The "What's on your mind?" Thread -2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

mokapi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My extended family members fought over my Nana's possessions before and after she had passed. I have to wonder if people need something tangible to focus on while grieving. Doesn't make it any better or any more right...and another added stress that nobody really needs.

So sorry for your loss.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Death brings out the worse in people. When my gramps passed away-his daughter-my aunt-already stole all the silver and antiques he had in the house. My dad was beyond P off. On top of my gramps suicide because she was a meddling B. He took things into his own hands and ended his life. Bad enough but hey what can I say? He wasn't going into a nursing home. And decided it was time...wish he picked another less messy way to do it-my mom n I understood.

As I get older and hear Jon talk about his future-he too says the same. He says no way will he go into a nursing home. At least his Daughter is a registered nurse so we would figure something out when the time comes=/.

Let's hope its another 10 years away=hard to believe he just turned 69. Oh still fighting to get him into the doctors for his full body aches and arthritis. He's living on advil and glucosomine right now-and I nag him daily. Doesn't seem to matter. I think he's having circulation issues but his blood pressure is right where it needs to be-his feet get cold and wears slippers..I busted out the heating pad and he said no. STUBBORN MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, a guy in my computer club just came home from California where he happened to score a whole bunch of eclipse glasses, but I didn't know whether he had enough for everyone so yesterday I went searching. I had heard that eclipse glasses were being handed out for free several places, so I decided to check them out.
  • Library: Closed for renovation. (Obviously I haven't been visiting often enough or I would have known that.)
  • Ace Hardware: "Sorry. We ran out earlier today."
  • Grease Monkey: Sign on the door: "Sorry. Out of eclipse glasses."
Then I went to my computer club and it turned out that my friend had not only brought enough for everyone, he'd brought enough for family members as well! He had a bunch of leftovers, in fact. :doh: When I got home I found an old eyeglasses case that's shaped like a box and snaps shut and folded the earpieces in and stashed them in the case, so they won't get scratched. They are now sitting in the car, ready for use.

Do be aware, everyone, that scratches damage the finish on these things, and render them useless.

If you still don't have eclipse glasses, you may want to try all of the places I mentioned above (except for my computer club, of course). And if that doesn't work, a local observatory, planetarium, news station, or astronomy club may be able to help you find some.

Margret

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh still fighting to get him into the doctors for his full body aches and arthritis. He's living on advil and glucosomine right now-and I nag him daily. Doesn't seem to matter. I think he's having circulation issues but his blood pressure is right where it needs to be-his feet get cold and wears slippers..I busted out the heating pad and he said no. STUBBORN MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Has Jon ever had his A1c levels checked? Undiagnosed diabetes could be causing problems with his feet. (Obviously I have personal reasons to be sensitive to this.) If he seems to pee a lot he definitely needs to have it checked.

Margret

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
Who is the executor? Is there a legal remedy, such as a cease and desist letter?

arouetta

Top Cat
Purraise
our chief stew- quit. I thought about running-but I don't know if I can do the job to be honest-a few guys told me to run. I have until 3pm to make a decision. I don't know if it would be a good move. I am afraid I would get in trouble with cursing because I don't play games. If you are a whatever-I will call you a whatever...lol.
I don't understand. What is chief stew? Is it a union official?

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have started feeding the cats some commercial raw food. Seems like Carrot has crystals in his urine and we want to get rid of as much of his kibble as possible. The move to partially raw food is going better than I had hoped. He eats it much more willingly than his wet food.
When my Sweet Thing had kidney disease we knew less about it than we do now, but one of the things I found out is that fish are one of the top sources of some of the minerals involved in those crystals.

Quantum Leap is ancient, I think I was still a minor child when it was being produced. Side note, did it have a Halloween episode involving a teenage Stephen King? Or was that another show?
Yes, it did, though we only found out who he was at the very end (standard for the show). And, as I recall, in that particular episode most of Al's appearances were actually the devil. Sam figured it out because he didn't use the standard special effects that Al's appearances came with.

wow got lots of reading to do-will catch up soon.

