The Exercise Motivation Thread - 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I got the results of 2015 from Fitbit.

In 2015, I walked 2,308,344 steps, which is 965 miles. That's only a little over 80 miles a month. There were months when I was downright lazy and didn't get much done. Still, 80 miles a month is better than 0 miles a month. That includes both my treadmill walks and my lunchtime walks.

In fairness to me, though, I've noticed that the tracker seems to be off. Both my treadmill and my iPod will tell me that I've walked 2.25 miles on the treadmill, for example, and the Fitbit will say that I've walked 2.03 miles. And that's frustrating. My route at work is 3.5 miles, if I'm able to walk through the park. I know it's 3.5 miles and yet, my Fitbit will say that I've only walked 3.27 miles. So I'm not getting the credit from Fitbit that I should be. Still, I guess it's a minor thing overall. Rick says that we need to get outside and he will recalibrate my stride and see if that helps.

I have to be careful walking through the park. When it's really cold, the moms and kids aren't at the playground. And if the park is completely empty (sometimes people will grab something for lunch and then eat their lunch while sitting in their cars at the park), I tend to be wary when I walk through. After heavy snow, they don't shovel the paths or plow the parking lot and so I won't walk there. One day, I started through and saw three men standing at the pavilion and other than them, the park was empty; I immediately turned around and came back out. And sometimes, road workers are working and roads will be blocked. Most of the time, they'll let me through since I'm just walking, but sometimes I have to figure out an alternate street. I can always figure out a way to get my miles in, but sometimes it's trickier than other times.

I will do better in 2016!

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had my first session for the year with Rohan. Back and shoulders. Last week I did two sessions of my new programme by myself and I actually did about a 1/4 too much without realising. Any wonder I found it totally exhausting :lol3: It doesn't seem nearly as daunting now. He also put me on the scales and my body fat was down and muscle mass up. The numbers were about the same as October. Now he wants less body fat and more muscle and by gees I am going to do that. I am. I really am.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Had to work all day Saturday, so did nothing active. I walked for an hour yesterday and two hours today. Loads of trees down everywhere, it took me two hours to do my regular 90 minute walk.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is no day without adventure, or sometimes it feels like so, camera liked to act up too, automatic lens cover opened only partially, hence waves:

Inner tube did escape between rim and outer tire, I was riding my bike and all of sudden there was loud BANG, which after rear tire was not rotating, good thing I was going only maybe 15km/h there, because road was annoying to ride, only two palm widths where to ride and other part bike did sink deep, it was like riding on a plank.

Also good thing I had my eyeglasses with me, usually I wear goggles and eyeglasses don't fit in them, but for some reason I took eyeglasses and camera with me. Using eyeglasses I could decrease tire pressure and surprisingly no damage to inner tube, so I swapped other outer tire to bike at home.

But that event happened about 4km (2.48 miles) from home, I could not ride bike back home so had walk/run with bike, part of time I had bike on my back while running as it felt bit cold otherwise, temperature started to drop quite quickly as sun was setting, so kind of adventure.

So I had about 1 hour of bike ride, 45 minutes of walking / running, part of that time bike on my back, also 25 minutes (10km or 6.2 miles) of bicycling as I visited shop after that, icy roads and I put summer tire to rear, surprisingly good grip and really fast.

That is around 2 hours and 10 minutes, but as first part of bike riding I did very slowly, trying to have heart rate below 110, I did burn only 898 calories or 1106 calories if BMR is added. My goal for today was to get 300 calories / hour, but because of tire issue and shop ride I ended up with 414 calories hour.

Ride to shop was 724.8 calories per hour, heart rate was 150-170 as I was bit annoyed and made run at maximum attack, it is wonderful feeling when after 1 hour and 45 minutes I can still push very hard if needed, all those hours sweating are not wasted, they clearly have effect!

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Norachan, that is a beautiful picture! Do you walk out through there by yourself? I think I would be a little leery.

JTbo, I'm glad you're OK; that could have been really dangerous for you. Looks like you burned up some serious calories, though!

Tammat, I bet Rohan thinks you're very bit as awesome as we do! Keep it up!

Mrs. B, I think you're really going to like your activity tracker; it keeps you moving because you want to make your steps every day. I know that if I'm within 300 steps or so of making my goal, I'll walk around inside the house, if that what it takes.  
 The cats think I've completely lost my mind some nights.

rpandcat, good luck with your MRI appt for your wrist. 

