The "What's on your mind?" Thread -2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

That's what I'm thinking.  Does she think car rental companies replace their cars as soon as the new models come out?  So snobby.

A few months ago, a woman said "The car was really old and had a lot of miles; 30,000."  And I'm driving a 2001 with almost 100k on it.  These people baffle me.

And the things they complain about - one woman was ticked off because she fell asleep at the wheel and had an accident.  How is that the rental company's fault?  It's all ridiculous.
Wow. Before my car was scrapped it had almost a million miles on it. Wonder what she would have made of that? Heh. (And it's the rental company's fault for the same reason that it's my  fault when people either aren't old enough for tobacco and alcohol or don't have their ID's to prove they are.)

1. Thank you for the suggestion.  I never thought of that.  Michaels and Hobby Lobby are both still having "Cyber Monday" sales, according to my inbox.
  2. Well, I'm glad it worked.  I don't understand why it worked, but cat logic is, um, inscrutable? obscure? something like that.
  3. Candy canes are high carb, which isn't good but also isn't an emergency if a cat gets a bit.  Check labels to make sure there's nothing poisonous to cats in them, and pick them up immediately if they do break, but a few crumbs shouldn't hurt the cats.  To be doubly sure, get the kind that come individually wrapped in clear cellophane and keep them wrapped.  They'll be just as colorful, but a little bit safer.  Also, you may want to look into some other flavors than mint, which come in a variety of colors, not just the standard red and white (depending on your theory of tree decoration -- do you like it to be all one or two colors, or should there be more variety?).
Even with zero miles on it, a car bought at the end of the year, when the next year's cars have just come out, has a lower blue book price.  This is important to some people.  My 2000 Toyota Echo has quite a lot of miles on it (don't know how many for sure), and a few dents, and it's totally reliable and always aces its emissions tests.  It's also a bit bigger on the inside than the outside.  Newer cars have fancier gadgets, like seats that you can raise and automatic shoulder harnesses, but I'm perfectly happy dealing with my shoulder harness myself, and sitting on a pillow works just fine.  And, unlike newer cars, I can play old audio cassette tapes in it as well as CDs.

As for the rental company being responsible for the accident, well, they did rent her a car that had a nice, comfortable driver's seat, right?  It may even have had (gasp!) cruise control.  Clearly the car was defective.  (Sarcasm, of course.)  And it's going to take a lot more than that for her to win the case if she tries to take it to court.

Good night, all.  Margret
We used to get a variety of fruit-flavored canes for the tree; cherry, raspberry, orange, lime, lemon, etc. (No grape though. I can't stand grape.)

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
People are just horrible anymore.  At least 3/4 of the people I talk to are rude and some of them are just downright mean.  I've been called a lot of names I'm not going to type here.  And they complain about the dumbest crap.  One woman's key fob was acting up and it took her 20 minutes to unlock the car.  Um, lady, just use the dang key!  And a guy complained because he got a ticket because they rented him a red car and everyone knows red cars get more tickets.  I'm not allowed to let a spouse do the survey and when I explain that politely, a lot of them get nasty.  It's just ridiculous.  But it's a living.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Emma's wrapped around her Snuggle Safe heat pad today:

If she had her way, she'd lie on the roommates' heating pad. Yes, the roommates are spoiled
The heating pad isn't currently plugged in but the roommates seem just fine curled up in their igloo. I'll toss in some more tissue wipes for them to burrow under.

Leroy is under the blankets on the bed. He crawled under as soon as I got out of bed

I think I'm going to use the other Snuggle Safe for myself. I'm home sick with chills and a cough and various aches
Can't seem to get warm no matter how many layers I put on

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she had her way, she'd lie on the roommates' heating pad. Yes, the roommates are spoiled
The heating pad isn't currently plugged in but the roommates seem just fine curled up in their igloo. I'll toss in some more tissue wipes for them to burrow under.

Leroy is under the blankets on the bed. He crawled under as soon as I got out of bed

I think I'm going to use the other Snuggle Safe for myself. I'm home sick with chills and a cough and various aches
Can't seem to get warm no matter how many layers I put on
I'm feeling the same way.  I know why my back is hurting - I didn't want to wait on John to do a full litter change so I lugged the 40 lb box of litter myself.  I know better.  I broke my back when I was 16.  Did it anyway.  And now I'm kicking myself for it.  And last night I couldn't stop shaking and I'm coughing and have a sore throat.

