The Unofficial, Unauthorized, Probably Going to Get Me Kicked Off TCS for Breaking the Rules Question of Whatever Question of the Day Rules Are?

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Would you keep the name of the feline given to your cat if adopted from a shelter or rescue, bought from a breeder, given or sold to you by someone, or acquired through any means?

You all probably know how excited I am that Bob has joined our family. He was adopted from a no kill shelter and has already cost us over a whopping $1,200 in damages, by removing a heavy ornate vent and finding himself in my ductwork. No kitten is free, right? No kitten is $20.00 either. :lol:

Anyway, I had the name Poppy picked out for my new cat or kitten regardless of gender. I love Jerry Seinfeld, and Poppy was a man who took revenge on him on the television show by urinating on his sofa. Or perhaps it was an accident. We'll give Poppy a reasonable doubt.

(The majority of my cats didn't come named, so it was never an issue before. Then along came Bob. He is a five-month-old stumpy-tailed Manx kitten, and I thought the name was so cute that I kept it. It fit! He knew his name on about the third day (maybe sooner), we had him, because he is more intelligent than me or DH combined. :sniffle: He is still not socialized, but we are making progress quickly. Sometimes I do call him Bobber, since my preferred method of fishing is with a cane pole and a bobber, though I have not fished for years. I've never had many cats with people names before, because I am a little on the whimsical side. There is Elsie, Oscar, Sally, and there was Daisy. :redheartpump:

My question is, (and I am super jealous the members who do get to ask the question of the day) would you change your new kittens' or cats' name if they were already named?

And to the people in power out there, sorry for asking a Question of the Day, which will be asked by someone who a professional/assigned question asker. My apologies to those members, too, for trying to steal their job! And if nobody kicks me off the Site, how does one apply for the position, at least once in a while? I can be much more concise, I promise! :biggrin:

Last edited:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
My question is, (and I am super jealous the members who get to do the question of the day) would you change your new kittens' or cats' name if they had one already?
In all the years we've had pets we have always changed their name. We adopted all but one so they were given a name at the shelter but, of course, did not respond to it. The only cat whose name we have ever kept is our present guy, Carleton. He had been at the shelter for awhile and although we had planned to change his name we either couldn't agree or think of one that fit him so Carleton it was and we don't regret it for a minute. Good luck with Bob as well as the damages. 😉

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I adopted the cat that I have now from a no kill shelter and she is a young adult. She had the name Charlotte and I kept it. She is a tuxedo and I think she is very distinguished looking and I think Charlotte fits.

Pywacket21

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When I got my last poodle from a rescue, they named him Basil. UGH. Didn’t flow out of mouth easily to call him. They thought he was born around Christmas time, and asked DH if he would rename him. DH said yes, to Kris Kringle. He was Kris forever after. Pick a name that’s easy to say.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My question is, (and I am super jealous the members who do get to ask the question of the day) would you change your new kittens' or cats' name if they were already named?
Ruby had a shelter name, which wouldn't have been her real name, since she was taken to the shelter as a stray. I didn't care for the name they'd given her, so I changed it, and she very quickly started responding to "Ruby".

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Ruby had a shelter name, which wouldn't have been her real name, since she was taken to the shelter as a stray. I didn't care for the name they'd given her, so I changed it, and she very quickly started responding to "Ruby".
Same here with three of our cats. The SPCA was naming kittens after kinds of nuts so one was Brazil, one was Almond or something. Dumb. :lol: So we renamed those three. The other cats we’ve got have been older kitties and already used to their names, so we’ve kept them. We adopted a 14 year old this year. Her name was Mow-Mow. Also a dumb name :lol: IMO but she’d had it for 14 years so we didn’t want to change it. We call her Mowie, or Mowser.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome, Bob!! :redheartpump:

I don't think we would, but I guess it depends on the name. We did change Whisper's and Bootser's names (they belonged to our neighbor and had pretty standard names, Smokey and Mittens, as I recall), but Whisper's kittens all told us their names: BooBoo, Spike, Taffy, Gorby, and Ms. Pepe. Our son named Banshee one night when she was screaming bloody murder about something and he said, "Mom, she screams like a Banshee!" I got Mollipop's name when I was singing while doing laundry one night. And Tabby told me right out that her name was Tabitha, but I could call her Tabby; she told me that when I was carrying her to our house from the neighbor. Muffin was Mom's cat and we kept the name, even though I don't really care for Muffin as a name.

