The Mega Pawsitive Fundraiser

Status
Not open for further replies.

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 im a Texan, although I live in CA right now, and I do love me some Waylon, willie and the boys! You're so right about working with the hands, too. It makes the transient work I do during the day that much more bearable.

I lived in El Paso for two years and in Fort Worth for more years than I want to remember. I hated that state and could not wait to get out of it. The weather was bad enough (why did people have swamp coolers when the humidity was already at 95%?) and I had never seen so many bugs, I saw 4 story buildings downtown Ft Worth covered with bugs as soon as the sun went down making all kinds of noise, were they crickets or cicadas or some other noisy bug? Nor had I heard of so many poisonous snakes, rattlesnakes, Gila Monsters, cottonmouth water moccasins, it scared me enough so that did not want to walk anywhere that was not covered with cement. Going to a park? Without me! Too many chances of getting bitten by one of those snakes as far as I was concerned. The people were racist, prejudiced, hypocritical and backwards and could never accept anyone who was from anywhere else. Now that was a very long time ago and hopefully things are different now. I never did learn to like what they called country music with its nasal singing and eternal banjos, so no, I don't like Waylon and the rest of the gang, but everyone is welcome to their liking. So I am happy to have lived in California for over 40 years and did not have to stay where I was not happy or welcome and I don't want to visit either. Here I feel like I live in Paradise with my four cats and that is definitely pawsitive.

Night time PAWSITIVE is that I found out I'll have this Saturday off work! I've been covering a lot of shifts lately, which is good for my bank account, but getting tiring with all the OT. This Sat I was supposed to cover for someone again, but their plans fell through. So, I can catch up on some much needed kitty cuddles!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I had to take two surrendered tom cats to the vet's early this morning to be castrated. One is friendly, but we were trying to figure out how to get the other into a carrier and finally decided it would be easiest for me to slide a duvet cover over the empty litter box he's been hiding in and take the whole box. Nobody else is at the shelter to help that early in the morning. Whew! He ran into the cover while I was putting it over the box, so it was just a matter of putting the cat and cover in a large carrier. :dancingblackcat:
Well played! I've done a similar thing with those zip up laundry bags before, but a duvet cover would be even better. Less chance for the cat to turn around and get out before you have him secured in the carrier.

Some of you may remember that I took in a litter of orphaned kittens last October. They were all given Halloween themed names. The three girls were Spooky, Spider and Tricky and the little boy was called Jack (-o-lantern)

NewKittens196.jpg

As I already have more than my fair share of lovely furries and as these kittens were all so sweet and friendly I decided it would be better to try to rehome them. I got in touch with a couple who run a rescue and the helped me to find homes.

Recently I found out where they went. All four of them have been adopted as "staff" at a Cat Cafe.

Spooky and Spider are at one branch in Kofushi.

Tricky and Jack are at another branch in Hachioji.

They're all within visiting distance and I can see pictures of them every day on the Cat Cafe home pages.

I'm so happy that everything worked out well for my little Halloween Kitties.

:wavey:

raysmyheart

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Norachan Norachan , I am so happy to hear of Spooky and Spider and Tricky and Jack being on staff now at the cafes! They are very precious as I can see, in your photos!

The sun is back today, coinciding with my day off, this seems a great chance for Speedy and me to go outside together this afternoon. It is warm enough right now that she is able to go onto the screen porch to get the sun coming in and she seems to approve so far!:sunshine:

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Recently I found out where they went. All four of them have been adopted as "staff" at a Cat Cafe.

Spooky and Spider are at one branch in Kofushi.

Tricky and Jack are at another branch in Hachioji.

They're all within visiting distance and I can see pictures of them every day on the Cat Cafe home pages.

I'm so happy that everything worked out well for my little Halloween Kitties.

:wavey:

Norachan Norachan - Sorry to see that Japan clearly has the same problems as we have in America. From the photos above, it's obvious that the "staff" is just lounging 'round rather than looking after their clients' needs. Typical café employees.

Our rain here has worked its magic upon the landscape, and today we're once more back in brilliant sunlight, with clear skies and with the temperature hovering near sixty degrees - a truly lovely day.

Just a moment ago, Peanut and Lance, curled together in the sunlight on one of the sofas - the very best of Friends for more than twenty-one years:

lanceandpeanutsunlight.jpg

Shane Kent

Crazy Cat Gentleman
Top Cat
Purraise
Norachan Norachan - The photo of Tricky and Jack reminds me of Kitty and Rusty in their safe room. More so the wide eyes I would get when I entered the room.

Kitty and Rusty outside the door to their safe room.

Now when I walk into a room they give me the look of "Oh, it's just you." or "Got treats?".