Feel better soon!

By the way, sorry if I'm being nosy, but why do you call the hamsters roommates?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I'm feeling the same way.  I know why my back is hurting - I didn't want to wait on John to do a full litter change so I lugged the 40 lb box of litter myself.  I know better.  I broke my back when I was 16.  Did it anyway.  And now I'm kicking myself for it.  And last night I couldn't stop shaking and I'm coughing and have a sore throat.

Feel better soon!

By the way, sorry if I'm being nosy, but why do you call the hamsters roommates?
They're mice, not hamsters. No particular reson why I call them the cats's roommates.

I can't get warm
Hot tea, heating pads, layers of clothes aren't helping. My fingers and toes have that numb tingly feeling that you get when you've been outside in freezing cold weather with no gloves making and throwing snowballs 
I was actually shivering at one point. No idea if I'll feel well enough to go to work tomorrow.

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

They're mice, not hamsters. No particular reson why I call them the cats's roommates.

I can't get warm
Hot tea, heating pads, layers of clothes aren't helping. My fingers and toes have that numb tingly feeling that you get when you've been outside in freezing cold weather with no gloves making and throwing snowballs 
I was actually shivering at one point. No idea if I'll feel well enough to go to work tomorrow.
Sorry; I'm not sure why I thought they were hamsters.  It's cute.  I was wondering if you'd gotten it from the Stephanie Plum books because she calls her hamster her roommate.

Maybe you should try a really hot bath?

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you are cold and shivering, you are probably running a fever. Have you checked it? You ought see a doctor if you have one.

I did a baddie this morning. I went out on the deck to feed the birds for the cats, didn't see the solid ice, slipped and landed flat on my butt, twisting my knee badly. It was my good leg, of course, so I can't go down stairs. If twisted to the left even slightly, my knee gives out and down I go again. Been lying on the couch all day, and it doesn't hurt then.

The funniest part was when I was lying there in the snow, writhing in pain, my biggest fear was that the cats would run out the open door. When I looked, though, they were both staring at me in utter horror. It must have been a sight.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Feel better soon!  I did that once.  Had to go for Xrays.  Still have a crunched little finger on the left hand because of it.  *But my camera is safe* 

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@LTS3, @DreamerRose is correct; that definitely sounds like you're running a fever.  This probably means you're contagious; even if you can bring the fever down with an NSAID, you probably shouldn't be going to work tomorrow.

@DreamerRose, if you absolutely have to use stairs, use a cane (or preferably the railing, if you have one), and step down or up one step at a time.  The leg with the worse knee goes on the bottom step, so that all of the lifting (up or down) is being done by the better knee.  If you're using a cane, use it on the side opposite the really bad knee, so that your center of gravity is over your (almost) good knee.

The cats must have been really startled and alarmed to find out that Mom is vulnerable.

Margret

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

That's what I'm thinking.  Does she think car rental companies replace their cars as soon as the new models come out?  So snobby.

A few months ago, a woman said "The car was really old and had a lot of miles; 30,000."  And I'm driving a 2001 with almost 100k on it.  These people baffle me.

And the things they complain about - one woman was ticked off because she fell asleep at the wheel and had an accident.  How is that the rental company's fault?  It's all ridiculous.
When I bought my car a year ago, I felt weird because I was getting a car that was only a few years old (2014). This is the newest car that I have ever owned and probably will own. Brand new cars are a waste of money. 

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@Margret- I'm already equipped with a cane, which makes it possible to get around the house, but I now have two bad legs instead of just one. The one that got twisted was my "good" leg for going downstairs, so I may be grounded for a while. I may try the garage tomorrow. It's just two steps, and I put a drawer handle on the door frame to pull myself up with. Maybe I can use it to go down. Also have some hydrocodone I can take. If I can just get to the drugstore to buy one of those elastic knee braces, I think I will be fine. I was really panicky about the cats getting out because there was no way I could go after them, but I guess with all the snow on the ground they wouldn't have gone far. They are indoor kitties.