Good work, everybody!

2.5 miles on the treadmill this morning.

3.5 miles walked during lunch today.

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did my legs today at home. I'm getting the hang of my new programme.
Changing it up always makes it more exciting.

rpandcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Somewhere north of Mexico and on the ocean.
@Norachan

@JTbo

I admire you guys who go out into the cold. Norachan--it looks so beautiful. JTbo--In cold temperatures, don't you burn many more calories just existing? I would think it takes your body a tremendous effort to stay warm--and I'm thinking it's not just riding the bike, it's the ice and snow.

@Winchester I need to follow your example, and leave places when they're giving me the willies. Better safe than sorry.

I went to the gym today. It was kind of a mistake. I did some arms, and quite a few things that involved my wrists--things like triceps dips and reverse planks. The legs and butt are getting easier. I'm hoping to get some core back. Would like to "shred" at some point. It's nice having muscle. It'd be nice to get rid of the other stuff... you know... the stuff..

Did "flying push-ups" and something called the "inchworm." The pushups were a mistake. They killed my wrist. When I feel fine, I inevitably work out hard and then feel awful. The good thing was that one of the instructors and I had a conversation about nerve damage. She showed me a couple of stretches, and told me about someone that she knows who "activates muscles" (??). I'm thinking about checking him out.

@Columbine that is totally spooky!! It's a small world. Is that "German bow" when you go underneath? I had a friend who played bass like that. The cello is awesome--practiced today between volunteering and gym (I'm volunteering until I get a job--if anyone needs a grant writer, let me know...). After gym, I put the brace on--it's like an "Out of Order" sign for my hand. Bleh. But honestly--switching from the flute to ether cello or bass makes so much sense. No woodwinds. No brass. No viola/violin. The sax has a neck strap. Tried the lap steel guitar for about a week--it makes no sense to me. I keep trying to explain to people what music means to me, but they don't get it.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think it's simply part of viol being a different instrument rpandcat rpandcat . There are all kinds of other differences too, but they both require the same basic body position :) More info about viols here. Do try to avoid putting stress on your wrist - you'll only delay the healing process. I speak from experience ;)

I'm still keeping moving - flipping between time at the stables with Collie and yoga at home. Trying to build up to being able to do both in the same day, but that may take a while.

Keep going everyone - you're doing great :hyper:

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@Norachan

@JTbo

I admire you guys who go out into the cold. Norachan--it looks so beautiful. JTbo--In cold temperatures, don't you burn many more calories just existing? I would think it takes your body a tremendous effort to stay warm--and I'm thinking it's not just riding the bike, it's the ice and snow.
During warmer summer months I can't do much, even if I would throw all my clothes away, even walking would make me sweat really a lot.

I don't think that cold effects too much to calorie burning as there is always excess heat when moving, only 20% of energy turns to movement, rest 80% becomes heat in muscles, so level of warmth I adjust with clothing it is actually most of the time warmer than when not moving, if staying stationary things might get different, but extra calories are burned by shivering and that is not happening too often.

Here is some article about cold and calories burned, they mention 17.8C (64F ) as being cold temperature, my room is currently at 12C as it cools down during night and takes time to warm up for evening, I'm okay in t-shirt at this temp, exercising seem to boost cold tolerance some way.
http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2014/02/how-being-cold-burns-calories/283810/

Today it was around freezing temp outside, lot of wet snow coming down now, so had to move it, 46 minutes with 74% of my max heart rate, I left few paths alone this time, need to eat something before I continue and snow started coming down again, so I have to do another workout at the evening or tomorrow.

Burned 436 calories in addition to my normal calories, that was 566 calories in hour rate. As I had no breakfast before starting doing that I had little poor performance.
When I was lot heavier and in poor shape, having breakfast had no effect, now it has huge impact.

Some 2-3 years ago I would of not been able to move that amount of snow, it took usually 2 hours to move less than half of snow which I moved today.