The girls have so many nicknames at this point, but they all know their exact name. If I call out a girl using her name, she will come. Unless it's Molli and she doesn't feel like it. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Aw, it makes me happy that you all replied! :grouphug: When I saw one of the little boys we trapped and sent through a rescue to the no kill shelter where we got Bob, they had named him Sarge! I couldn't believe it! No offense if your German Shephard or Doberman or a cat or even a child named Sarge, but I was so upset that the boy kittens (one who looked like a Siamese, the other who looked like a snowshoe, and could have easily passed for purebreds) weren't adopted together and at least one called by a name that didn't fit, I started to cry. Mostly because I wanted them to go together. I had to make some tough choices regarding those kittens, so I chose them to go the shelter because they were so beautiful that I thought they had the best chance at adoption. Afterward, the woman affiliated with the rescue that helped us said they were so wild they would probably end up as barn cats and that I should have sent Bree because she was so sweet. (I kept both black kittens because I thought that black cats and dogs were more difficult to find homes for.)

I had intended to use a combination of my former maiden name and now middle name as for Sally and Bree. However, Sally just didn't look like a May. The rest is history. :wink:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We’ve kept a few changed a few. Mooch and Noodles were actually not named at the shelter; just listed by coat color. Bunny was 2 so we kept her name; which she responded to. Pumpkin we kept even though he was a small kitten too. Olivia came from my aunt; whose landlord decided she couldn’t have her, so we kept that too. My aunt had given her a middle name that hardly gets mentioned though. Even when she’s being a stinker. :lol:

I named all our childhood cats except the one that came with my stepdad when he married my mom.

(And just PM a Mod about being assigned a day for question asking nurseangel nurseangel I know there’s openings!)

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There's nothing wrong with this question. :hugs:

I kept Lilith's name. I think it suits her. I did change Sophie's name. Her shelter name was Midge. DD was away at college when I adopted them. I called her from the shelter parking lot and told her that I had gotten two cats. I initially went for Lily. I told her that the second cat's name was Midge and wanted to change it. She came up with Sophie. DD also gave her her full name of Sophiesaurus Rex when we realized how destructive her zoomies can be. She really puts her all into them and can be like a furry wrecking ball. DD also gave Lilith her middle name. Belle.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I changed Lelia's name, but she was a kitten and she hadn't had it very long. If I had an older cat I might be more inclined to keep the name they came with if I didn't hate it.

This is for adopting a cat. If I inherited a cat by someone I knew rehoming or dying or something, I would 100% respect the name they came with.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Same as everyone else - only once have I not changed a name. Most of mine have been adopted from shelters and I've hated the names they had. Phoebe was "Lacy" and Maddie was "Ella", and the others were so long ago I don't remember their shelter names. Hadji was a feral lost from his litter, so no name. Cindy, Abbey and Sheba were all dumped over our back fence, so may not have had names from whatever unspeakable filth owned them. The one name I kept was Daisy. It was her shelter name, but I'd fancied it previously, so was happy to keep it.

tiggerwillow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It depends on the name, some of my cats I changed the names of (for example, Ebony was called Spooks, I changed her name as part of the whole "give her more confidence" thing, Willow I renamed cause she was called Mushroom and no way in hell was I going to be shouting MUSHROOM when trying to get her back inside - don't want to end up in a mental health hospital based on a cat's name, Tigger's old name didn't suit her at all and she acted like a Tigger from first meeting so instead of keeping her name (Roxy) I gave her the name that suited her

Willow likes her name, and she likes being called petal as well <3

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Kabuto was Denver when I got him, what a rediculous name for a cat Denver... a city in Colorado. Kabuto suits him much better.

Indy was Ginny, I have mixed feelings about Ginny, on one hand, Ginny is Ron Weasly's sister in Harry Potter, I loved the books growing up. But it also reminds me of a women's clothing store, Cotten Ginny. Indy comes from Indiana Jones.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
what a rediculous name for a cat Denver
Maybe he was named after John Denver the singer.

I kept my angel Poppy's name although not for the reason mentioned above LOL. Captain, who had all of his names on file with the shelter since he'd been found on the streets several times before we adopted him earlier this year, was called everything from Tigger to Stripes to Captain. Captain remained his formal name but around the house he's Buddy. I enjoy the fact that everyone who meets him, without knowing him, call him Buddy :heartshape:

Last edited:

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have adopted 5 cats from rescues. 3 of them are gone, sadly. All of them kept their shelter names:

RIP: Cynthia (Cindy), Swanie, Darcy
Current two: Cricket, Austin

Some of the names they give at the rescue where I volunteer I would change. They sometime go with themes, like drinks, sandwiches, other bizarre names I don't know where they get them from.

Gunther4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When we adopted Heathen from Animal Control her name was Holly as she was adopted around Christmas, Granddaughters saw her and wanted to call her Cocoa that lasted a day then the Heathen appeared in that cute little ball of black fuzz - the name Heathen stuck.