The Weight Loss Support Group

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The past couple of days my weight has been below 175 (it was 173.4 today), which moves my BMI from obese to kust overweight.
175 is obese?! When I was 180 something I didn't consider myself obese. But Marilyn Monroe size is considered plus size these days.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The past couple of days my weight has been below 175 (it was 173.4 today), which moves my BMI from obese to kust overweight. Maybe this running thing is actually helping.
That is wonderful! :-)

I bet you are getting a bit of lost energy back to.

175 is obese?! When I was 180 something I didn't consider myself obese. But Marilyn Monroe size is considered plus size these days.
Crazy eh? The Doctors now - anything over - I can't recall if it's 20 or 30 pounds (or a BMI)- of what your natural weight should be for your height and age is considered obese. (10 pounds is roughly one dress size.)

It sucks for people who naturally have more muscle mass and would be 10 pounds over the average no matter what. BMI is supposed to calculate for that but it doesn't always and it makes people feel awful about themselves.

Yes, Marilyn Monroe is these days - isn't that insane?

Jamie Lee Kurtis was also considered not idea and "plus" because she was a size 14, and she was /is quite fit. I wish I could find the article where she talks about it.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, Marilyn Monroe is these days - isn't that insane?

Jamie Lee Kurtis was also considered not idea and "plus" because she was a size 14, and she was /is quite fit. I wish I could find the article where she talks about it.
Yeah, back then size 12 & 14 was the standard size.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
Working with a trainer the last few years, I’ve learned that “fitness” is not only about weight. It’s a factor, but the type of weight, diet, the stature of the person, the genetics… all play a part in the definition of “fitness”.

I was 180 (+) at one point, I’m moderately tall, and carry my weight fairly evenly, so people didn’t believe how heavy I was. I now fluctuate between 150-160, not thin, but I’ve developed more muscle mass, and improved my cardio, so I consider myself more fit.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Slow and steady wins the race. Keep going and things will yo-yo for a bit and that's very normal.

I hope you are giving yourself a pass right now. XOXO