The Exercise Motivation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I LOVE Dire Straits! Walk of Life holds a very dear memory to me. It reminds me of my horse of a lifetime (RIP). And I'm working on making working out like breathing.
Years ago when I was in shape, going without a workout made me cranky. I hope to feel that way again!

Tammat, while I didn't have the flu, boy do I know what you mean! I hope you get to feeling better soon!

Did the Shoulders and Arms video tonight with 3 lb weights. It was impossible to get any benefit without them for most of the exercises. However, the tricep exercise that required 3 sets of 30 reps? I went without weights and my arms were burning. So, I think I did right by adding the weights except that one exercise. My hamstrings are still sore and very tight though. May try the foam roller after a bit.

Last edited:

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your well wishes Winchester and Peaches. Ill be back to jumping around in no time!! Yoga meltdown for me again today. Boy am I stiff from yesterday.
Keep up the good work everybody

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Good job, guys! Keep it up! (Peaches, 
 for your horse)

3 miles on the treadmill this morning.

2.5 miles on the treadmill with the fan running full-tilt (Rick went for a walk and he said it was nasty outside with all the humidity....no way was I going out there, if I didn't have to)

Last edited:

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did the Cardio Challenge video today without weights. Felt some burn here and there, mostly sweating. My triceps, rear deltoids, and hamstrings are sore so no burpees or bear crawls. I ran in place instead. Better than pulling something!

I made the mistake of feeding the cats before working out. They got the zoomies soon after and sometimes underfoot! Crazy cats...

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I have that problem with the cats when I'm on the elliptical in the bedroom. They seem to think it belongs to them and get a little upset when I'm using it.....not that they really have to worry about it all that much as I don't use it any more than I have to.

3 miles on the treadmill this morning

2 miles on the treadmill tonight (too muggy and rainy to even try to walk outside)

Last edited:

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ruben used to sit and watch me exercise and not get in the way. God bless him. My kittens on the other hand are banned from the room when I am exercising. It's too dangerous for them and me!! rascals!! What would we do without our babies!! Yesterday I didn't exercise and today I had no energy again but I forced myself to do yoga and I'm so glad I did. A little bit of exercise goes a long way. GOOD WORK EVERYBODY.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Banshee would do that, too, Tammat. Although she did like my exercise mat and when I was doing crunches, she did like to sit on my stomach.....I guess she thought she was "helping" me. 
 And she would often sit behind me on the chair when I was working with dumbbells. That would scare me a little, so I'd take her out of the bedroom and put her on the sofa with Rick. She'd stay with him, but only til I was done. Then I'd open the door and she'd come back again.

You know, Rick has always told me that on the days when I really don't feel like exercising....those are the days when I really need to exercise. I don't know; it seems to clear my head a little. Even just a little bit of doing something is better than doing nothing, even when it's just a little bit. I'm glad you did some yoga.

3 miles on the treadmill this morning

2 miles on the treadmill tonight

Rick and I dithered around for a while, trying to figure out if it was going to rain. We finally decided it wasn't, walked outside and the sky opened. Hence the treadmill.

Last edited:

ravencorbie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm determined to go swimming tonight. I have a membership at the college gym (where I am an alumna), and everything is packed in my car already (suit, towel, lock for locker, etc.). The biggest problem I've had is that I can't go right after work because they don't open the pool until 5:15, and my cat can't go that long without eating. Naturally, as soon as I get home after work, all I want to do is crash.

But I actually love being in the water, and would love to take some renewal swim lessons, but they don't seem to exist (at least here) for adults. I know it would be better if I could swim laps, and I can if I only do the back stroke, but I like going forwards too, and after about 1/4 pool-length of the crawl, I end up with too much water in my nose and I have to switch to the very awkward side stroke. But it's still really nice to be in the water, and this pool is a really great pool. They just redid everything about two years ago: it's a totally new building and everything.

Last edited:

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
RavenCorbie, is there a college nearby? I've taken swimming classes at college before.

I skipped the Legs video yesterday and did a 15 min walk instead. Then went out with friends and did a little dancing. I knew if I did the Legs video that I risked injury. Today I did the Chest and Back video without weights. I increased my pushups to a total of 54.