Glad to be HOME in my own COUCH. Good time away=more work bullcrap.

11 guys getting laid off Friday plus 15-20 guys getting shuffled onto 2nd shift- big mess.

our chief stew- quit. I thought about running-but I don't know if I can do the job to be honest-a few guys told me to run. I have until 3pm to make a decision. I don't know if it would be a good move. I am afraid I would get in trouble with cursing because I don't play games. If you are a whatever-I will call you a whatever...lol.
ok going to read...
:grouphug2: That's a tough one.

Sorry for not being in touch for a while. Grandma passed last night. The center was polite, caring, and understanding. The funeral company (when they finally arrived, although I understand taking a while when you get a call at four-thirty in the morning) was polite, caring, and understanding.

Pardon me while I rant. Grandma's husband and his daughter were not. After talking about mundane, practical matters they began planning to sell the heirloom furniture that, according to Grandma's will (and in the will is explicitly stated as) belonging to AWM. AWM said she didn't want to sell and, despite this, were talking about getting an appraiser to take a look at the furniture and get a price for sale. They didn't drop the subject until I said I was interested in the furniture. (Apparently while it's okay to screw over AWM, it's not okay to do so to me. Or, I didn't manage to keep my voice calm and they heard how close I was getting to homicidal rage. Hard to tell.)

So AWM and I have been informing family and friends about the passing this morning.
:alright: I'm so sorry to hear this.

If it's in the will they have no legal standing to sell the heirloom furniture. That's kind of the whole point of wills. You may want to see if you can find a Legal Aid attorney. And do whatever you can to get the will sent to probate as quickly as possible. Did your grandmother name an executor? I hope it's not her husband.

Margret

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Has Jon ever had his A1c levels checked? Undiagnosed diabetes could be causing problems with his feet. (Obviously I have personal reasons to be sensitive to this.) If he seems to pee a lot he definitely needs to have it checked.

Margret
No he doesn't have diabetes. He doesn't pee enough. He's like a camel. When we go out I have to find a place every hour or two=he goes all day. Same with food. The man is like a dessert cat. He is never thirsty nor hungry. me I pee and eat ALL THE TIME and no I don't have diabetes. Sugar is 89 everytime it gets checked. He definitely has inflammation going on. Just getting him to doctor is another issue. He has an appointment in October at a local family physician. And because of HIPPA they won't listen to my concerns. I only hope he lets me go with him so I can get them to check his heart and circulation.

my dads gf has issues with cardiac n circulation=she had pain in her legs-turned out it was cardiac related..she talked about it one night when we got together. it would make sense. His capillary refill time is 5 seconds on his feet. too slow. so he wears socks or wiggles feet or walks around=told him keep them moving...like I said stubborn old men really grate on my nerves. I think he's afraid it will cost $$. he has no issues dishing out money for food and fun--but nope he says all the time I am not handing over one dime to the health industry. Because he sees the waste...the waiting around and they don't even listen to you. they shove pills down our throats and don't care that each person has their own reactions.

Certain medications make him very ill. whenever he has surgery he is sick as a dog. I try to tell the doctor to don't use the meds in last operation because he was vomiting for hours. but they don't listen. I know in cats we have different ones=I would assume for people it's the same. I wish I could give him my cast iron stomach. Nothing makes me ill. I can go under and then wake up and eat a full meal and run around...nothing stops me.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I may be middle age and fat but my legs should be strong, so I tried going straight down on one knee, then sitting on my lower legs and then back up. With something to hold onto while getting up I don't tense my body as much, and tensing my arm can cause a few seconds of pain. But holding onto something feels like it's more of a security blanket and I'm not really putting weight on the support. But I can go all the way to the floor and stand back up while holding fallen items without difficulty, even without my security support.

(Note: If you aren't used to doing that, your thighs will hurt on Day #2. It's clearly good strengthening exercises.)
Unfortunately, sitting back on your lower legs that way is also a very good way to injure your knees if you do it for a long period of time. You should be okay doing it while your shoulder heals, but don't get in the habit.

