The Introduction to Rad Cat Frozen Raw

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
STEEEAAAKKKKK!!!!!

The girls had steak tonight. Jennie had a full one once, cut in a few strips. Queen Eva had a half ounce, cut into smaller strips. (both had egg shell calcium with it) Mazy had two small pieces, heavily dusted with Vets-Best, she ate one of them.

Jennie and Queen Eva devoured their red meat and were looking around for more.

:D :lol3: Yep, we've got airborne cats - and in our small space, that makes for some very interesting .... interactions, let's call them. :lol3:
I can just imagine! :lol3:

By the way, I gave Mazy cat her first dose of egg lecithin today. She ate it right up in her food with no trouble. I hope it works for her.

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM. WE WANT MORE! Well, that's what you get for giving them the good stuff! :flail:

I really hope the egg lecithin works as well for her as it has for mine. Flowerbelle, who usually has the worst problem, I've worked up to half a capsule every day. In fact - it seems to be helping with her regularity too, even though it's not a fiber. :dk: She's had issues with constipation, and it seems to be helping. :cross:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM. WE WANT MORE! Well, that's what you get for giving them the good stuff! :flail::
:rofl: I was thinking the same thing - MORE OF THE GOOD STUFF!!!!!!!!

Gail - I am thrilled to be reading and catching up here. WONDERFUL :woohoo: Mazy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I swear that a raw diet brings out the BEST in our kitties on so many levels - AIRBORNE!!!!!!!!! :lol3:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I really hope the egg lecithin works as well for her as it has for mine. Flowerbelle, who usually has the worst problem, I've worked up to half a capsule every day. In fact - it seems to be helping with her regularity too, even though it's not a fiber. :dk: She's had issues with constipation, and it seems to be helping. :cross:
I have to thank Carolina for the egg lecithin suggestion for Pip's constipation awhile back. :hugs: It REALLY does help with constipation. He gets 1/2 capsule three times a week now and eats it right up mixed in with his Rad Cat. Who would have thunk it :lol3:

Last edited:

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've changed my mind about the bone for Jennie I think. I just butchered a cornish hen. I know cats are carnivores, but man, even the rib bones and wing tips seemed sharp to me. And I do not care to repeat the butchering experience, LOL. Though it was interesting to portion out single meals using all the parts (except the bones) of one animal.

I'll just keep on with buying my meat already cut up. And already de-boned as often as possible besides.

In the freezer, (in addition to the cornish hen complete meals) are: steak, chicken thigh, turkey thigh, chicken breast, and chicken gizzard/hearts. (all are one ounce chunks of muscle meat to be combined with .05 liver and .05 other organ when I get any, plus the supplements calcium, taurine and probiotic, fish oil 2-3 times a week):

I think I may have found a shop where I can get other meats, and hopefully kidney and pancreas, I am really in need of at least one more secreting organ. I'm going to vary the source of the liver too. Right now I'm just using chicken liver, but I'm going to add other kinds, depending on what that shop I found has (if anything)

I've ordered a free sample of the Alnutrin. It may make me feel more confident to add this kind of "complete" supplement a few times a week, especially if I feed more than one meal a day home made (which I am still on the fence about)

I am continuing to feed Mazy and Queen Eva one ounce of Rad Cat a day. Queen Eva is going to get her first complete home made meal tonight. Up until now she has had small chunks with calcium and taurine added, but she has not had any liver. Tonight she gets liver. I hope she will eat it!

All three cats also continue to receive canned food. Where we're at:

Mazy is 1/4 commercial (Rad Cat frozen) raw, 3/4 canned, plus .2 (2/10) ounce of muscle meat in small pieces.

Jennie is 1/4 home made raw complete meal (muscle, organ, supplements) and 3/4 canned.

Queen Eva is 1/2 commercial raw (Rad Cat Frozen, Stella&Chewy's freeze dried re-hydrated) and 1/2 canned. That is about to change, as tonight she will be getting her first full home made raw meal. That will put her at 3/4 total raw and 1/4 canned.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yeah, I order whole rabbits from HT, and it is such a PIA to get them ready to eat - feeding bones or not. :rolleyes: I know people enjoy cooking - I don't. I know people enjoy prepping their own food for the kitties - I don't mind. :lol3: But taking meat off bones, or butchering up a whole anything - not my thing.

