The "What's on your mind?" Thread -2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
Sadly, no. Not if it's like my washer. If I want to lift the lid I have to press the button and sometimes it will drain before it unlocks the door :/. If I guess the right time during the soak cycle I can catch it with water, but normally no. These washers that think they're smarter than us are annoying. I think there will be a backlash and people will start demanding the old dumb washers.

I don't know how one could go about dyeing clothes in a new washer. I'd probably do the soaking in a bucket and then dump the whole thing in the washer to drain and finish up.
I would contact the dye manufacturer. I'm sure they can offer suggestions that will help.

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, work was bad last night. Just ranting--ignore if you wish. First of all, I came in to find puddles (not wet spots, not spills, but puddles) of water all over the floor. Then there was the mud. I don't know how many of you are familiar with the deep south, but we don't have black, easy-to-clean mud. No--we have red clay mud that stains everything. (Good thing the floors are red. And the mop head is, now.) Worse is that someone (again) decided that the counter in front of the fountain machines is the same as the drain, so there was a wet sticky mess there. Also--the coffee pots. Ah, the coffee pots. How the flying frak do you get sticky blue fingerprints all over six coffee pots? Has anyone seen the movie Star Trek Into Darkness? I felt like Scotty when he says, "I was gone for one bloody day!" :sigh: Well, I kept mopping up the water (damp floors okay--puddles bad, especially with tile since it gets slippery.) I was keeping up with the water pretty well too (had to dump the mop bucket four frakking times) and was still (relatively) keeping up with my normal shift duties--until about three thirty in the morning when suddenly, for no discernable reason, there was a sudden influx of water from under the fountain machine cabinets. Lasted three minutes and almost flooded the frakking store. And AM was not happy to see the floor--the repair guy came out yesterday afternoon (really, about five thirty in the evening) to fix a small, easily contained leak that we were having. (According to the coworker I relieved last night, the water started appearing about an hour and a half after the repair guy left.) She's contacting the market manager to find out if it's possible to get a new maintenance company--because this is ridiculous.

Rant over. Time for a joke. What do you call a pile of kittens?

A meowtain! :spew:

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
Last night I was watching a documentary and a reality TV star was on it as an expert. I didn't think much of it at the time, but now...that really does sound crazy.

It was a documentary on rogue waves, and one of the captains in The Deadliest Catch was brought in to talk about his experience with rogue waves.

arouetta

Top Cat
Purraise
Hah, well, I guess I'd want to hear from someone who lives on a small boat most of the year if I were researching rogue waves, but presenting him as an expert seems like a stretch.
Expert is my own word, I figure a documentary is only going to interview people who know their stuff.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My favorite is a Ufologist. I want to know how they got their degree and what courses in college they took to get that degree. Cracks me up.
Or, experts in Cryptozoology. That one is great also.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My favorite is a Ufologist. I want to know how they got their degree and what courses in college they took to get that degree. Cracks me up.
Or, experts in Cryptozoology. That one is great also.
Believe it or not, there actually are colleges that offer this kind of degree. Are they accredited? Well, that's another question....

In 1998, when my dad was dying, he moved back to Colorado to be near me and his siblings. I'd go over to his house almost every day, and stay late, so I was driving home late at night, and I got thoroughly addicted to a late night radio talk show named "Coast to Coast A.M., With Art Bell." It was a very strange show. Most of the guests were harmless nut jobs, there was one whom I automatically turned off because he just made me too angry to sleep when I got home, and every once in a while there would be a guest who was totally sane and I'd go "Where the heck did he come from?!"

Mostly they talked about UFOs, Chupacabras, bigfoot, mystical theories about the pyramids, remote viewing, Roswell, the face on Mars, etc.. Occasionally (just before the Super Bowl) they'd veer off onto American football, briefly, before getting back to the main topic. Every once in a while Art would open up a special line for time travelers to call in on, and he very specifically did not mean people who travel forward in time at the rate of one minute every sixty seconds. When someone called that line Art had a standard question that he'd ask: When the full records of the Warren Commission are released in 2039, what will they show? My favorite answer to that question was the guy who said that the Warren Commission found that Marilyn Monroe faked her suicide, primarily to get away from the Kennedy brothers, then went to a secret school run by the Mafia to train hit men. When she found out that the Mafia was planning a hit on JFK she let it be known that anyone else who applied for the job would be killed; this one was hers. So Marilyn Monroe was the gun"man" on the grassy knoll. (The majority of the Warren Commission's records were actually released by 1992, because of changes in the law, and the remainder are scheduled to be made public on October 26 of this year. They found that Lee Harvey Oswald was the only shooter. Warren Commission - Wikipedia)

However, several of Art's guests were, indeed, people who had acquired degrees in things like cryptozoology, ufology, and such.

Coast to Coast A.M. is still on the air, though Art Bell is no longer the host; he's retired and moved to the Philippines, and the show has suffered from his loss.

