The Forest Cat

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
My dear friends, it breaks my heart to be here again posting another Bridge thread so soon after the last one. I have to tell you all that our beloved Forest Cat is no longer with us.

ForestCat51.jpg

I found Forest Cat almost ten years ago. We were driving along a road that leads down through the woods when I spotted him crouched at the side of the road. There are feral cats in the woods, but he obviously wasn't one of them. He was miles from any houses, miles from anything at all. We could only guess that someone had decided they didn't want him anymore and thought leaving him in the woods was the right thing to do.

Forest had no idea how to take care of himself. He was emaciated and dehydrated, his fur was matted with leaves and bits of thorny vines, he had fleas and ear mites. But he was neutered and had been vaccinated at least once before. He was gentle and sweet natured, he allowed me to pick him up and carry him to the car. Someone had obviously loved him at some point, I can't imagine how he ended up in the woods.
ForestCat6.jpg

We brought him home and fed him. Once our vet had checked him over we slowly introduced him to the rest of the family and then let him start exploring the enclosure.
ForestCat14.jpg

I don't know if he'd had any outdoor access in his previous home. He was happy to go out and wander around but always came back indoors to use the litter box. He stared at birds and butterflies as if he'd never seen anything like them before. He loved snow. He would go outside and sit there watching the flakes whirl around him until he was covered in it.
ForestCat19.jpg

I don't know how old he was. He was an adult cat when we found him and so could have been anywhere over 12 years old. This past year he really seemed to be showing signs of age. He'd always been very healthy, but last year he had several gum infections and lost most of his teeth. His eye sight went as well and around Christmas time I noticed he was totally blind. He didn't go out in the snow anymore as he couldn't find his way back into the house. But he still ate well and enjoyed sitting on his favourite chair near the fire.

ForestCat171.jpg

On Monday he ate a huge breakfast and dinner as always and had numerous treats throughout the day. Just as we were going to bed I noticed he was taking a long time to come out of his litter box. I called to him, he stepped out, wobbled and then fell. He wasn't able to stand up on his own and he seemed to be panicking. I wrapped him in a blanket and carried him upstairs. I could feel his heart pounding, but as he lay on our bed it gradually began to slow down and he started to relax. We stroked his wonderful soft fur and told him that everything was OK, he was free to leave us if he felt ready to go. He seemed quite comfortable and closed his eyes as we stroked him. And then he was gone.
ForestCat82.jpg

Forest Cat, my sweet boy you were always the perfect gentleman. It seemed as if you waited until we were home and our day was done before you left us. I'm so glad that we found you and were able to give you the home you deserved. I've buried your body outside and it's snowing now. I feel like it's snowing for you.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You have had a terrible year so far, these losses just keep coming! Remember....."Do not cry because it is over, smile because it happened."
I am so glad to hear he passed at home, quietly, held in arms that loved him. He was so grateful for that day you found him, you gave him what he wanted most in this world, someone to care for and love him......
Death comes for us all, not one of us are guaranteed a tomorrow. When your day finally comes you will be greeted by so many loved ones you will be having a most glorious reunion! You have such a huge heart, and your soul is filled with so many loves! Thank you from the bottom of my heart for taking in and loving so many of God's special creatures, you will be blessed.
My heart breaks for your pain, i will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers, take care........RIP precious Forest Cat. You will never be forgotten, you will forever have secure places in loving hearts. May the good Lord bless and keep you until you meet again!

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Laura I'm so sorry. This has been such a tough year for you. That was a wonderful tribute to an amazing cat. There was so much wisdom behind those eyes. You gave him the life that every cat dreams of. RIP Forest. You will always be loved and never forgotten.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh no! I saw your post and immediately started crying because I thought this just cannot be happening again :hugs:.

What a sweet, sweet boy. He was so lucky you found him, and apparently you were lucky too, that he was put in your path. Words cannot express how sorry I am that he is now gone.