I think it is Pawsitively Awesome that things worked out well for your Halloween Kitties.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
segelkatt segelkatt Yeah! I have a YouTube channel and it's mostly -- you guessed it -- Waylon. I found out about him when I was a kid and I've loved him all my life. Willie, too, and Johnny, of course! But it's kinda like the old saying goes..."There's Waylon. And then there's ever'body else." :yess: My folks were nomadic between So. Cali and TX. My dad got born here, and so that's pretty much why we're here. But my aunt's still in TX. She made a big move a few years back -- from Dallas to Garland :crackup: I get my Texas fix, and lots of great family stories, going back a ways, from her. I love Texas. There are a few things about it I may not love, but no place is perfect, right? Same goes for any other place. But it's in my blood, even though I was also born here in L.A. *Oops, looks like I need to re-address that post to tinydestroyer tinydestroyer although it's also for you, segelkatt segelkatt *

Last edited:

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Another day folks! It was raining this morning but now is cloudy with occasional peak of sun. Got another bike ride in with very hard winds and got to keep up my speed around 15mph which is the perfect speed! I love all the pictures! No flowers at home yet. Forsythia bush here at work is blooming though.

raysmyheart

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All the talk of Texas has me fondly remembering a trip by car my parents, my sister and I took in my high school years to visit my brother in San Antonio. We entered Texas at Texarkana, drove south to Houston and then west to San Antonio and this was way too many years ago as I think about it. We drove during the summer and it was an absolutely beautiful trip seeing so much wonderful landscape. It was amazing as the landscape was well, so very vast, something I was not used to, being from Massachusetts. I am thankful for the blessing I had of that trip we took that summer.

foxxycat foxxycat , Honeybee is such a beauty! I love her photo!

tinydestroyer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am so happy to hear about and see your adorable Halloween kitties Norachan Norachan - thanks for finding them homes (and employment!)

I got to pick the music today, and in honor of tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 I chose a Willie Nelson / Patsy Cline station, which also played some Waylon. I'm trying my darndest to get them to let me make full Spotify playlists rather than Pandora stations (which are patently inferior in terms of selection,) so my music choice being well received was a great stepping stone in that direction! A major PAWsitive, since working in retail and listening to the same ten songs on repeat is cruel and unusual punishment. I'd love to check out your YouTube station if you feel like sharing!

One of my favorite songs, by a great Texas artist, also played on this station:

Covered by Willie, of course, but I wanted to post the original since it's better.

segelkatt segelkatt I'm sorry you didn't like Texas. Sometimes I don't much like California, for the exact same reasons you outlined, but I try and be open minded for the time I'm staying here. I've found a lot of beautiful places and people here that way. It's a big state, just like TX is, and I like certain areas better than others. So, even though I'm not going to remain forever, I hope I have some PAWsitive memories to take with me. I'll definitely have two California cats to be happy about for years to come!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so happy to hear about and see your adorable Halloween kitties Norachan Norachan - thanks for finding them homes (and employment!)

I got to pick the music today, and in honor of tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 I chose a Willie Nelson / Patsy Cline station, which also played some Waylon. I'm trying my darndest to get them to let me make full Spotify playlists rather than Pandora stations (which are patently inferior in terms of selection,) so my music choice being well received was a great stepping stone in that direction! A major PAWsitive, since working in retail and listening to the same ten songs on repeat is cruel and unusual punishment. I'd love to check out your YouTube station if you feel like sharing!

Covered by Willie, of course, but I wanted to post the original since it's better.

segelkatt segelkatt I'm sorry you didn't like Texas. Sometimes I don't much like California, for the exact same reasons you outlined, but I try and be open minded for the time I'm staying here. I've found a lot of beautiful places and people here that way. It's a big state, just like TX is, and I like certain areas better than others. So, even though I'm not going to remain forever, I hope I have some PAWsitive memories to take with me. I'll definitely have two California cats to be happy about for years to come!
tinydestroyer tinydestroyer A great song, about a great man. Thanks for sharing.
Yeah, I love Patsy Cline, too -- who doesn't? One of the great voices, ever.
Seems YouTube is killing the "My Channel" feature and putting people's videos into individual niches by artist, so if you want, you can try looking up mysunni1 (that's me) on YouTube and going to "Ol' Waylon": Ol' Waylon - YouTube and the videos are NOT mine, but compiled by me to share. As you'll see, most of them were made by an amazing guy whose screenname was Teddie488. He was a British man who LOVED Waylon.

Last edited:

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
tinydestroyer tinydestroyer - And Merle, of course - But I'll go along with you on Townes Van Zandt - the songwriter always "gets" his or her own material, and this is no exception. No doubt you're familiar with this version too, yes?