Margret

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
OOOOOOH! GOODIE GOODIE! My new desk just came in! I'll get it put together this coming Sunday (no-computer Sundays are GREAT for stuff like this!). I really did need it. Well, what I really needed was a second desk, one for a desk-desk, and one for my library staging area. The old one will be pressed into library duty, and the new one will be my primary. They no longer carry the one that matches my bookcases, so I ordered one that is complimentary to them. Oh, well...they DO have the matching one, but it's gone up $40 bucks in price, and I can't afford that. This is it:

It is darker than the bookcases, but has that same rustic finish to it. They will blend well together. SIGH...I hate that they no longer carried it in the rodeo oak. Maybe one day they will, I'll get another and use the one I just got as my library staging desk.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Believe it or not, there actually are colleges that offer this kind of degree. Are they accredited? Well, that's another question....

In 1998, when my dad was dying, he moved back to Colorado to be near me and his siblings. I'd go over to his house almost every day, and stay late, so I was driving home late at night, and I got thoroughly addicted to a late night radio talk show named "Coast to Coast A.M., With Art Bell." It was a very strange show. Most of the guests were harmless nut jobs, there was one whom I automatically turned off because he just made me too angry to sleep when I got home, and every once in a while there would be a guest who was totally sane and I'd go "Where the heck did he come from?!"

Mostly they talked about UFOs, Chupacabras, bigfoot, mystical theories about the pyramids, remote viewing, Roswell, the face on Mars, etc.. Occasionally (just before the Super Bowl) they'd veer off onto American football, briefly, before getting back to the main topic. Every once in a while Art would open up a special line for time travelers to call in on, and he very specifically did not mean people who travel forward in time at the rate of one minute every sixty seconds. When someone called that line Art had a standard question that he'd ask: When the full records of the Warren Commission are released in 2039, what will they show? My favorite answer to that question was the guy who said that the Warren Commission found that Marilyn Monroe faked her suicide, primarily to get away from the Kennedy brothers, then went to a secret school run by the Mafia to train hit men. When she found out that the Mafia was planning a hit on JFK she let it be known that anyone else who applied for the job would be killed; this one was hers. So Marilyn Monroe was the gun"man" on the grassy knoll. (The majority of the Warren Commission's records were actually released by 1992, because of changes in the law, and the remainder are scheduled to be made public on October 26 of this year. They found that Lee Harvey Oswald was the only shooter. Warren Commission - Wikipedia)

However, several of Art's guests were, indeed, people who had acquired degrees in things like cryptozoology, ufology, and such.

Coast to Coast A.M. is still on the air, though Art Bell is no longer the host; he's retired and moved to the Philippines, and the show has suffered from his loss.

Margret
I've listened to Coast to Coast since it was called Dreamland in the '80's. George Norry is not a bad host, but Art Bell was better. The only channel I can get it on up here is 850 KOA from Denver though, and it cuts out some.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've listened to Coast to Coast since it was called Dreamland in the '80's. George Norry is not a bad host, but Art Bell was better. The only channel I can get it on up here is 850 KOA from Denver though, and it cuts out some.
For a while KOA was rerunning some of the classic episodes with Art Bell; you may be able to find them. I don't remember when, though.

When we lived in Bend, Oregon for a year we could frequently get KOA. It's very powerful.

raina21 raina21 , adorable is right! More pictures please!

Margret

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm currently watching Nature on PBS; it's the season premier, "Naledi: One Little Elephant," and it's extremely good. If you have a chance to see it I recommend it highly. I know that everyone here would enjoy it.

Margret

arouetta

Top Cat
Purraise
When we lived in Bend, Oregon for a year we could frequently get KOA. It's very powerful.
Hey! My grandparents lived in Bend, and I lived just a little south of it. We're neighbors!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm cross-eyed today. Got up at 8 am for the inspectors to check my dryer vent and the installation on the back door. Now, I go to bed between 3-4 am, so this is like scheduling maintenance and inspections at 2 am for most of the world. I can't think. I may nap, once I'm done here.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey! My grandparents lived in Bend, and I lived just a little south of it. We're neighbors!
Or we were. I was just there for a year while I worked at Micro Cornucopia magazine. But we bought our first house there.

I saw an episode of "Criminal Minds" a while back that was set and filmed in Bend, and it's become unrecognizable. So much bigger. When I was there they had all of one book store. I'd walk in and say "What's new that I'll like?" and the young woman behind the counter would walk over to the mystery and science fiction sections and say, "This one, and this one, and this one..." and she was always right. There was a series that she and I had both gotten involved with (thinking it was a trilogy and all three books were out), and when the final volume finally came out in hardback she went to the library and checked it out, and as soon as she finished it she brought it to my house so I could read it before she returned it to the library. Only in a small town.

I love the statue across from Drake Park, don't you? (Visiting with "Art")

Margret

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
I remember Coast to Coast. I listen to AM 680 when I don't want music-that show is weird-yes it's yahoos calling about UFOs and that area in the west that is off limits to civilians...that show cracked me up. I don't remember who the host was. I found it interesting but strange depending on who called in.

Status
Not open for further replies.