I know I should work on getting over my fear of bones. I'm sure the cats would benefit. But I can't get over the fact that most cats eat mostly small mammals, and there simply aren't bones on a chicken that are as small as the bones of a mouse. :dk: I know ferals eat rabbits.... but how many of those bones do they actually crunch down? :dk: I can see using the rib bones, they seem really soft. Beyond that.... :dk:

Let us know how Queen Eva likes her liver! :clap: :cross:

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Queen Eva is 1/2 commercial raw (Rad Cat Frozen, Stella&Chewy's freeze dried re-hydrated) and 1/2 canned. That is about to change, as tonight she will be getting her first full home made raw meal. That will put her at 3/4 total raw and 1/4 canned.
I forgot that Queen Eva does not always want the Stella&Chewy's every night and my original plan was to alternate the S&C with the home made meal. Which will keep her at 1/2 raw (combination of commercial and homemade) and 1/2 canned.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Queen Eva loves the liver! Even Mazy likes the liver! (it was the cornish hen liver, do you think it makes a difference?)

Everyone had some home made tonight

Jennie had:
1 ounce of chicken gizzard/thigh combo
.10 ounce liver
calcium, taurine and probiotic

She ate it all, well everyone already knows Jennie loves her raw chunks.

Queen Eva had:
.65 ounce of chicken gizzard/thigh combo
.10 ounce of liver (I know it's too much but just this once was okay, right?)
calcium, taurine (she gets her probiotic in the morning)

Queen Eva dove right in, but needed a little Vets-Best dust to finish her chunks.

Mazy cat had:
.25 ounce combo gizzard and liver
a tiny bit of calcium and taurine to get her used to it
heavily dusted with Vets-Best.

She gobbled the liver, but needed another dusting of Vets-Best to finish the bits of gizzard.

Yeah, I order whole rabbits from HT, and it is such a PIA to get them ready to eat - feeding bones or not. :rolleyes: I know people enjoy cooking - I don't. I know people enjoy prepping their own food for the kitties - I don't mind. :lol3: But taking meat off bones, or butchering up a whole anything - not my thing.
I know I should work on getting over my fear of bones. I'm sure the cats would benefit. But I can't get over the fact that most cats eat mostly small mammals, and there simply aren't bones on a chicken that are as small as the bones of a mouse. :dk: I know ferals eat rabbits.... but how many of those bones do they actually crunch down? :dk: I can see using the rib bones, they seem really soft. Beyond that.... :dk:
Let us know how Queen Eva likes her liver! :clap: :cross:
I'm with you Laurie, I really don't like spending much time in the kitchen. That was, actually, one of my big drawbacks before I started. If I could get away with eating popcorn every night I would.:lol3: Or even better, cookies that are already made, LOL. However, I have to eat right or I can't function.

Anyway, someone elsewhere suggested I pound the bones down with a hammer type instrument. I could I suppose, but ugh, that's so much work. Anyway, it's always an option, it's not written in stone that I will never give Jennie or Queen Eva bone. Queen Eva already gets bone in her Stella&Chewy's, they are very small pieces.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Liver Lovers, LOL! :lol3::lol3: I just told them Auntee Laurie called them Liver Lovers. Mazy flicked an ear (she's sleeping off her raw chunks) Jennie said Feed Me and Queen Eva said "mmmrreeowmph"

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mazy is rejecting all red meat. It doesn't matter how small I make the pieces or how much I dust them. Rad Cat Lamb and the steak I bought for them, she says no.

Should I try pork with her? I have a weird aversion to pork for myself, so the idea of feeding it raw to the cats kind sticks in my craw.