Something to be said for musicians like these, who grew up on stage, and not in the studio. When you hear them in person, the world gets a little bit better.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
That's fantastic! Have they been given Japanese names, or do you just translate their names into English for us here?
The human staff at the Cat Cafe have kept the original names I gave them, just written them with the Japanese alphabet. (One of the Japanese phonetic alphabets. They have an alphabet for Japanese words and another alphabet for words in other languages and then they have kanji, the Chinese writing system. It's insanely complicated. :crazy:)

So now their names are スプーキー Spooky, スパイダー Spider, トリッキー Tricky and ジャック Jack. I also go for names that can be easily written and pronounced by Japanese speakers, because my poor vet has trouble otherwise.

It's really warm here today and it's pay day! :yess: Off to spend my pennies on cat treats and more flowers for the garden soon.

tinydestroyer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
tinydestroyer tinydestroyer - And Merle, of course - But I'll go along with you on Townes Van Zandt - the songwriter always "gets" his or her own material, and this is no exception. No doubt you're familiar with this version too, yes?

Something to be said for musicians like these, who grew up on stage, and not in the studio. When you hear them in person, the world gets a little bit better.
I haven't heard that cover in a while! You're so right about a solid live musician. My grandpa took me to see two major events as a kid, telling me both times that I'd remember them the rest of my life. One was Willie Nelson live in Austin, and the other was the original run of Cats the musical. He was right, too.

Thanks for the YT playlist tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 - I already see some of my faves on here! I can't wait to dive in! Sharing music with friends is one of my all-time too PAWSITIVES.

It's payday for me, also, Norachan Norachan so I put through another online order of toys and treats to try. Always fun and PAWsitive to shop for pet stuff!

raysmyheart

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It was warm and sunny today, so I went along the yard, picking up bundles of sticks and branches that had fallen with the storms this winter past. I also walked close to the woods around my property and was able to get a few photos.
20180426_173743.jpg
I could see the red buds on the birch branches above my head.
20180426_173123.jpg

The sun was beginning to set, seen through the trees.

A list of Spring clean-up chores materialized in my head as I walked around the yard, which means the good weather is near. The backyard by the brook is still quite wet ground. I started the lawnmower and will do routine Spring maintenance as soon as I have a chance.

1CatOverTheLine 1CatOverTheLine , True Friendship is seen in Peanut and Lance, best of Friends as you photographed them.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It was warm and sunny today, so I went along the yard, picking up bundles of sticks and branches that had fallen with the storms this winter past. I also walked close to the woods around my property and was able to get a few photos.
View attachment 228746 I could see the red buds on the birch branches above my head.
View attachment 228749
The sun was beginning to set, seen through the trees.

A list of Spring clean-up chores materialized in my head as I walked around the yard, which means the good weather is near. The backyard by the brook is still quite wet ground. I started the lawnmower and will do routine Spring maintenance as soon as I have a chance.

1CatOverTheLine 1CatOverTheLine , True Friendship is seen in Peanut and Lance, best of Friends as you photographed them.
R raysmyheart - Awesome perspective in the first photo! When I was a kid, I used to lie in the grass looking up at the trees this way, and when I say, "when I was a kid," I mean earlier this afternoon.

;)

tinydestroyer tinydestroyer - Funny how there's nothing new under the live performance sun, isn't it? Dad enjoyed Hank Senior, and saw him any chance he got, but it was his version of "A Tramp on the Street" that made Dad take a look at Joan Baez, and later Bob Dylan. Who says old dogs can't?

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background

That song brings wonderful memories. My dad Loves country music and only listens to it. This song he used to sing along on the radio whenever we were going as we listened to WOKQ 97.5 FM. To this day they still play most of the same stuff as back then. I don't care for the new country unless I am in the mood for Pop music but there are some very talented singers even if I don't care for the updated sound. I like the old steel guitar and other sounds. And the lyrics.

This morning the sun was coming up showing a clear sky. Supposed to be another warm day. Starting my day listening to Willie Nelson is always Pawsitive! Thanks for the music! It's been a long time since I listened to this song. If you like country check out Dan Seals.

Everything That Glitters Isn't Gold

Bop

My dad used to sing these as well. He loved Garth Brooks for a long time-used to play Thunder rolls and we had so many good memories driving around in the big Red Van or the Army green Jeep listening to country music...I got my love for music from him and my sister.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Once again, catching up on pawsitive news. My daughter who moved to the west coast several months ago attended a volunteer orientation at the local Humane Society yesterday. She has chosen to help with the cats at their shelter! :yess:

Status
Not open for further replies.