My dad was a house builder, and he would regularly "hunker down" like that to talk with people on job sites. By the time he retired the arthritis in his knees was horrendous. He and my mom bought a 5th wheel and spent the early years of their retirement traveling around, and mostly they traveled to places with hot springs, to ease his arthritis.

Oh my, since I live by myself with no children or grandchildren up close and don't watch a lot of TV besides CNN and MSNBC I have no idea what most of you are talking about. I don't want to watch zombies, vampires or shows about people who have more money than god, sounds like Dynasty from way back and all the other shows that spawned. I watched Dr Who way back but got bored with that, same old same old. I've got cable and a lot of what I call "in between channels" like 2.2 or 4.3 etc (I think they are called HD channels) but none of the premium channels like HBO. I watch PBS sometimes and NatGeo, like to watch the Weather Channel's shows, I find the History Channel to be a lot of stupid crap and not History at all. I guess I like to be educated instead of being "entertained". I also binge on BBC America for the Star Trek shows but then get tired of that also, I see that they will show the original on Friday, that should be fun to see all the out-of-date gadgetry which is now real.
Is there anything that I should try out that is not TOO dumb but intelligent even if it is NOT educational?
"Treehouse Masters" on Animal Planet is rather fun. These guys travel around and make a lot of money building custom treehouses for people with enough property and trees to make it feasible. And then they make more money by filming it all and putting it on T.V.. :evilgrin:

Margret

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, a guy in my computer club just came home from California where he happened to score a whole bunch of eclipse glasses, but I didn't know whether he had enough for everyone so yesterday I went searching. I had heard that eclipse glasses were being handed out for free several places, so I decided to check them out.
  • Library: Closed for renovation. (Obviously I haven't been visiting often enough or I would have known that.)
  • Ace Hardware: "Sorry. We ran out earlier today."
  • Grease Monkey: Sign on the door: "Sorry. Out of eclipse glasses."
Then I went to my computer club and it turned out that my friend had not only brought enough for everyone, he'd brought enough for family members as well! He had a bunch of leftovers, in fact. :doh: When I got home I found an old eyeglasses case that's shaped like a box and snaps shut and folded the earpieces in and stashed them in the case, so they won't get scratched. They are now sitting in the car, ready for use.

Do be aware, everyone, that scratches damage the finish on these things, and render them useless.

If you still don't have eclipse glasses, you may want to try all of the places I mentioned above (except for my computer club, of course). And if that doesn't work, a local observatory, planetarium, news station, or astronomy club may be able to help you find some.

Margret
A lot of libraries were given thousands of free glasses.

Other places which may still have them are

Best Buy
WalMart
Academy
Target

arouetta

Top Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately, sitting back on your lower legs that way is also a very good way to injure your knees if you do it for a long period of time. You should be okay doing it while your shoulder heals, but don't get in the habit.
Weird, that's how we were to sit when I was in a beginner Aikido class. I've never heard of any ancient martial arts masters that were crippled by arthritis.

"Treehouse Masters" on Animal Planet is rather fun. These guys travel around and make a lot of money building custom treehouses for people with enough property and trees to make it feasible. And then they make more money by filming it all and putting it on T.V.. :evilgrin:
If you like that show, Tanked and Insane Pools: Off the Deep End would also be a fun thing to watch. I personally find Tanked boring, as the bulk of the show is how things go wrong and obviously intentional over-reactions between the workers, with a teeny bit of time devoted to customer interview/initial concept and final result. Treehouse Masters kinda alternates between the focus being on the actual construction/final result during an episode and then an episode that is scripted in a way that seems like Tanked screenwriters decided to take over. I've only seen a couple of episodes of Insane Pools but so far it seems to be a focus on construction/final result. Obviously things go wrong on film for Treehouse Masters and Insane Pools, but it's more of a "okay, something went wrong, here's how we are fixing it" rather than a "Omg, this job is RUINED!!!" and the screen time for problems is much shorter.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Weird, that's how we were to sit when I was in a beginner Aikido class. I've never heard of any ancient martial arts masters that were crippled by arthritis.
When I was a young woman I weighed 100 pounds, give or take 5 pounds, and, because I'm short, chairs frequently don't fit me (a problem that has gotten worse as I age). So the most comfortable way for me to sit, the way I habitually sat, was with my feet tucked up underneath me so they didn't need to reach the floor. (I would, of course, take my shoes off first.) This worked fine for many years, until I began putting on weight. When that happened there was more fat on my thighs and calves, which meant that more pressure was being put on my knees -- think a nutcracker and imagine the pressure that's put on the joints every time you use it to crack, say, a walnut. That kind of pressure.

