The "What's on your mind?" Thread -2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
AWM is afraid that, after Grandma began her cycle of hospital and rehab, her husband took a loan against the furniture. (We know that Grandma wouldn't have done so.) If he did, is there anything we can do?
You could sue, perhaps, but only if you never want to speak with the husband and his daughter ever again. My feeling is that the executor needs to come up with some solution that has the heirloom furniture going to AWM while the husband retains liability for the loan. That would probably mean requiring that the loan be paid off immediately, so the lender has no more claim on the furniture, and the cost of paying it off comes from the husband's portion of the estate. If the husband is the executor, you're up the creek with no paddle.

Margret

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm going to show my stupidity here. I know what DH, DS, DD and all that means. What is AWM? I tried looking it up on Google and couldn't find anything.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm going to show my stupidity here. I know what DH, DS, DD and all that means. What is AWM? I tried looking it up on Google and couldn't find anything.
I wondered that too when I first read her posts, but those are just her personal way of referring to her family members :D.

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought they were the people's initials.

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
I know Tallyollyopia refers to her mom as "awesome wise mother" and her brother has some letters referring to him as not being responsible but can't remember which letters those were.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 Honey I am so very sorry for your loss-I meant to say something yesterday but it slipped my mind.
Thank you. It's not a problem that it slipped your mind...you have a bit going on on your end!

Last night was so funny! I was sitting outside, and Dulcie came up and sat at the curb across the parking lot, watching me watching her. She sat there for a few, then scampered over behind a tree. She would peek out, I would say "I see you!" and she would duck back. We did this several times, then she came back out, walked to where she had been sitting, looked at me for a few moments, then left. I almost felt as if she knew that we were playing a game together, and wanted to let me know very politely that she had fun, but it was time to go. These ferals continue to amaze me.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Discovered some old CDS in my truck=came across the greatest hits of THE WHO. And I found several songs I really like. We Don't get fooled again and Who are you. Then some other obscure bands I loved in the 80s. Restless Heart and Randy Travis and other stuff...wow I love it when I hear music I haven't heard in years. ROCK ON!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I cleaned the refrigerator condenser coils today. It's under the fridge at the very back so kind of a pain to look under there with a flashlight and poke around with a long handled brush. A huge thick sheet of Leroy's fur came off :eek::eek3: No wonder my freezer temp occasionally swings up to 20F even though I have it set to 0F. The condender coil is a cylinder so I was only able to get the bottom clean. I have no idea if the top and sides of the condenser has a sheet of fur as well. I Googled a diagram of my fridge and at the back there is a removable plate and then you can access stuff. There is no way I'm moving the fridge by myself :headshake:

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
where do you find where a discontinued show is still playing in reruns? have sound some but others are hiding.
There are a few old shows (ones that at least some of us loved) that are now available on YouTube. "Greatest American Hero," "Firefly" (except not "Serenity," the movie they made to tie up loose ends after they were canceled), "Ducktails" (I know, they're doing a "Ducktails" reboot, but IMO it isn't as good as the original. David Tennant is acing it as the voice of Uncle Scrooge, and Donald's voice hasn't changed since I was a small child, but the nephews neither sound nor look the way they should). And a few have simply disappeared without a trace. :sigh: I'd love to be able to find episodes of the short-lived series "Earth 2." (Obviously, I should check out some of the aforementioned websites.)

And there are a couple of movies that I'd love to find, only one of which I've seen. "Oblivion," starring George Takei, and "Oblivion 2," also starring Takei. The first one was hilarious, but neither one made much money. And it's complicated by the fact that there are two other movies named "Oblivion" and "Oblivion 2," neither of which stars Takei.

