The Mega Pawsitive Fundraiser

Status
Not open for further replies.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
These helpful guys are called chipmonks.
Ba Dum Tsss! :lol:

Earlier this spring while on a wandering drive out on the edge of the eastern plains, I saw a borrowing owl in a field.
*Waiting for the punchline*

It's a burrowing owl, it does not borrow money or anything else
:flail:OMG that's too funny!

I actually had no idea that there was such a thing as a burrowing or borrowing owl. No wonder the poor little guys are endangered! If you know how to fly make your in nest in a tree.

:crackup:

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Man, this is a hard week. Hm. This will be more of a "look at the bright side" post, is that ok?

Today or tomorrow, the neighborhood is going to lose two 45-year-old cherry trees and three birch trees of the same age. They will be cut down at the construction site. Pawsitive: the city ordered all the trees to be replaced when the building is done.

The original farmhouse on the block was knocked down last week. But (pawsitive) the new building will be solid masonry not just brick veneer.

Yay? :yess: :bunnydance:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The positive side is always the place to look for good things! Healthy new trees and strong new buildings may make for a nice place.
My positive is that I am expecting my AC to be properly installed after battling the installation company for over a year. They took positive action when they discovered an employee had been active in deceptive practices. How many companies would admit that? Isn’t that admirable? It will be a major construction job for them so I am very pleasantly surprised that they have taken on such a huge task. They are also coming in August ( any minute now) instead of the originally planned date in November. Wow! I could have working AC again in summer! Giant Yay! Also positive, I was able to get the kitties from the room into safe crates before they got here! No kitties to chase in the attic or duct work! :lol: That is a big plus!:yess: When they did the original installation one of the guys let a cat into the attic. The cat loved it. Trying to get him out was kind of like playing pac man! Tee hee He was all over the place and could change directions on a dime! I am sure my chasing him would have made a hilarious video. ;)

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After seven weeks of average daily highs reaching ninety degrees, the massive cold front has brought a 72º morning here, with nearly half an inch of rain overnight, and the promise of rain for six upcoming days. The Deerfly, Black Flies and nearly all the mosquitoes have disappeared with July's departure, and it looks to be a good day for a paddle up to the lake and 'round the shoreline.

raysmyheart

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A very pawsitive morning in that I had a chance to sit and drink my coffee with Speedy by my side. :catrub:

1CatOverTheLine 1CatOverTheLine , enjoy your paddle to the Lake in the cooler, more comfortable weather, I'm sure! Great temps to be outside!:evergreen: :bluedragonfly:

Another positive here is that I have just read a story I have not read before - The Velveteen Rabbit ! This is my first time reading this story and I know I will be reading this story again and again.:)

I have so many lovely birds visiting my two birdfeeders, mostly purple finches and chickadees and I notice many of them are very petite, I am thinking they are very young birds, just learning their way in the world.:purplebutterfly:

I wish all a wonderful day.:tree: :daisy: :tree: :daisy: :tree:

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another positive here is that I have just read a story I have not read before - The Velveteen Rabbit ! This is my first time reading this story and I know I will be reading this story again and again.:)
R raysmyheart - Margery Williams wrote a sequel of sorts five years later: The Skin Horse, which was originally (1927) illustrated by her Daughter, Pamela Bianco. Owed to the fame of The Velveteen Rabbit, it's virtually unknown today, but in many ways, it's her tour de force.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So many wonderful PAWSitive posts about who we all love so much -- CATS, of course! -- and produce, and cooking, and eating, and nature -- thanks, all!
1CatOverTheLine 1CatOverTheLine and R raysmyheart -- I'm a fervent (or is that "fur-vent?) Velveteen Rabbit lover. My folks bought me this wonderful plush Velveteen Rabbit in a red stocking that came with a book and even a CASSETTE TAPE and I still have all of these. The story could be about me and all of my plushies, too, because I had quite a few and loved them all. Still have quite a few Beanie Babies and quite a few plushies. I guess it's inherited, because a lot of these belonged to my mom as a mature woman, including the alternate CEO here, who's a plush ostrich and does the duty of manning the IT Dept. when I'm away, and a HUGE polar bear who resides on the guest room bed, with quite a jungle of others including a sizeable toucan-type bird and small guys of various types mostly given to me by my dear friend who lives next door and who is also a stuffie fanatic. Then there's my Pokemon collection, my plastic dino and lizard collection...:sigh: I guess you could say once a geek/nerd kid, always a geek/nerd kid...:hellocomputer:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
AbbysMom --- Thanks so much for the quoting tutorial, very helpful!
@foxxycat --So glad you are enjoying your Maine vacation. I don't really go on vacation since I got the cats. That's a great idea to bring them with you!
Jcatbird Jcatbird --It is kinda like pacman, trying to catch a cat. Thanks for the visual. :lol:
@Shane Kent --Do you live near that big concert place in Ottawa? It used to be the Corel Centre, but I guess they renamed it Canadian Tire Centre.
That's my positive for today, memories of the good old days when concerts were only $30 and the gas to get there was only $1 a gallon. In Ottawa we saw: Bob Dylan, Bon Jovi, Dave Matthews, Brooks N Dunn, Keith Urban, Toby Keith, Montgomery Gentry, The Wallflowers, John Mellencamp. I think that's it. :)

