The Official TCS Babbling Games - Contest Now Open!

allmomskitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I put out several bird feeders by my patio hoping birds would come and my kitties could watch them from inside the window.....I never see too many though, I think the cat's scare them away by banging on the glass when they come
I gave up on bird feeders because the stray cats i feed hunt the birds while they're eating, so no feeders.  But in the summer we have 4 bird baths, and my cats love to watch them.  They do that crazy chattering thing and whip their tails around!  They do that when they see a squirrel, too. .

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
I put out several bird feeders by my patio hoping birds would come and my kitties could watch them from inside the window.....I never see too many though, I think the cat's scare them away by banging on the glass when they come
Your cats start banging on the glass....
That would scare the heck out of me too.  Has a bird ever flown at your window when the cat was there, because it happened once to one of mine, and he flipped...It must have been bird revenge.

I gave up on bird feeders because the stray cats i feed hunt the birds while they're eating, so no feeders.  But in the summer we have 4 bird baths, and my cats love to watch them.  They do that crazy chattering thing and whip their tails around!  They do that when they see a squirrel, too. .
My neighbours cat  also grabbed a bird while we were watching the birds, he hopped back over to his side, but the bird managed an escape....YAY!...i don't mind them catching mice, but not birds or chasing squirrels....squirrels are tough.

allmomskitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My neighbours cat  also grabbed a bird while we were watching the birds, he hopped back over to his side, but the bird managed an escape....YAY!...i don't mind them catching mice, but not birds or chasing squirrels....squirrels are tough.
All my cats are indoors, but I would never want them catching squirrels.  They can be nasty little things, and they are usually crawling with lice and fleas.  Icky. 

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
ohh ohh....i have squirrels in the garage, which is not attached to the house, but the lady next door feeds them outside....i didn't know they carried lice..yuk....but i kinda think they look cute when eating with their paws.

@AllMomsKitties   your photo of the "leader of the marching band" was so cute.  I was cracking up when you said they just sit there and "expect it to move".

christinemarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wonder how squirrels manage to find enough to eat when the snow is too deep for them to dig through to find their stash of seeds?
Maybe they have a route they travel every day where they can raid bird feeders if need be? Hmmm.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
I wonder how squirrels manage to find enough to eat when the snow is too deep for them to dig through to find their stash of seeds?
Maybe they have a route they travel every day where they can raid bird feeders if need be? Hmmm.
yeah, sounds logical enough, my sister saw a show once in where they said that they do remember where they stash their food, but how come some trees or tulips come up from where you know they had a stash.  i just wonder if they go house to house like you say because i have seen them trying to raid the garbage and recycling bins.

allmomskitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

@AllMomsKitties   your photo of the "leader of the marching band" was so cute.  I was cracking up when you said they just sit there and "expect it to move".
Thanks!  That wasn't a very good picture.  I was hoping to get at least a couple of the other cats in it, too.  Yep, he's the leader of the band alright.  Maybe we should have named him McNamara ..

Last edited:

christinemarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you ever had a squirrel come up to you while you're out walking around like in a park, & they practically will come close enough to touch, hoping you will offer them some tasty handout? Sure are cute little critters- always bothers me to see how carelessly they cross roads in front of cars, though!

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL...how did you ever train him to carry the stick around, and why is he the only one who does it?  I mean i know cats will pick things up once in awhile, but to do it over and over like a dog....that is impressive.  One of my friends had a white cat but she would only bring her toys to her, so it was not really the same thing as playing with others. She told me that she used catnip...but i never have...i thought it makes cats hyper. 

Last edited:

allmomskitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

how come some trees or tulips come up from where you know they had a stash.
We have a walnut tree in the backyard, and the squirrels can totally strip it of walnuts in just a couple weeks!  Once in awhile a walnut will sprout in the yard, or along the side of the house.  We know they were buried by the squirrels.  We figure the squirrels must be the source of the ticks our dogs get in the summer, because we treat our whole yard for fleas so the dogs never have fleas, but they always get a couple ticks! 

gcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Have you ever had a squirrel come up to you while you're out walking around like in a park, & they practically will come close enough to touch, hoping you will offer them some tasty handout? Sure are cute little critters- always bothers me to see how carelessly they cross roads in front of cars, though!
Hehe, a couple years ago DH and I were driving to downtown LA to meet a friend and suddenly we came across a substantial bump in the road. DH pulled over, got out of his car, and turns out it was a squirrel. It was still faintly breathing but still severely injured. Seeing those poor little eyes almost made me burst out in tears, so I took some emergency gauze wrap in our car first-aid-kit (meant for the kitties and us), crudely wrapped the injury, put her in a makeshift carrier made out of an empty laundry hamper and a towel (this was the only time when all of the scattered things in our car have helped us!) and brought her to the nearest wild animal care center where they eventually treated it and released it back after a couple months of hospitalization. I was coincidentally bringing Gracie Cat to visit the friends in LA and I could see from the little holes in her carrier that she was very interested in what the little creature in the laundry hamper was.
Thank God she was in the carrier, or else she would have probably pounced on and eaten the squirrel, which would have defeated all of my efforts to keep it alive.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
No, i have never had a squirrel come up to me, but i have had a chipmunk.  They too are cute, but i sort of stay away because they have claws and such.  Yes, the crossing the roads, carelessly, bothers me whenever a squirrel or cat does it.  The squirrels are careless but some cats just stroll like they are jaywalking.