I cleaned the refrigerator condenser coils today. It's under the fridge at the very back so kind of a pain to look under there with a flashlight and poke around with a long handled brush. A huge thick sheet of Leroy's fur came off :eek::eek3: No wonder my freezer temp occasionally swings up to 20F even though I have it set to 0F. The condender coil is a cylinder so I was only able to get the bottom clean. I have no idea if the top and sides of the condenser has a sheet of fur as well. I Googled a diagram of my fridge and at the back there is a removable plate and then you can access stuff. There is no way I'm moving the fridge by myself :headshake:
I feel you there! Also, it's important for refrigerators to be level, and extremely hard to level them by yourself. I remember when ours was delivered and it was very finicky work.

Margret

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd love to be able to find episodes of the short-lived series "Earth 2." (Obviously, I should check out some of the aforementioned websites.)
fmovies.is has 20 episodes of it. I didn't find Oblivion, but I have a lot of movie websites so I can look on some of those and report back.
I have George Takei's autograph with a short saying on the back of a 'while you were out' slip. I need to find it.

arouetta

Top Cat
Purraise
Bribe a couple of high school kids to move for you.

I don't know how good of a deal this is. When I walked into work today there was a sign featuring two new pet brands. One was Blue Buffalo. I came in early so I checked it out. It's not the Wilderness version. 2 lbs $8.99, 5 lb $15.99. Is that a good price? I can shave a buck or two off with the red card, and another buck with the employee discount.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

I don't know how good of a deal this is. When I walked into work today there was a sign featuring two new pet brands. One was Blue Buffalo. I came in early so I checked it out. It's not the Wilderness version. 2 lbs $8.99, 5 lb $15.99. Is that a good price? I can shave a buck or two off with the red card, and another buck with the employee discount.
Well, a 7# bag at Chewy is $18.99, so that sounds about right.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And there are a couple of movies that I'd love to find, only one of which I've seen. "Oblivion," starring George Takei, and "Oblivion 2," also starring Takei.
putlocker today has Oblivion (1994), but I can't seem to find Oblivion 2 (1996) anyplace that you don't have to sign up. sorry.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
fmovies.is has 20 episodes of it. I didn't find Oblivion, but I have a lot of movie websites so I can look on some of those and report back.
I have George Takei's autograph with a short saying on the back of a 'while you were out' slip. I need to find it.
20 episodes are probably all there are; I think the thing only lasted for one season, maybe one and a half. I hate it when they cancel a show in the middle of a mystery. That's what they did with "Firefly," too. It's why they had to make "Serenity." At least with "Babylon 5" they gave them enough warning to resolve things, even though they didn't give them time to finish the planned story arc. (Yet another excellent series, by the way. I have the complete set on DVD.)

I'm hoping I can find "Oblivion" and its sequel on Netflix; we're planning to get it later this month after a friend sells me a used Roku for $20.

That sounds like what I pay at PetSmart.

putlocker today has Oblivion (1994), but I can't seem to find Oblivion 2 (1996) anyplace that you don't have to sign up. sorry.
Thank you. I'll check it out.

Margret

arouetta

Top Cat
Purraise
I had a rough night at work. I'm slower than usual when it comes to hanging and folding clothes and sorting the returned/found items so they can be put away. Kinda understandable, I've only got one functioning arm right now. But I got so backed up that I had a good hard cry during my lunch break because I was so frustrated and feeling overwhelmed.

Now for the backstory, before I kvetch my head off. While my brown hair and brown eyes clearly show that my Viking ancestors had a little fun while raiding England, I am one of the palest people you will ever know. Even with my nice suntan I am still paler than many people without any real suntan. For example, I asked for some makeup advice so I could look good before the next interview, but I haven't worn makeup in years and didn't know where to start. Suntanned, and possibly a mild case of rosacea because my nose and going into my cheeks a bit has a permanent sunburn, and still the clerk said "For foundation I would recommend Ivory. Maybe the next lighter color, but I would start with Ivory." So there is absolutely no way I could be mistaken for any ethnic group other than white.