Now think what happens when you try to use this kind of nutcracker on a pistachio or piñon nut. It doesn't work, because there is no pressure; the nut is too small to even register with the nutcracker. That's why sitting on my feet didn't bother me for all those years -- the pressure on my knees was minimal because my legs were skinny. But after I began putting on weight my knees began hurting and it was diagnosed as osteoarthritis, which is caused by the accumulation of cartilage injuries in a joint.

I suspect that there are very few fat martial arts masters.

Margret

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My grandmother had a feeling something like this would happen. So she gave me everything she wanted me to have while she was still alive. My father got everything else and divided it, but never gave me anything that was left. That's o.k. I already had some of the old furniture. (I would give it all back in exchange for her though).

I am sorry for your loss.

Sorry for not being in touch for a while. Grandma passed last night. The center was polite, caring, and understanding. The funeral company (when they finally arrived, although I understand taking a while when you get a call at four-thirty in the morning) was polite, caring, and understanding.

Pardon me while I rant. Grandma's husband and his daughter were not. After talking about mundane, practical matters they began planning to sell the heirloom furniture that, according to Grandma's will (and in the will is explicitly stated as) belonging to AWM. AWM said she didn't want to sell and, despite this, were talking about getting an appraiser to take a look at the furniture and get a price for sale. They didn't drop the subject until I said I was interested in the furniture. (Apparently while it's okay to screw over AWM, it's not okay to do so to me. Or, I didn't manage to keep my voice calm and they heard how close I was getting to homicidal rage. Hard to tell.)

So AWM and I have been informing family and friends about the passing this morning.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had this dream since Saturday night that Sable (my other foster) is alone and scared outside. It's driving me crazy. I keep checking the shelter website and I've called them twice, but she hasn't been turned in over there. I feel so helpless as I don't know where she is to go look around.
I'm hoping it's just paranoia and the dream doesn't mean anything. But, I can't shake the feeling of stress/helplessness/worry.

arouetta

Top Cat
Purraise
Holy cow! Where my husband works does custom framing for pictures. There was an abandoned piece, someone got it framed two years ago and never came back. It was decided to free up space and throw the framed picture out. My husband threw it out all right - right into the trunk of his car. I can't believe the quality of this picture. I think the paper is real papyrus paper.

20170816_162059.jpg
20170816_162123.jpg
20170816_162114.jpg

mokapi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This is amazing!!!

On the topic of professional framers-- I recently had an original piece (by my favorite artist!!!!) framed at a local, mom & pop framing shop. While talking to the lady who works there, I learned that a customer just a few weeks ago had come into her store, quite angry at Michael's (local, big box craft store, for those who don't have them) framing department.

Apparently, she had brought in an authenticated paper (maybe an inventory list, or a receipt; something like that) signed by French general Napoleon Bonaparte...and Micahel's had thrown away the authenticity papers.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Holy cow! Where my husband works does custom framing for pictures. There was an abandoned piece, someone got it framed two years ago and never came back. It was decided to free up space and throw the framed picture out. My husband threw it out all right - right into the trunk of his car. I can't believe the quality of this picture. I think the paper is real papyrus paper.

View attachment 192205 View attachment 192203 View attachment 192204
Wow!!! That's a picture of the ancient Egyptian pharaoh Akhenaton making a sacrifice to RA.
How cool is that.

Status
Not open for further replies.