Yesterday was quite lot of exercise but I don't feel any of it today, nothing gets sore or even stiff, at least for a year I have not been able to get legs sore, no matter how hard or how much I ride. I'm starting to think that maybe I need to change something to improve further, it is really amazing how much exercise helps you, but it might take 1 or 2 years for body to transform.

rpandcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
it's not that the amount of energy to exercise a certain amount changes with the cold--it's that when it's cold out, and you hang out in the cold, it takes much more energy to keep your body temperature steady and maintain it. It doesn't raise your metabolism or anything... I looked at the article--I usually like The Atlantic--that article is like a little blurb. It would be better if they talked about how much scientists have to eat when they work in Antarctica. ;)

I think your blood actually does get thicker with cold weather--I'm not sure it's just a saying... more red blood cells, or something. All I know is that I lived in upstate NY and Manhattan for 10.5 years, and since I've come back to CA (in 2005), I've become very intolerant of the cold.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
it's not that the amount of energy to exercise a certain amount changes with the cold--it's that when it's cold out, and you hang out in the cold, it takes much more energy to keep your body temperature steady and maintain it. It doesn't raise your metabolism or anything... I looked at the article--I usually like The Atlantic--that article is like a little blurb. It would be better if they talked about how much scientists have to eat when they work in Antarctica. ;)

I think your blood actually does get thicker with cold weather--I'm not sure it's just a saying... more red blood cells, or something. All I know is that I lived in upstate NY and Manhattan for 10.5 years, and since I've come back to CA (in 2005), I've become very intolerant of the cold.
Somehow body adjusts, like we as whole adjust to almost whatever if conditions prevail. Even food that tastes bad, if one eats it enough long one gets adjusted to it. I guess it is some kind of survival trait of adaptation :)

After autumn as weather starts to get cold, it feels terrible, but then after few weeks of cold spell, anything warmer than -10C is almost like summer, it just takes little time to adapt, too bad our warm days of summer are too few to really adapt, I mean right when I start to be okay with warmth it is over.

If I would wear just t-shirt outside, I'm sure I would burn a lot of calories, but warm clothing must have some effect on that as there is not much difference really between summer and winter, weight is lost about the same and eating is about the same, but during the summer I spend more time outdoors.

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chest and biceps for me today. I've been gardening every day this week so I haven't been out walking. Gardening stops me from eating though too :lol3:

Keep going everybody :clap:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
It's only Wednesday and I've just worked out that I've already walked for 7 hours this week. Sophie has gone missing again and I've been combing the forest trying to find her. So tired now.

@Winchester  Yes, I walk by myself but only during daylight hours. I'm not as brave as JTbo, going for 3 am bike rides would be too scary for me.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Oh, Norachan, I'm sorry about Sophie.....silly kitty needs to realize that she's got a great home and shouldn't be out there worrying her Meowmie! I hope she comes back and soon. You walk some stunning paths, that's for sure.

We had some kitty issues this morning with lots of clean-up. I managed to get 1.5 miles on the treadmill, but that was all I could manage. I don't know what I'll be able to do at lunch; it is simply pouring outside. We are due for a good 1-1/2 to 2 inches of rain today (thankfully it is rain and not the white stuff!).

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
1.5 miles on the treadmill this morning (as mentioned above)

3.75 miles walked during lunch (My grateful thanks to the Weather Gods for stopping the rain long enough for me to get a walk in)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Nothing today, but 4 miles walked each of the past three days.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Depending on how long my kids nap, we may walk a little farther today before picking up the girl I babysit. It's sunny and 14 degrees (57 F) right now, but quite windy. Normal temperature for this time is around -10 or colder (14 F).

rpandcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm unhappy. I got a lecture from my uncle (he's a surgeon) about not messing with my fingers/hand/arm/shoulder/neck until I get an actual diagnosis.

I was going to go to the gym this evening, but got the lecture instead. I want to go the gym tomorrow afternoon--we'll see. I can't not go. The class I take is 40 minutes--the point is to work full capacity through muscle fatigue to failure--if you're shaking, you're doing well. It sounds crazy, but it's completely addictive. I like classes because it's not just the teacher that motivates me, it's the energy of everyone working their butts off. It's also almost impossible for me to think about anything but what I'm doing and what muscle I'm working during the class--it's very freeing.

Sigh.

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I went for a 20 min jog today. I'm going to be doing cardio on Thursdays :D. I'm still working hard in my garden too. I'm trimming everything, today I was up and down a ladder. I love to garden.

Keep moving everybody and come home Sophie :vibes: :vibes: :vibes::vibes:

Status
Not open for further replies.