So the returned items were coming back at a huge rate, and I had to pick up fallen items in Clearance all night as no customer bothers to pick up anything they knock off a hanger. Plus people love to just throw stuff over bars rather than take the 3 seconds to hang it back up, and right now I need a table to put things on a hanger, I can't just scoop up and hang. The phone is ringing off the hook, and Electronics won't tell me they are with a customer and can't pick up the phone until the customer on the phone has been on hold long enough to be rightfully upset. I can't bend over without pain and apparently all those knee down/stand up maneuvers ended up pulling a muscle in my left thigh, it's tight and tense and hurts, and we're not going to talk about the pain of going down or standing up. I ended up bending over at the waist the second half of the night, shoulder pain be d***ed. Plus a couple of customers got angry when they asked for an item and I told them we didn't have it.

So near the end of the night the manager on duty, who is my direct boss, called me into the employee area, opened HR's door and we had a little chat. More background, many people who change their mind about buying something don't do the employee friendly thing of taking it to the register and telling the cashier they changed their mind. (I knew it was the employee friendly thing long before I worked in retail, so I'm pretty sure it's common knowledge.) They just tend to leave the item wherever. Some people get sneaky about it and place it with something that visually looks the same, I guess to make it more of a challenge to find it and make it right, but most people are more "whatever" about finding a place.

So earlier in the day I had seen a woman my age with a much younger woman, probably a teen. They were both white. The teen was in the racks, the older woman in the aisle. The woman held up a shirt and asked "Do you want this?" to the teen. Then she walked into the racks and came out empty-handed. I looked at the teen and she wasn't holding it. Well I didn't want to be hunting it down in the wrong area later, so I asked "Are you buying that shirt?" That way if they said no, I could take the shirt and put it away in the right area/right brand. The teen said yes, so I went on my way.

Well according to the woman I was rude by asking that, I was loud in order to call attention to them, I made them feel like I thought they were stealing and (here's the fun part) I'm racist against white people.

Now on my end, I could have been more wordy to convey my intent. Instead I let my frustration with myself over being slow bleed over into being direct and moving on quick. But beyond that?

They also said it happened at the fitting room when it didn't. But everything else matched, so it's not a case of upsetting someone else when I ask (as customers leave the fitting room) "Do you want that?" so I can tell them to toss it into the basket instead of hunting it down later in the wrong area. All I can think is they must have gone to the fitting room and saw me being casual about counting items when dealing with a customer of a different ethnic group. Someone taking 15 items in, I do a count going out. Someone taking 3 in, I can eyeball that on the way out and not look like I'm actually counting.

From what I was told, the woman complained about me to the Guest Services manager, would not accept an apology, and a few hours later (when I was coincidentally crying my eyes out on break) called and asked for the manager on duty, repeated the complaint and said she's calling corporate in the morning. So this is going to be a Very Big Deal.

At least I have the satisfaction of knowing that the Guest Services manager was confused as all getout because the described behavior was so totally unlike me she couldn't believe it was me being talked about, and my boss told me that she also couldn't believe it as I'm one of her best people.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
arouetta arouetta , did you find the green shirt?
  1. First, the older woman was holding it.
  2. Then she wasn't.
  3. The teen wasn't holding it.
  4. The teen said that they were buying it.
Does it strike you that something is missing here, specifically the green shirt? If they were buying it they should have obviously still been holding it. The woman went into the stacks with it, where you couldn't see her, and came out without it, or at least she didn't obviously have it. I think you interrupted a theft or attempted theft and the woman was afraid that you would tell security so she decided to complain about you first. The stuff about discriminating against whites is currently something of a buzzword; it has nothing to do with you or your color, and it's pretty good evidence of a smokescreen. I wouldn't be embarrassed by a question of whether or not I was planning to buy something, no matter how loud. But that's probably because I don't have a guilty conscience.

If you're able to do it without further injury to your shoulder, a very hot shower may help those muscle aches, but the sooner after you acquire the ache the more useful the technique. It speeds the release of the toxins that overworked muscles build up.

You may want to put some kind of belt around both your sling and your waist, to support your arm when you have to bend over. If necessary, ask a coworker to help you put it on.

Margret

Status
Not open for further replies.