The "What's on your mind?" Thread -2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I finally decided to watch The Original Series of Star Trek. I've been avoiding it because I'm not really a Shatner fan. But it's not too bad. Their treatment of gender relations/sexism is hilariously inconsistent though. Apparently they could imagine a future in which women were given equal rank, but they couldn't imagine that any men could be capable of not being horndogs, lol. A woman is a Captain. .. but all the men drool over her and constantly harrass her. Kirk's lack of self-control is treated with mild disapproval (Bones: "not again, Jim!") but also as inevitable. And also the foregone conclusion that a woman officer will someday get married and leave her Starfleet post. Ah, the '60s. No wonder my grandma says it was a terrible time.

Last edited:

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I finally decided to watch The Original Series of Star Trek. I've been avoiding it because I'm not really a Shatner fan. But it's not too bad. Their treatment of gender relations/sexism is hilariously inconsistent though. Apparently they could imagine a future in which women were given equal rank, but they couldn't imagine that any men could be capable of not being horndogs, lol. A woman is a Captain. .. but all the men drool over her and constantly harrass her. Kirk's lack of self-control is treated with mild disapproval (Bones: "not again, Jim!") but also as inevitable. And also the foregone conclusion that a woman officer will someday get married and leave her Starfleet post. Ah, the '60s. No wonder my grandma says it was a terrible time.
We used to say that Kirk must be horny again; it's been all of five minutes since he last inserted Tab A into Slot Zlarb.  Also, there was a filk song about Kirk making the rounds of all the off-duty females on board, while McCoy and Spock timed him.  When they judged that he'd had enough "exercise" they would find a reason to ask him to report to the bridge.  (It was a parody of "Froggy Went a'Courting.")

The original series had a few very strange things about it.  All of these female officers were wearing miniskirts, the computers used gigantic reel-to-reel tape decks that were already outdated on earth even at the time they were shooting, women were required to wear uniform skirts that barely covered their crotches but heaven forbid they ever show their belly buttons, and the occasional scientific errors were hilarious (like the time Spock increased the audio by "a factor of ten to the zero" (ten to the zero, like any number raised to the power of zero, equals one).

And yet, Whoopi Goldberg saw Nichelle Nichols on Star Trek, and decided that if Nichelle could be a successful black actress, so could Whoopi.  That's why Whoopi requested a regular guest role on Next Gen.

Yes, in many ways the 60s were a terrible time.  But they were also one step towards full gender equality.  Which we still don't have, but we're a bit closer and all of the incarnations of Star Trek are part of the reason.

Margret

Last edited:

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ugh, I've been working for 6 hours tonight and I've just started yawning.  I'm afraid to drink anything caffeinated at this time of night.  I need to sleep tonight or I'll be even worse tomorrow.  I don't know what to do.  Maybe just let the yawns happen and let the pieces fall where they will.  Maybe they'll go ahead and fire me.  Or they'll just call me off every day so I'm technically employed but not working so they don't have to pay me but I still can't collect unemployment.  I wouldn't put it past them.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The original series had a few very strange things about it.  All of these female officers were wearing miniskirts, the computers used gigantic reel-to-reel tape decks that were already outdated on earth even at the time they were shooting, women were required to wear uniform skirts that barely covered their crotches but heaven forbid they ever show their belly buttons, and the occasional scientific errors were hilarious (like the time Spock increased the audio by "a factor of ten to the zero" (ten to the zero, like any number raised to the power of zero, equals one).
Haha, yeah, and one episode where Spock was blinded by a "million candlepower" light. So I looked it up, and anyone can buy a million candlepower spotlight from Walmart for $20, and I'm pretty sure most of us aren't blind yet :D. But at least we will be safe from Denevan parasites, lol.

The women are wearing little matching shorts under their miniskirts (I made it a point to look) but they still seem wildly impractical for Space Navy-ing. And why long sleeves but no pants? Aren't their legs cold? Oh, the questions ;).

I didn't watch the video (limited data) but I'm struck by how well Zachary Quintos channels Leonard Nimoy in the newer movies. He stands the same way, has the same mannerisms, etc. I wonder if he studied Spock for a while and did it on purpose or if they got lucky in finding someone who is so naturally Spock-ish.

