The Unofficial, Unauthorized, Probably Going to Get Me Kicked Off TCS for Breaking the Rules Question of Whatever Question of the Day Rules Are?

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
All but two of my cats over the years were kittens without names. Of the two adult adoptees, Mayflower was a stray that the neighborhood kids had named after the moving company. She’d had a litter of kittens and whenever they tried to trap her and the kittens, she moved them. I kept her name because it fit her. Mocha had been named Martha at the shelter, and she looked nothing like a Martha. After two weeks of trying numerous names on her, my husband came up with the name Mocha. Perfect!

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I see nothing wrong with changing names. Our 2nd cat's name when we got her was awful. Just couldn't do it. Took us a week or so to come up with something more appropriate but being she was a rescue, who knows if she ever had a name that she knew at that point.

Our 1st cat, though, came to us as a senior and absolutely knew his name, which kind of fit him. So we kept it.

Our 3rd we gave a big fancy name to because she's registered with CFA but about a year in we started calling her a completely different name out of the blue. It just fit her better. And she responds to it better. I don't really think she cared at all. Sometimes I think it's more the tone you use that they respond to than the actual name.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I kept Artie's name because he had it for 8 years. I did not feel it was in his best interests to change it; after all the upheaval he had been through.

With Geoffrey, I just HAD to change his name, eventhough he had it for 4 years. I just could not call a sweet, cutie kitty, Goofy.. Now, 5 years later, he does not respond to his original name. He knows his name is Geoffrey or Geffey, or o0-Bo, or Sweetie, or Honey Pies.. mostly, he is called Geoffie or Geoffrey or BoBo... Bobo was my first cat.. and Geoffrey will most likely be my last kitty. I am being consistent and going in a complete circle with kitty names...

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
(And just PM a Mod about being assigned a day for question asking nurseangel nurseangel I know there’s openings!)
I looked around the rules and stickied posts and I actualy don't think there's any rules around question of the day or people assigned to it (correct me and link source if im wrong)

As long as they aren't getting spammy or excessive I don't see a problem with them.

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes and no. One came with the name Jingle. I changed it to Diamond. Another came with the name Tiger. He was badly traumatized - after 3+ years he still is - and I felt it would be best if I left him with that name.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Callie's name is from her first family. I kept it but I don't like it. Too many calicos
named Callie. I gave her a middle name, Noelle.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've changed all my animal's names except my horses, since they were registered, although some did get new barn names.
The latest, however, was my black cat Kumal. His shelter name was 'Boy' and that was changed within a mile of the shelter. Even though he was 3, he took to Kumal almost instantly. Don't know what his name was before.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yep i would change the name before i even finnished filling out the adoption papers like we did with graycie.:lol:the foster or what ever you call the person working with petsmart to get cats adopted out asked us to change her name also we told her not to worry she already has a new name.that aside if the name already fit the cat i would leave it the same

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I changed all of my animals names from the names they had at the rescue. Maisie was Magnolia, Remy was Sammie, Flora was Earl the Girl and for my dogs Poppy was Petunia and Roo was both Bhairu and Elmer Fudd. Roo and Poppy are from the same litter but Roo's original family (who named him Bhairu) returned him to the rescue and I fostered him (and failed). Roo is actually just the last syllable of his second name that I started calling him when I was fostering him because Bhairu just didn't flow off the tongue and it ended up becoming his official name with me.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww,Bob is cute- unless of course he just doesn't look like a Bob!

I seem to change every animals name,,even my Registed horses all had " pet: names I called them and thst is what they respond to.... whatever " comes" to mind ,if they respond favorably then that's their name!

Now 'Timmy" my newest addition to the family was Timmy for 7,yrs but as an unsocialized adult rogue feral he responded to nothing becsuse no one ever talked to him......last yr I started calling him Baby or Baba and he knows thst means him but I've started calling him Timmy and he's learning thst too,crazy but Baba( bahbah) just kinda sticks

Go for it nurseangel nurseangel .... he'll show you what it should be❤

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Bob is Bob. I told DH's friend that I named Bob after him. He was flattered. He has owned local restaurants in the past and makes delicious vegetable soup. Maybe he shall give me the recipe. Yes, mani mani Americans can be devious. I am just kidding. DH's friend knows better.

Bob knows his name! Every morning lately, I find a strand of fake grapes on my table. This morning, I caught him red-handed, chewing away on my grapes. I said, "Bob, no!" And he looked at me and kept chewing. The grapes are Styrofoam and don't exactly have a glitter coating. However, it is close enough that I am taking no chances. The grapes are being banished to the top of the fridge.

Grapes, on their way to banishment:

20231115_125204.jpg

Now on the kitchen counter. Out of reach for him, but in my way. Doesn't that whatever coating is on the grapes look dangerous?

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Bob is Bob. I told DH's friend that I named Bob after him. He was flattered. He has owned local restaurants in the past and makes delicious vegetable soup. Maybe he shall give me the recipe. Yes, mani mani Americans can be devious. I am just kidding. DH's friend knows better.

Bob knows his name! Every morning lately, I find a strand of fake grapes on my table. This morning, I caught him red-handed, chewing away on my grapes. I said, "Bob, no!" And he looked at me and kept chewing. The grapes are Styrofoam and don't exactly have a glitter coating. However, it is close enough that I am taking no chances. The grapes are being banished to the top of the fridge.

Grapes, on their way to banishment:

View attachment 463593

Now on the kitchen counter. Out of reach for him, but in my way. Doesn't that whatever coating is on the grapes look dangerous?
Fantastic - I think Bob is a great name....I've always named my cats with " hooman names-----they like little people in furry pajamas....Bob is proof,just like the TV commercial for kids " Grapes for snacks" lol

allmykitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It is kind of a "it depends" here ... mostly if I liked the name/seemed to fit. Of course, Circe had that name from the rescue I adopted her from, and I probably would not have chosen it for her but she was 6.5 years old when I adopted her, so I thought that it just wouldn't work well to try to change it. Autumn (adopted from the same shelter), being a calico who was found in September ... well, it just seemed a very fitting name.

However, the two black and whites, who were probably Autumn's kittens (they were all found together in circumstances that screamed "dump job" and with the two black and whites being the same age and younger than Autumn, it likely is correct)--I did not care for the names they had (Shiloh and Truly) so I did rename them Domino and TV.. Shiloh because he was so shy, I didn't want to keep calling him a name that sounded "shy" and landed on Domino. TV because, well, Truly didn't even seem like a name and I thought it would be cute to have a black and white cat named TV. I still have TV and Autumn (Autumn is a for now--she's sick like Domino was), Circe and Domino both passed away this year. That's it for the shelter/rescue origin cats for me. All the others are ones who, as I say "self rescued" in the case of Cosette, or are the feral borns who I caught and brought inside.