Alice catlady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just saw a movie of the kind that makes it difficult to fall asleep. It’s called U - July 22, and is about Breivik’s attack on Utøya july 22. 2011.

I’ve been unsure If I should see it or not. July 22 has become kind of a national scar on our hearts and minds, and there was a lot of noise before this movie came out. Many people thinking it was too soon, and questioning If there should be a movie at all. But being a teacher I felt I had to see it, so I did. And I’m glad I did. The movie is horrible and painful. I was safe at home that day, but the movie still triggered so many memories. About the rain that was falling so hard it was like it would never stop. The whole country in a state of confusion over reports of a bomb in Oslo. And then reports of shooting at the youth camp at Utøya. I remember being glued to the TV and computer, before finally going for a walk, because it all got too much. And I rember comming home, finding out there was still shooting. It went on for 72 minutes, and 69 people died on that Island, where I had been many times before. We lost one of our students that day..

So, what can possibly be the positive in all this? Well, love.. pure and simple.. the movie worked as a reminder of why it is so important to remember the victims, not talk about the terrorist. And it is also important to always fight hate, in any shape and form, and to respect the value of a human life. I believe in love. I believe in the good in man kind. And I have to keep believing that there are a lot more good people out there, than it is bad people. On that day, july 22, one man’s hate took something from us. Something we can never get back. But, there was also so many people who did anything they could to help. Both in Oslo and on Utøya. And that gives me hope, and that is my positive. So I am happy I saw this movie, because it made me remember what I should never forget. :grouphug:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just saw a movie of the kind that makes it difficult to fall asleep. It’s called U - July 22, and is about Breivik’s attack on Utøya july 22. 2011.

I’ve been unsure If I should see it or not. July 22 has become kind of a national scar on our hearts and minds, and there was a lot of noise before this movie came out. Many people thinking it was too soon, and questioning If there should be a movie at all. But being a teacher I felt I had to see it, so I did. And I’m glad I did. The movie is horrible and painful. I was safe at home that day, but the movie still triggered so many memories. About the rain that was falling so hard it was like it would never stop. The whole country in a state of confusion over reports of a bomb in Oslo. And then reports of shooting at the youth camp at Utøya. I remember being glued to the TV and computer, before finally going for a walk, because it all got too much. And I rember comming home, finding out there was still shooting. It went on for 72 minutes, and 69 people died on that Island, where I had been many times before. We lost one of our students that day..

So, what can possibly be the positive in all this? Well, love.. pure and simple.. the movie worked as a reminder of why it is so important to remember the victims, not talk about the terrorist. And it is also important to always fight hate, in any shape and form, and to respect the value of a human life. I believe in love. I believe in the good in man kind. And I have to keep believing that there are a lot more good people out there, than it is bad people. On that day, july 22, one man’s hate took something from us. Something we can never get back. But, there was also so many people who did anything they could to help. Both in Oslo and on Utøya. And that gives me hope, and that is my positive. So I am happy I saw this movie, because it made me remember what I should never forget. :grouphug:
Coincidentally, Alice catlady Alice catlady , last night I saw the latest installment of a series called SHETLAND, which, as the name might suggest, is set in the Shetland Islands and is a detective story. In it, a suspect from Norway is arrested, and it is found that he is a member of a hardline nationalist/anti-immigrant group who very much admires that man and wants to continue in his footsteps, so to speak. I very well remember the incident, reading the news day after day and being so horrified, not only at the killings and the terrible mindset of the perpetrator, but also that it happened in a country that I had never heard of this type of thing happening in. I am still horrified by it, as I always will be. Mass shootings are commonplace here in the US, as are hate groups. These, too, horrify me. I cannot fathom how it can be 2018 and there are so many ignorant, narrow-minded, hateful people in the world. It makes me very sad. But since this is the PAWSitive thread, I will say that TCS is a place where there are many compassionate, kind, intelligent, loving people and that we will never stop countering the negative with the PAWSitive. *My heartfelt condolences for the loss of your student. And of everyone who was lost that day.*