Last edited:

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Haha, yeah, and one episode where Spock was blinded by a "million candlepower" light. So I looked it up, and anyone can buy a million candlepower spotlight from Walmart for $20, and I'm pretty sure most of us aren't blind yet
. But at least we will be safe from Denevan parasites, lol.

The women are wearing little matching shorts under their miniskirts (I made it a point to look) but they still seem wildly impractical for Space Navy-ing. And why long sleeves but no pants? Aren't their legs cold? Oh, the questions

I didn't watch the video (limited data) but I'm struck by how well Zachary Quintos channels Leonard Nimoy in the newer movies. He stands the same way, has the same mannerisms, etc. I wonder if he studied Spock for a while and did it on purpose or if they got lucky in finding someone who is so naturally Spock-ish.
Well, of course they had matching panties!  And pantyhose.  Comfort and practicality have never been important to the men who design women's clothing.  Even fairly enlightened men.  Were you a Quantum Leap fan?  There was one episode where Sam leaped into a pregnant woman.  Excuse me, a very pregnant woman.  So here is Sam, with his big, pregnant belly, uncomfortable women's shoes, walking down the road with his back obviously aching, complaining that "Whoever wrote 'I Enjoy Being a Girl' was obviously a man!".  Extremely enlightened series.

There used to be a singing group named "The L. A. Filkharmonics" (filk being the kind of rather strange singing -- frequently though not always parodies -- that S.F. and Fantasy fans do at conventions late at night).  Many of their best songs were written by the late Meg Garrett.  And, yes, it is okay for me to share this; it's part of the folk/filk tradition.  It dates from just after Star Trek III: The Search for Spock.

Born Again Vulcan
by Meg Garrett (to "Amazing Grace")

Amazing Spock, we felt his lack
(Though he saved Enterprise)
He once was gone, but now he's back
(But not to our surprise!)

We knew, you see, he could not die.
The fans would not agree.
Uniforms may change, the ship may fry,
But Kick without Spock cannot be.

Science is warped and David is lost
To restore our brave Vulcan.
Don't fret, James Kirk, or count the cost,
Spock's worth a thousand sons.

Spock's been thru much, he once went blind,
One time they took his brain.
He gave his life, Bones got his mind,
But now Spock's born again! (Hallelujah!)
Do you remember an episode where Spock explains to a woman that, yes, he does have a first name, but she wouldn't be able to pronounce it?  Well, I figured out a long time ago that, from the way his character was used on the series, his full name must be Deus X. Spock (see https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/deus ex machina if you don't automatically get the joke).

The video is an absolutely hilarious car commercial, and is, I think, the last job that Nimoy took before his tragic death.

By the way, remember the Bajoran symbionts from Next Gen and DS9?  According to the novels, the Denevan parasites are a branch from the same family tree as the symbionts, just as the Romulans and Vulcans are from the same family, just having taken different directions.

Margret

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't gotten into the extended universe yet. And while I've been watching the other series for years, this is the first time I've watched TOS, except for catching the odd episode on late-night cable now and then.

Yep, I loved Quantum Leap when it was on! I need to get the box set and watch it now, see how it's held up compared to my memories.

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Star Trek isn't something I've gotten into, but I have a feeling I will if John has his way.  Right now we're still making our way through Supernatural - which I would have been watching since the beginning if I'd had cable or satellite or anything.  Thank God for Netflix.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
@Alicia88, what do you think of Supernatural? I have been a huge, huge fan since about midway through the very first season many, many moons ago. I've been watching throughout the good seasons and the bad (and believe me, when SN is bad, it's really bad. But I keep going). 

It's the only show that I bought every season. For years, every fall, on Banshee's birthday (Sept 20) I would stay home from work and spend the day with her. I spent the day on the couch with Banshee snoring away on my belly and I'd binge-watch the entire prior season of Supernatural. We did that every year until she died.....I haven't done it since.

But Supernatural remains my top favorite tv show.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise

We used to say that Kirk must be horny again; it's been all of five minutes since he last inserted Tab A into Slot Zlarb.  Also, there was a filk song about Kirk making the rounds of all the off-duty females on board, while McCoy and Spock timed him.  When they judged that he'd had enough "exercise" they would find a reason to ask him to report to the bridge.  (It was a parody of "Froggy Went a'Courting.")