@NewYork1303  - I agree with you about the cars. I had to buy one about six months ago, and it was a 2015. Someone traded it in with only 10,000 miles on it, so I got it for about 2/3 of the original price. I can't imagine why anyone would trade in a practically new car, but their loss was my gain.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

@Margret- I'm already equipped with a cane, which makes it possible to get around the house, but I now have two bad legs instead of just one. The one that got twisted was my "good" leg for going downstairs, so I may be grounded for a while. I may try the garage tomorrow. It's just two steps, and I put a drawer handle on the door frame to pull myself up with. Maybe I can use it to go down. Also have some hydrocodone I can take. If I can just get to the drugstore to buy one of those elastic knee braces, I think I will be fine. I was really panicky about the cats getting out because there was no way I could go after them, but I guess with all the snow on the ground they wouldn't have gone far. They are indoor kitties.

@NewYork1303  - I agree with you about the cars. I had to buy one about six months ago, and it was a 2015. Someone traded it in with only 10,000 miles on it, so I got it for about 2/3 of the original price. I can't imagine why anyone would trade in a practically new car, but their loss was my gain.
Mine was a rental car. So it only had around 21000 miles on it. I like being able to pick up a car a few years old with low miles for massively less cost. It just makes more sense for me. 

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ended up going to bed early last night because my back was in so much pain
Tylenol didn'thelp. Felt even worse when I woke up so called in sick again. Well texted since it was 4am. And got a response back right away. I have no idea what my supervisor does at 4am every day
Her cats actually let her sleep in. Fed my cats, took some Robitussin and more Tylenol, and went back to bed. The chills are annoying. Sometimes I feel hot but deep inside I'm freezing cold and shivering
  Might go to the urgent care place later. We'll see.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
WOW...I skip a couple of days, and ya'll get all chatty on me!  AND none of my threads are in my updates any more.  That's it..when I shuffle off this mortal coil, they're gonna bury the computer with me,and I can just keep posting!

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Ended up going to bed early last night because my back was in so much pain
Tylenol didn'thelp. Felt even worse when I woke up so called in sick again. Well texted since it was 4am. And got a response back right away. I have no idea what my supervisor does at 4am every day
Her cats actually let her sleep in. Fed my cats, took some Robitussin and more Tylenol, and went back to bed. The chills are annoying. Sometimes I feel hot but deep inside I'm freezing cold and shivering
  Might go to the urgent care place later. We'll see.
Definitely a fever - sounds like a high one.  You can alternate tylenol and ibruprofen for the fever.  Also place cool wash cloths on your forehead, neck, armpits, back of knees, and groin.  That should help to lower the fever quite a bit.  And even if you're still getting chills, be careful not to bundle up too much because that can cause your fever to get even higher.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Has anyone heard from @Handsome Kitty  recently?  I'm hoping her amazon job hasn't worn her to a frazzled shadow of her former self.  Working at amazon would probably flatten me in the first hour.  

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@LTS3, if Tylenol isn't lowering the fever, you definitely need to go to the urgent care facility.

Well, John Glenn is dead.  He was 95.  I remember my mother getting me up early one morning to watch the first American go into orbit.  My brothers and I all climbed in bed between my parents and watched the television at the foot of the bed.  I couldn't figure out why all the grownups (even Mr. Cronkite!) seemed to be so worried.  I asked my mother and she told me that no one was certain that it was actually possible to breathe without gravity.  This was obviously a lie, because I knew that dogs and chimps had been sent to space and done just fine, but I didn't push.  I figured if it was bad enough to make my mother lie it must be really bad, and it was better to just let it go.  It was many years before I found out that there had been a series of launch pad explosions during testing.  Having since watched Challenger explode, I understand why my mother didn't want to talk about it.  Hmm.  I may be remembering wrong.  I think it's more likely that was Alan Shepard's flight.  We watched all of them.  It's been so long, and I was so young, that some of the early ones blur together.

It's after 11 p.m. here.  Good night, all.

Margret

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Ah, you're probably better off staying at home than relying on hydrocodone.  That will take care of the pain enough for you to get around, but it will also take care of the pain enough for you to do further damage to yourself.  Unless you can find a way to get some kind of Ace bandage or brace for your knee, I suggest you stick to your original plan.

Regarding @Handsome Kitty, I just clicked on her handle and found the information that she was most recently on TCS 8 hours and 25 minutes ago.  She may well be tired, but she's still making time for us.

And now, good night.

Margret

Last edited:

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Going to Dr.'s tomorrow. Pain is so bad the hydrocodone barely helps. The tip to use the cane on the opposite side was a big help. Ace bandage helps, too, although it's a poor specimen. Mingo has been a wonderful nurse, loving, concerned, and sleeping by my side all day. Lily stares at me like I'm the cripple I am.

Status
Not open for further replies.