Run Free at the Bridge, darling :rbheart: Forest Cat :rbheart:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
If not for your husband and you Forest Cat would not have experienced such an enriched life filled with all the comforts of a loving home. :catlove: My heart aches for you but Forest knew it was his time to leave and did so as gracefully as possible resting on your bed. He was a true gentleman in every sense of the word. RIP dear, sweet angel.:angel:

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a BEAUTY he was ! He was so fortunate to have you come into his life and care for him. That photo of his fur in the snow is gorgeous. He was a beauty . I am so sorry for your loss...frequently expressed words, BUT really spoken from my heart. 🌹 ❤

Stormy accepts you

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My dear friends, it breaks my heart to be here again posting another Bridge thread so soon after the last one. I have to tell you all that our beloved Forest Cat is no longer with us.

View attachment 471582
I found Forest Cat almost ten years ago. We were driving along a road that leads down through the woods when I spotted him crouched at the side of the road. There are feral cats in the woods, but he obviously wasn't one of them. He was miles from any houses, miles from anything at all. We could only guess that someone had decided they didn't want him anymore and thought leaving him in the woods was the right thing to do.

Forest had no idea how to take care of himself. He was emaciated and dehydrated, his fur was matted with leaves and bits of thorny vines, he had fleas and ear mites. But he was neutered and had been vaccinated at least once before. He was gentle and sweet natured, he allowed me to pick him up and carry him to the car. Someone had obviously loved him at some point, I can't imagine how he ended up in the woods.
View attachment 471583
We brought him home and fed him. Once our vet had checked him over we slowly introduced him to the rest of the family and then let him start exploring the enclosure.
View attachment 471584
I don't know if he'd had any outdoor access in his previous home. He was happy to go out and wander around but always came back indoors to use the litter box. He stared at birds and butterflies as if he'd never seen anything like them before. He loved snow. He would go outside and sit there watching the flakes whirl around him until he was covered in it.
View attachment 471585
I don't know how old he was. He was an adult cat when we found him and so could have been anywhere over 12 years old. This past year he really seemed to be showing signs of age. He'd always been very healthy, but last year he had several gum infections and lost most of his teeth. His eye sight went as well and around Christmas time I noticed he was totally blind. He didn't go out in the snow anymore as he couldn't find his way back into the house. But he still ate well and enjoyed sitting on his favourite chair near the fire.

View attachment 471586
On Monday he ate a huge breakfast and dinner as always and had numerous treats throughout the day. Just as we were going to bed I noticed he was taking a long time to come out of his litter box. I called to him, he stepped out, wobbled and then fell. He wasn't able to stand up on his own and he seemed to be panicking. I wrapped him in a blanket and carried him upstairs. I could feel his heart pounding, but as he lay on our bed it gradually began to slow down and he started to relax. We stroked his wonderful soft fur and told him that everything was OK, he was free to leave us if he felt ready to go. He seemed quite comfortable and closed his eyes as we stroked him. And then he was gone.
View attachment 471587

Forest Cat, my sweet boy you were always the perfect gentleman. It seemed as if you waited until we were home and our day was done before you left us. I'm so glad that we found you and were able to give you the home you deserved. I've buried your body outside and it's snowing now. I feel like it's snowing for you.
I‘m so sorry, honey. I’m glad you took him in and gave him love and good years. He’s watching over you now. I know I say this each time,but it’s true. I believe our friends look after us the way we did for them. The ones who had nobody choose a somebody to look after. I almost cried reading this.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What a marvelous tribute to a fantastic cat. Those photographs are wonderful and so evocative of him. :vibes::redheartpump::redheartpump::rbheart::redheartpump::redheartpump::hugs::redheartpump::redheartpump:

RIP darling boy. You had it rough, confusing and for a while things made no sense whatsoever, and then fate decided you would be one of the truly fortunate ones.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So sorry for your loss of Forest Cat, he was a true forest cat and so gorgeous 💔❤ that first pic, what a floof!!! I am sure he is having floofy fun waiting for you at the bridge right now 🤗🌈 Forest Cat and you were destined to meet and I am sure he saved you too in many ways.