And yet, Whoopi Goldberg saw Nichelle Nichols on Star Trek, and decided that if Nichelle could be a successful black actress, so could Whoopi.  That's why Whoopi requested a regular guest role on Next Gen.

Yes, in many ways the 60s were a terrible time.  But they were also one step towards full gender equality.  Which we still don't have, but we're a bit closer and all of the incarnations of Star Trek are part of the reason.

Margret
That is an awesome video... loved it...I do not know why I have never seen it before now. I am a huge Star Trek Fan...

and I just loved Quantum Leap,,, the original and now the re-runs.. Sam was so good... it was a really good show...

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Really annoyed with a FreeCycle person who wanted a bunch of old magazines I posted
I clearly noted in my post weekend pick up only at one location. The person wanted to pick them up on a weekday. I told the person no. So the person said they would come by that weekend but didn't specificy which day or a time. I asked for confirmation and there was no response. Yesterday the person said he / she was sick and couldn't come to pick them up but wanted to know if the magazines were available to pick up in the afternoon. I said to pick up after 3pm. Person was a no show. I got an email today from the person saying he /s he forgot or something and didn't want the magazines anyways. Really?? If you're not seriously interested in the offer, don't bother replying and wasting my time
Now I have to lug the magazines back from my parents' house back to my place. The magazines are from last year so they're good for waiting rooms and the like or just looking through for ideas and recipes and stuff. I'll repost them on FreeCycle at a later time and this time I'll be sure to clearly note "serious inquiries only" as well.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
I drop my magazines off at the gym. I cut off my address and they love them. I bring in all kinds of stuff..they seem to get well loved so I just bring them there. the library in my town takes magazines and they go in the free pile. The other town library next town over has a big bin you can just drop them into the bin. Kids use those for making their projects with cutting out pictures...maybe you have a gym or other type of business nearby you can donate them to? The political ones I have I bring to work=the guys like to read them on break time..not sure how many people you have at work..just some ideas.

This morning I woke up tired and had a warm fuzzy snoring bundle on my chest..my arm was wrapped around her...nice way to wake up! it was cold! I turned the heat down to 60. wish I didn't have to get up..I would have stayed there for awhile.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

That is an awesome video... loved it...I do not know why I have never seen it before now. I am a huge Star Trek Fan...

and I just loved Quantum Leap,,, the original and now the re-runs.. Sam was so good... it was a really good show...
There's supposed to be a Quantum Leap movie out sometime this year, though I haven't heard anything more about it for several months.  The last I heard, both Scott Bakula and Dean Stockwell had confirmed that they would be appearing in the movie, but not as Sam and Al.  
  I don't know how that will work out.  Also, a year or so ago I saw a video with an alternate ending for the series, one that they filmed but decided against running.  IMO, it was a major improvement.  In it, Sam decided to make one last leap before the leap home.  He leaps back into the episode where he met Al's first wife, and tells her that Al is still alive and will come home, that she should wait for him.  Then he leaps home, to a world where Al is still married and would never think of cheating on his wife, and she and their teenage children all live at the project.  I'll have to see whether I can still find that video online and post a link to it.  Tomorrow, maybe.  I'm being run ragged today.

Margret

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmph, they should keep Sam and Al the same actors, because wouldn't they have aged too? Make it so it took them this long to figure out how to get Sam home? (Although the "Sam never returned home" part would have to be explained). Anyway, if they do it well it should be a fun movie.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think Ms. Hekitty has a bit of a crush.  Whenever Little Bit comes around, she sits at the back door and chirps.  If any OTHER cat dares come near HER door, she blows up, does dragoncat, and actually slams  herself into the door hard enough to scare the other cat off.  This being the case, I will now be referring to Little Bit as a male, barring any startling revelations from Hekitty.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background

I think Ms. Hekitty has a bit of a crush.  Whenever Little Bit comes around, she sits at the back door and chirps.  If any OTHER cat dares come near HER door, she blows up, does dragoncat, and actually slams  herself into the door hard enough to scare the other cat off.  This being the case, I will now be referring to Little Bit as a male, barring any startling revelations from Hekitty.
Maybe Hekitty wants a friend!!

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

@Alicia88, what do you think of Supernatural? I have been a huge, huge fan since about midway through the very first season many, many moons ago. I've been watching throughout the good seasons and the bad (and believe me, when SN is bad, it's really bad. But I keep going). 

It's the only show that I bought every season. For years, every fall, on Banshee's birthday (Sept 20) I would stay home from work and spend the day with her. I spent the day on the couch with Banshee snoring away on my belly and I'd binge-watch the entire prior season of Supernatural. We did that every year until she died.....I haven't done it since.

But Supernatural remains my top favorite tv show.
I love it.  I'm beyond addicted.  We're halfway through Season 7 now.  We take a break from binge watching when we have Aislyn.  I think she's a bit too young for all of that.  LOL

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I've been searching for that alternate ending Quantum Leap video, but apparently it's been removed from YouTube, and the user who posted it is no longer there, either.  However, I did find this: http://www.quantumleap-alsplace.com/scripts/script_mirrorimage.htm   It goes through the entire script and ends with speculation that this was intended to be a cliffhanger for season 6 and was changed at the last minute because the show was cancelled.  Then it presents a final speculative scene that shows how the season 6 link could have worked.

As for the movie that was supposed to come out this year, it appears that this will not happen.  I hope that this is wrong, but don't hold your breath waiting for it.  The apparent reason Stockwell and Bakula were unwilling to play Al and Sam, back when the movie was still a possibility, is probably because of their ages.  This series was especially hard on Bakula, since he appeared in almost every scene.

Later, all.  I'm probably off-line until tomorrow.

Margret

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, Scott Bakula already has NCIS: New Orleans going on, it would probably be tough to film a weekly series and a movie at the same time :/. Oh well, maybe someday.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise

There's supposed to be a Quantum Leap movie out sometime this year, though I haven't heard anything more about it for several months.  The last I heard, both Scott Bakula and Dean Stockwell had confirmed that they would be appearing in the movie, but not as Sam and Al.  
  I don't know how that will work out.  Also, a year or so ago I saw a video with an alternate ending for the series, one that they filmed but decided against running.  IMO, it was a major improvement.  In it, Sam decided to make one last leap before the leap home.  He leaps back into the episode where he met Al's first wife, and tells her that Al is still alive and will come home, that she should wait for him.  Then he leaps home, to a world where Al is still married and would never think of cheating on his wife, and she and their teenage children all live at the project.  I'll have to see whether I can still find that video online and post a link to it.  Tomorrow, maybe.  I'm being run ragged today.

Margret
Would love to see that ending.....and perhaps a remake.. but the leads would have to be really cast correctly...and the storyline would have to be excellent...otherwise, it would be 'just a remake'....

Well, I've been searching for that alternate ending Quantum Leap video, but apparently it's been removed from YouTube, and the user who posted it is no longer there, either.  However, I did find this: http://www.quantumleap-alsplace.com/scripts/script_mirrorimage.htm   It goes through the entire script and ends with speculation that this was intended to be a cliffhanger for season 6 and was changed at the last minute because the show was cancelled.  Then it presents a final speculative scene that shows how the season 6 link could have worked.

As for the movie that was supposed to come out this year, it appears that this will not happen.  I hope that this is wrong, but don't hold your breath waiting for it.  The apparent reason Stockwell and Bakula were unwilling to play Al and Sam, back when the movie was still a possibility, is probably because of their ages.  This series was especially hard on Bakula, since he appeared in almost every scene.

Later, all.  I'm probably off-line until tomorrow.

Margret
oh... too bad... sounds as if this would be better than the ending they had... I was sorry the series was not renewed.. but the last couple episodes were a bit much.. sad.. all the good series end too soon...

I will have to check out that link.. thanks for trying to find it...
Well, Scott Bakula already has NCIS: New Orleans going on, it would probably be tough to film a weekly series and a movie at the same time :/. Oh well, maybe someday.
They could always film the movie while the series was on hiatus..... sigh

@Margret    I just read that link.... all I can say is AWESOME!!!!!  They should shoot that as a movie....wow...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.