have the cranberries in sauce, so oh well. There's plenty of food. I also picked up two Fancy Feast turkey cans so the boys could also have a Thanksgiving dinner.

Things are going along stunningly smoothly. Even though I have a tiny galley kitchen I managed to figure out where to put everything. Of course a couple of things usually on the counters went on the floor, especially the Sodastream and the empty but not quite empty spare tank. Yeah, I know CO2 is not flammable, but I don't want the tanks bursting from the heat expansion of gas.

Thinking I was actually going to have everything done right at 4pm, I looked at the stuffing bag. Um, celery? I was supposed to get celery??? So I texted my daughter to bring home celery, and while she was at it she could get the cranberries as well. So first thing to go wrong. Then I got to a point where I needed to have the potatoes boiling, the succotash and green beans heating, and when the kid gets home I'll have the stuffing started. The potatoes were already going, so I turned on burner #2 and got the green beans going. Then I tried to turn on burner #3. Nothing. Turn it off and back on. Still nothing. Sonofa---. Well, I can wait a bit on the stuffing. So burner #4, which has the same feed as burner #3. Nothing. Second thing to go wrong.

So I submitted a maintenance request and went back into the kitchen to try and figure out how to cook three pots with two burners. I kept trying the burners and finally got #3 going. Yay! The potatoes were done so I turned burner #1 off and dumped them into the colander. Turned burner #1 back on and nothing. Auggghhhh!!! I guess there has to be a heat sensor, as it's an electric/gas hybrid.

Since I had taken the meat out and put the rolls in when I dumped the potatoes I finished the rolls and then just waited for the oven to cool down a bit before trying the burners. They work! Then the husband and kid came in, I quickly chopped the celery and in the end everything but the stuffing was done minutes after 4pm and the stuffing was done before 4:15pm. I looked around my tiny kitchen and everything looked good. Everything looked amazingly good. There wasn't a dirty dish or spill anywhere. Not even the lids to the pots holding the veggies and stuffing. Whenever my daughter cooks it always looks like a bomb hit my kitchen and I'm always getting on her case about cleaning up the blip blip kitchen. And she's always saying it's because she was cooking. So I called her in and told her to look around and pointed out I just cooked a major dinner and asked her if she saw a mess. She looked and looked and finally pointed to a whole tomato I had put in front of the microwave and pointed to it and said "This is messy." Really? I told her that if I could keep a kitchen clean while cooking, she can manage it too.

I refused to cut the turkey and ham, and both were the two kvetching. And apparently my knives are dull, so there was more kvetching. And the use of many knives to try and get a clean cut. Third thing wrong. And while they were kvetching I realized something very odd. The tiny galley style kitchen traps in a lot of heat when I use the oven, especially an oven running for 2 hours with two burners going. And I was in that kitchen most of those two hours and I'm wearing a jacket and I'm feeling fine. My internal temperature gauge is definitely on the fritz.

We're eating in front of the TV with the Forged in Fire marathon going, so we were in the kitchen filling our plates and I realized I had forgotten to chill the Martinelli's. It's sitting on top of the fridge, in that hot little kitchen. Ugh. So fourth thing going wrong. I put it in the freezer and the kid's freaking out about how that's such a bad idea. I'm not leaving it in there all night kiddo. While we were eating I went in there once to shake it a bit. Not as bad as it sounds, I shook it the same way you shake a Sodastream bottle to mix the syrup into the carbonated water. Then when I finished with my plate I shook it again, opened it and it was perfectly chilled.

So my very first holiday dinner ever. 15 minutes late, uncooperative burners, forgotten celery, dull knives and warm Martinelli's. I don't think I did that bad.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There's leftovers and there's "we cannot possibly eat all this food before it goes bad" leftovers. I'm worried we're at that point.
That's where the freezer comes in handy.

I've been reading my email, and my sister-in-law has sent me some very interesting links:
And I followed a link from the first one of those to get this story about helping damaged hearts: Soft Robots Can Keep a Pig's Heart Pumping—And Humans Are Next

I'm probably off for the rest of the day. I hope everyone (in the U.S.) has had a blessed Thanksgiving day.

Margret

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In that case it wasn't your ancestors who sold Manhattan Island. As for what they were thinking, I believe that they didn't realize they were "selling" anything, merely giving the Europeans the right to camp there for a while. Culture shock, and the culture with the most sophisticated weapons wins the argument. It's one of the least attractive qualities of human nature.
It was a joke. But even my son's Ojibwe friends think the same thing.

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There's leftovers and there's "we cannot possibly eat all this food before it goes bad" leftovers. I'm worried we're at that point.
Yes, that's what a freezer is for! Or you can just send them to me! Haha
I have a pie in the freezer. I prefer to make my own apple pies - I use a recipe for a sour cream apple pie from my grandma - but the thought of peeling and cutting all the apples kind of exhausted me. So, I bought a pie and I'm gonna poke it in the oven. John's aunt said not to bring anything. I can eat a pie all by myself and I'm ready to get started on it!

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And that's another rant topic for me. All these people who claim it's a nonsense disorder that is used only for impatient teachers and pharmaceutical companies - please explain to me why my father was diagnosed with ADHD in 1962.
I'm a firm believer in ADHD. My nephew had it really bad when he was a kid. He is now a drill sergeant in the Army so he seems to have grown out of it.

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My friend's son is a major ADHD case. He's so difficult to deal with. He may also have ODD but that hasn't been definitively diagnosed yet because of his age. I babysat a lot for her one summer and I'd read somewhere that caffeine can actually help ADHD kids to calm down a bit. So, with her permission, I bought one of those cold coffee drinks and tried it. It worked like a charm. He really settled down and played more like a normal kid instead of being so wild and destructive.
He's on medication now and goes to therapy and it's helping, but he still has outbursts. Early last summer, she went to a place to vacuum out her car. He decided to throw rocks at the highway and ended up cracking someone's windshield. Kirby was bullied into paying for a replacement out of pocket - $400. I feel like insurance would have covered it. I understand that her son broke it, but isn't that what insurance is for? She ended up getting really behind bills and had trouble buying food for a while. We all tried to help her, but none of us had much extra money ourselves and things were really difficult for her. She's a single mom and barely makes ends meet as it is. He had no remorse. He didn't care that it was wrong or that he could have hurt someone. That's one of the incidents that has caused the ODD diagnosis to be considered.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How do I freeze ham without drying it out?
  1. Go to the grocery store and buy everything in bold face.
  2. I don't know that this applies to ham specifically, but I think it should work for all meats. Get some freezer wrap (paper on the outside, plastic on the inside, comes in rolls like waxed paper or plastic wrap) at your grocery store.
  3. Wrap the meat tightly, making sure the plastic side is next to the meat and the paper side is on the outside. Overlap the ends and put a couple of folds in (like a flat felled seam in sewing) so that you're absolutely certain no air can get in.
  4. If necessary, make two or three packages of ham rather than one, if, for instance, it's a shape that can't be wrapped tightly enough.
  5. Tape everything down securely with freezer tape, which should be next to the freezer wrap at your grocery store. I think it looks like masking tape, but it's specifically designed to work properly at freezing temperatures.
  6. Use a marker pen to write the contents of the package and the date on the outside. If possible, include quantity (by weight), and state whether there's a bone included.
If you have extra, freezer wrap is also useful for sewing patterns that you want to save. You can draw or write on the paper side, and the plastic makes it difficult to tear. If necessary, tape two sheets together to get a wide enough sheet, but you can use everyday tape for this since you don't store your sewing patterns in the freezer. Of course, pattern fabric is better, but it's also more expensive.

Margret

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.