how come some trees or tulips come up from where you know they had a stash.
We have a walnut tree in the backyard, and the squirrels can totally strip it of walnuts in just a couple weeks!  Once in awhile a walnut will sprout in the yard, or along the side of the house.  We know they were buried by the squirrels.  We figure the squirrels must be the source of the ticks our dogs get in the summer, because we treat our whole yard for fleas so the dogs never have fleas, but they always get a couple ticks! 
We too have an English Oak Tree with nuts, and the squirrels love it before winter.  They make a mess though because it seems they shell the nuts and drop the shells all over the place.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Don't you hate when they don't like what you make when you put more effort into it? Nap time is one of my favourite times of the day too.
It was even sweeter when both kids napped!  I spent too much of my quiet time telling the 4 year old to get back in her room!

We are expecting snow here over the next few days.  Great amounts of snow, that's what I'm hoping for.
Noooo!  Its probably the same system we are supposed to get.  I've got a funeral to get to and from that is a few hours away. And hair appointments on Friday. My son's hair is completely in his eyes now.  DD is supposed to be getting her first real cut!  Her hair is waist length and needs a trim.  She says she wants to look like Tangled (Rapunzel) when she grows up.  It was hard for the salon to figure time for the 3 of us on a Friday afternoon.  I need to go when I have backup (aka my mother) so I can get my own done!  If I don't get it done soon; my own hair will be waist length. It's like wearing a shawl...

Give it time!  I have the best crowd at my feeder when the weather improves and birds start migrating through the area!  In the winter my feeder is only busy when there is snow on the ground.  I'm not sure when the feeding activity "peaks" for us.  But I do see them coming with juvenile looking birds sometimes.  I love my feeder!  Except when the big birds come and eat like it's going out of style.  My kids are trained to bang on the windows then. 
  It scares them away for a little bit. 

miki

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
LOL- Miki loves watching squirrels outside. She’ll frequently paw at any little critter that passes by the screen door. She’s already eaten a mouse and a quail. Ferocious kitty.

stormi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

LOL- Miki loves watching squirrels outside. She’ll frequently paw at any little critter that passes by the screen door. She’s already eaten a mouse and a quail. Ferocious kitty.
Raine doesn’t have a high prey drive, but he does love his catnip mousies. He’ll paw them, pretend like they’re moving, paw, chase, paw, chase, and the routine goes ever on and on…

miki

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Raine doesn’t have a high prey drive, but he does love his catnip mousies. He’ll paw them, pretend like they’re moving, paw, chase, paw, chase, and the routine goes ever on and on…
 That’s an adorable routine. My two feral kittens, Calida and Merida, like playing by themselves with so-called “interactive” toys (even the Cat Dancer!) I live in the countryside, so we get a lot of visits from little critters every week or so. 

stormi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

That’s an adorable routine. My two feral kittens, Calida and Merida, like playing by themselves with so-called “interactive” toys (even the Cat Dancer!) I live in the countryside, so we get a lot of visits from little critters every week or so. 
Are Calida and Merida the tortie/torbie kittens in your avatar? They are so beautiful and adorable.
I bet Raine’s biggest dream is to one day have a little zoo of rats, squirrels, chipmunks, and game birds that he can try to hunt all day- or to have an endless supply of cat treats. 
 Unfortunately, I don’t believe that I have enough resources to let either of them come true in the near future… 

gcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Not flowers, but my cats love the lemongrass in their enclosure.
Thanks! A couple of friends have also suggested lemongrass. Could I find it in the “herb” section in a typical grocery store?

miki

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Thanks! A couple of friends have also suggested lemongrass. Could I find it in the “herb” section in a typical grocery store?
I’m pretty sure you can. Miki loves lemongrass and I buy it from the grocery store right next to my house. Good luck with the catio construction- make sure to post pics of your kitties exploring their new territory!

Stormi- Yes, they are! I found them a couple months ago hiding in a nest on top of a tree in my backyard, took them to the vet and got everything checked out, and have been socializing them ever since. They’re still both too shy to be petted, but they sure do love toys! What’s Raine’s favorite toy (besides the catnip mousie, of course!)?

stormi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow- that’s a very unique place to be found, even for feral kittens! You were so kind to take them in.

Raine’s favorite toys are Da Bird and Crinkle balls. He will play with Da Bird for hours, even when I’m running a sweat already, and with crinkle balls he will just bury them anywhere. He’s also recently managed to open one of our cabinet doors with a child-proof lock on it…