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
RavenCorbie do you have some flippers to wear? They are great. They help you to propel forwards so that you can then concentrate on your stroke technique and breathing. Your legs still get a good work out. You tube has some swimming lessons. That might help you with some basics. Another thing you can do is get yourself a snorkel. A snorkel with flippers is fun. You can swim laps with the best of them. A lady at my local pool used to do that everyday for a couple of hours. Even walking around the shallow end is excellent. Enjoy!!
I did my yoga again today. I'm itching to do more. Next week I'm planning to jump around!
Good one on the dancing Peaches.
Winchester you are a star on that treadmill. There was a treadmill in Aldi today ( its a supermarket that sells crazy stuff!) I thought of you and Andrya. Dont think this treadmill was quite like yours though!! They also had a weights set sooo cheap so I popped that in the trolley with my groceries. Look out next week. I have new DVDs and new weights. Yippee.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Wow, you guys are all booking right along! Way to go! And such a difference in exercise routines!

I've started to look at treadmills now since Andrya got hers....not really to buy as mine has a ways to go yet, I think. But it's nice to look.

3 miles on the treadmill this morning.

ravencorbie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I went swimming last night as promised, and it was . . . not what I was expecting. The last time I went swimming was about 4 years ago, but I don't feel like my lifestyle or activity level has changed that much. At that time, I'd make it across the pool (it's an Olympic sized pool), do some water treading, then do the back stroke back, and so on for fifteen minutes (usually 4-5 times both there and back, so 8 or 10 individual crossings). Last night, I barely made it across the pool and back again. So, I really need to do something.

There is a college nearby. I was thinking of googling "adult swim lessons" in my area, but haven't gotten to it. I've looked through lots of college catalogues and stuff and didn't see it, but maybe I missed something.

I did dancing this week, too! As some of you know, I'm doing Romeo and Juliet with my theatre class, and it's a really long play. I used to do Renaissance and Medieval dancing, so I've put in four dances that will replace some of the dialogue. One of the songs that the dance is done to is even mentioned in the text of the play later on, and it's probably the most important one. I used to do dancing all the time. I think I might look up something like that, too. I can't afford normal (i.e. ballet/tap/modern/etc.) dance classes, but I might see if there's a group that gets together to do contra dancing on a regular basis. I know there's a group that puts on contra dance balls in the fall, winter, and spring, but that's spaced pretty far apart.

I don't think I'd like flippers, but I've been thinking about some of the props people use for water aerobics, like the dumbbells and aqua jogging belts. I like going underwater and touching the ground, but I could briefly take off the belt for that. My mom said that using the dumbbells in the deep end can allow you to do some interesting core exercises because they can keep your body stable.

Finally, I am thinking of partially sacrificing my cat's health for mine, and just going to the gym right after school (which would mean I'd have to leave out some dry food, since I've tried leaving out the frozen nuggets, and she just eats them frozen), doing some dry exercise (likely walking on a treadmill) until the pool opens, and then going swimming.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
RavenCorbie, does she get sick if not fed within a certain time frame?

ravencorbie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, she's still a kitten, so I'm thinking that 12 hours is just too long between meals for her age. When she's older, I'm sure it will be fine. But I feed her at 6 am before work, and with the pool opening at 5:15 pm, there's no way that I'd be able to feed her before 6 pm unless I came home in between. She'll be 1 in mid-October, so it's not too much longer. I've been feeding her ~4 nuggets: 2 in the morning, 1 when I come home (around 4), and 1 before bed (around 10). If she gets hungry, I give her some canned food, usually. For awhile she was eating 6 (2 at each meal), but the last few times I tried that, she left a lot of the food, so it's back to 4. I think if I wanted, when she is older, I could do two meals a day, with 2 nuggets each, adjusted depending on her weight, although I'll probably keep it at 3.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I gotcha. Well, you could look into timed feeders I guess. When 2 of mine hit 10 months they went to twice a day. But mine are fine with it. Do what ya gotta do!

Did Ultimate Ball today. Got really close to doing a pike on the ball 3 times!

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Well done ladies! :clap:

I've been away on vacation and did get some walks in early on, but then came down with a cold that started to go into my chest. I'm on antibiotics now and not sure when I will be able to resume my walks.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry you're sick, Abbysmom! I know how that goes, and some antibiotics are just yucky. Be sure to look at all drug interactions, including OTC supplements. It surprises me how often those aren't mentioned. Something as simple as cheese can inactivate certain antibiotics.

Hope you feel better soon!

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome back AbbysMom. I too am recovering from a cold/ flu. It has zapped the energy out of me big time. I hope you recover quicky.
Today I did yoga meltdown again and some gardening. I was grunting as I was digging so I'm thinking it was good exercise! Yesterday I didnt exercise but it was a fantastic spring day so I took my girls out for a walk/ stroll. Today is the first day of spring here. Yay! I hope to get back into some running with the warmer weather.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I'm sorry, Karen. You take care of yourself. 

2 miles on the treadmill Sat morning (and that was it for Saturday)

3 miles on the treadmill this morning (Sunday)

2.5 miles walking at the state park

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.