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
thank you for sharing the jigsaw puzzles website you like, tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 ! :redheartpump:

the jigsaw puzzle software i use is Brainsbreaker. i bought it years ago, and still love it!

my positive for today is that i was given 15 lbs of hot (jalapeno) sausages! :cloud9: they're in my freezer right now!:banana2:and i got to visit with a friend's puppy too. although, puppy is 5 months old now, and weighs 50 lbs. he's a pitbull-boxer mix, and truly a sweetheart! :heartshape:

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello, Cat Siters! I have not been here because I have had a lot of trouble feeling pawsitive with stupid first world sibling/jealousy/relationship/being a terrible person/etc issues that is not right for this thread (or a public forum) even though I could use empathetic ears sometimes.

But this is the pawsitive thread and I am going to try to be especially because I went to an amazing Theology on Tap tonight that turned familiar parables on their head and really made me think, and I was able to attend a great workshop on being a trauma informed educator, which will hopefully help in the classroom.

And it's nice to know this thread is here and I can read it, even when I'm not in a place where I can post.

Also, why is my cat so cute?

Last edited:

Alice catlady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 thank you! :heartshape:The movie is well worth the watch, If you want to know what that day was really like. And Netflix is also working on something.

I think most people were horrified that day. Because things like that don’t really happen here, but also because the main target was a youth camp. Somebody dressed up like a police man and started shooting on kids, on an island, to kill the future of a political party he hated. I think the movie really showcased that, many of the kids thinking it was a drill because the whole thing was too difficult to understand. I like that the movie was only focusing on the kids, not the killer. It doesn’t teach us anything about the mind of the terrorist or how to stop it, but it teaches a whole lot about the price of hate.

I’m thinking about maybe seeing it with my students. They were small children in 2011, so I’m not sure how much they know about that they. They are going to Auschwitz soon, and I think it is important they understand that the kind of hate of others that made WW2 so horrible, is still there.

So, the positive. This picture is taken in Oslo july 25th 2011. The terrorist wanted to start war, he wanted hate. So all over the country, people went into the streets with roses. To show love and support, not hate. And to honor the 77 people he killed that day.

2158C257-0041-478A-8613-B8FC9689A00B.jpeg

And positive 2, something that has nothing to do with terror or hate, we are putting down new floors in 3 rooms, and 1,5 of those rooms are done. I can’t wait for the rest to be done too.

debbila

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After being in the house for four days, ( I can't drive anymore due to glaucoma ) I went to a movie and a delicious dinner yesterday. Today I went for a drive with DBF, had lunch out and then worked out at the gym for half an hour. I took a two hour nap after that! :sleep:
It was good to get out even though it was very hot today. :yess:

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I've been absolutely flat out lately and am still not able to take time out... but I did very quickly pop into an Op Shop next to my local grocery shop today and found this little guy:

He's handmade and so cute. I gave him a bit of a rub down and a new bow and he now keeps me company while I work. :thumbsup:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
mani mani , what a SWEETIE!! good for you :)

@jcat, I'll just keep on saying it, peachy or otherwise ;) because it's true. You're fantastic!!

we are putting down new floors in 3 rooms, and 1,5 of those rooms are done. I can’t wait for the rest to be done too.
I thought you said you-all weren't being noisy LOL

Here's a lovely photo I got yesterday. It sounds as though a few of you-all need some heavy-duty positiveness to offset some heavy-duty from the opposite.
...Just look up.

Attachments

Last edited:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good PAWSitive posts, all -- thank you! They're not just straight-up sunshine (we have a little too much of that here in la-la land, anyway) but they show how you prevail through life's harsh realities, which means a tremendous amount to me.
Alice catlady Alice catlady -- Yes, I should see that film. I have been fortunate to be educated from when I was very small, to the realities of life, without varnish, but with great love. So I grew up aware, but also knowing that my family loved me very much and were there for me. I think this is SO important in any society.
And Furballsmom Furballsmom , to add:
IMG_2659.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.