I may just have to be satisfied with different poultry for Mazy cat. Chicken, turkey, and hopefully the cornish hen. So far they've only getting the thighs of the chicken and turkey, but I'll be adding some breast soon, just waiting someone to have a good sale. And she'll eat the gizzard if it's cut small enough. And she liked the cornish hen liver. I hope she likes chicken liver too.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yeah, red meat is funny with some cats. Shel likes it, but had issues keeping it down at first. :nod: Just keep putting a small piece down for her coated with her vet's best, next to the raw she is eating. :nod: Eventually she may take that lick!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cornish hens are just little chickens (:D), so she should like chicken liver if she liked Cornish hen livers. . .unless there's a difference in the way they're raised that would affect the taste. . .:dk:

My kitties love pork! But it's hard to find some that isn't "enhanced". :(

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
For the pork, the local supermarkets here carry Smithfield Foods, and it's often on sale (I only buy it when it's $1.99 a pound for boneless - usually loin). It's not enhanced - 65mg sodium per 4oz serving.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well the problem is, she did try eating it at first, but always brought it back up. So she appears to have made the connection somehow to red meat not agreeing with her. Since Mazy already has issues with regurgitation and tummy upset, I don't want to add to it.

I really think she has made it clear that she does not want red meat, and I guess I will listen to her about it. :lol3:

Since she is getting a much wider variety than she ever did before, I will have to be satisfied with that for now.

Mazy is getting, daily:

1 ounce of Rad Cat frozen raw, either turkey or chicken
2.65 ounces of canned food, rotation of two formulas of one brand, one formula of another brand
.15 ounce small chunks of either: chicken gizzard, chicken thigh, turkey thigh, and (not yet started) turkey breast, chicken breast, and sometimes some liver.

Since this is so far superior to what she ate for 6 1/2 years on the c/d kibble, and also better than the 8 months she was on one single canned food, I hope I can be satisfied with this for her, for now. I hope.:lol3: Because the worry is really wearing me down and I want to be able to stop worrying about her so much.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Turkey Thighs! YUM YUM YUMMY! They all say. Even Mazy only needed a little dusting, to eat her .2 oz of turkey thigh.

Mazy also likes the Cornish hen. Jennie and Queen Eva continue to enjoy any thing I put in front of them. :clap:

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tonight Mazy had .3 ounces (point three) of raw pieces. Gizzard and heart and a teeny bit of liver. Even though it was a small amount I added a few grains of egg shell powder calcium to it. With a small dusting of Vet's-Best she ate it all up and was looking for more! :banana1: She still needs her pieces to be very small.

Jennie had the same meal, but larger (1.1 ounce) and as you know, she is eating big chunks.

Queen Eva also had the same meal, but .8 ounces, and her chunks, while not as big as Jennie's, are quite a bit larger than Mazy's.

Last edited:

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mazy cat is up to .55 (point five five!) ounces of prey model raw at a time. She especially really LOVES cornish hen. She still expects a little sprinkle of Vet's-Best but I really think it's a routine thing with her now. She eats her rad cat, both chicken and turkey without any garnish.

Tonight was the second time she's had the cornish hen. After she licked her dish clean she waited and waited for me to give her more. I wanted to wait, to give the food time to settle, as, even though it has now been 11 days since she regurgitated, why push things.

She sat there in her meal spot staring at me. I patted her but then turned to my calculator to total up intake ounces for the day so far on each cat. Well, Mazy cat decided this just wasn't ON, she wanted more cornish hen and she wanted it NOW and she swatted at my calculator hand, with claws out. This of course got her nothing but a push off the table :lol3:

I think I'll be cutting up more cornish hen. Well that gives Mazy three proteins. Sure, they are all fowl, but all different, right? Chicken breast, chicken thigh, turkey breast, turkey thigh, and whole cornish hen cut up so all the bits are in each portion (except bone, still not doing bone)

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You know, after reading about how you use Pet's Best Hairball tabs for toppers, I went out and bought some hoping it would work for Perla so I could get her off of the Fortiflora addition. :rolleyes: NOPE, didn't work. But the others love it.... except for Pipsqueak of course. :lol3:

WONDERFUL about Mazy, Gail. You sound so happy. It does make us feel so good when we know they are taking to the raw that way. :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

p.s. Laurie's power is out. :nervous: She has very limited (and slow) internet using the generator. :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes: for Laurie's power. :cross:

Last edited: