The Exercise Motivation Thread - 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I lost one of my chain spikes!

I had them on when I left the house, walked to the end of the lane which was less that 5 minutes and noticed one was missing. I went back up and down the lane but I couldn't find it. Where could it have got to? There is only a couple of cm of snow. It just disappeared, like my cats do.

There is at least another month of snow to come yet, so I had to buy another pair. Two and a half hours walk today. Still no sign of Sophie.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
23 minutes bike ride, ridiculously short ride, but our roads are mostly slush or soft ice, only road to shop is really usable at the moment.

Average speed was around 23.7km/h I believe, which is really a lot with winter spike tires, speedometer does work only if it is +20C or higher.

Average hear rate was 147bpm, I got up to 160bpm but not much higher.

So yesterday I wrote that I might of got my legs sore after running, no I did not, at evening they were perhaps bit tight, but today nothing out of normal. Technically it should be rest day today, but forgot toilet paper, today forgot Tuna, I wanted to try add tuna and cut down beef for reduce in salt and fat, so I could go for 3 meals a day while increasing activity level to get over 2500 calorie diet and around 3000 calorie expenditure.

I just don't know how would I really organize that amount of eating, maybe I need to bake pizza and throw it to freezer, but then what I would do? I don't have a microwave, nor a fridge, maybe I need to get electric grill of sorts to slowly heat pizza up, this new diet to support fitness is coming costly...

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
23 minutes bike ride, ridiculously short ride, but our roads are mostly slush or soft ice, only road to shop is really usable at the moment.

Average speed was around 23.7km/h I believe, which is really a lot with winter spike tires, speedometer does work only if it is +20C or higher.

Average hear rate was 147bpm, I got up to 160bpm but not much higher.

So yesterday I wrote that I might of got my legs sore after running, no I did not, at evening they were perhaps bit tight, but today nothing out of normal. Technically it should be rest day today, but forgot toilet paper, today forgot Tuna, I wanted to try add tuna and cut down beef for reduce in salt and fat, so I could go for 3 meals a day while increasing activity level to get over 2500 calorie diet and around 3000 calorie expenditure.

I just don't know how would I really organize that amount of eating, maybe I need to bake pizza and throw it to freezer, but then what I would do? I don't have a microwave, nor a fridge, maybe I need to get electric grill of sorts to slowly heat pizza up, this new diet to support fitness is coming costly...
Tuna on pizza is yummy too. ;)

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pushed a stroller through the snow for 2 walks today and shoveled the snow. I can't wait to get my activity tracker and see what kind of calories I burn by doing daily activities.

ghiblithecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I haven't been on here for a while but I'm still going strong. 20 minutes of the bike today and 15 minutes of the elliptical 

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Rohan suggested that if I want good legs then today I could sprint up and down Hensley Park Rd hill for 20 mins. There are sure to be many steeper hills in this world however this is the steepest in our town. I jogged there 10 mins and then proceeded to jog up and down for 20 mins. You would not say I was sprinting :lol3: it was 28 degrees celcius so I got pretty hot!!!! I chose to walk home. I'll be in bed early tonight.
Keep working everybody.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know how you do everything, Tammat! 

Good job, everybody!

2.5 miles on the treadmill this morning.

3.0 miles walked today during my lunch. It's way too cold outside tonight and the wind is ripping through. It was 21 degrees, with a RealFeel of 7. 

I should probably measure my hips at this point; it would be the smallest measurement I've had in a long time.....because I think I froze my butt right off! 

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure how I do it either :lol3: i do know now that we are much more capable of doing more than we think we can. A little nudge from someone else is all it takes.
I did triceps and abs with Rohan today.

Keep going everybody :clap:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
3 hours walk today. I think this may have been my last chance to find Sophie. I have to work all weekend and there is more snow on the way. I just don't think she could survive on her own out there for this long. Even if she is managing to catch a few birds it's well below freezing every night.

Poor little Polar Bear kitty, all she had to do was stay close to home.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Norachan, I am so sorry. She's been in my thoughts and I keep hoping that she'll show up again.

No walking today.......we have a sick cat. I think Muffin has a UTI or something. I was with her all morning before work and she has a vet appt for this afternoon at 2:45, so I'm taking vacation this afternoon to take her. The only other appt the vet had was for Monday morning and I'm not waiting that long.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
:hugs: Norachan.

I hope Muffin is OK, Winchester. :hugs:

Well below freezing windchill for the next few days, so it looks like the exercise bike.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Walked for about 45 minutes this morning, played with my kids at play group, took 20 minutes chasing them around to put their snow suits back on and then walked 20 minutes home. I was exhausted by the time I was done.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
3 hours walk today. I think this may have been my last chance to find Sophie. I have to work all weekend and there is more snow on the way. I just don't think she could survive on her own out there for this long. Even if she is managing to catch a few birds it's well below freezing every night.

Poor little Polar Bear kitty, all she had to do was stay close to home.

:(
Cats are quite incredibly good in survival, if she just can find place where there is no direct wind, she might be able to survive in quite cold temperatures, mine like to stalk surroundings under spruce trees, there is some places without snow and some coverage from rain and wind.

Mine bring in quite bit of mice and moles even we have snow here, so obviously they can hunt things moving inside the snow.

If there is old building or partly collapsed old shed, she might use that as shelter.

Quite good hunters they are, so it can be that she survives far longer than anyone can believe.

There are 15 to 20cm wet snow that came down yesterday and today, I guess my workout will be moving that heavy snow out of cat paths, I just don't feel like exercising, I would rather be under the blanket, but I know exercise is good and I need it so I guess I force myself to push the snow, how it can be sometimes so difficult to get moving?

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I did manage to get out yesterday and pushed snow faster than earlier times, I put knee protectors on my knees so I could lift snow lot faster without getting knees hurt.

It took only 38 minutes to get snow cleared, Average heart rate was 141bpm, that is right at edge of being anaerobic, limit for me is 142-147bpm for Aerobic training depending which scientist to believe.

Today I did bicycle ride to shop and back at 146bpm for 24 minutes and after that I did 13 minute run at 145bpm as an average heart rate, it was 165bpm at high interval and I did stay mostly there, but first minute was just walking so it did decrease average a bit.

160-165 is where my anaerobic range (Zone 4) ends and Zone 5 starts which is described as redline, I should not go there according to most guides. When I run heart rate goes to near redline and can't run very long until it goes to redline, so I have to stop running, even I might be able to push despite the pain on my side and burning in legs, I prefer to train safe way, not pushing too much.

Last five sessions have been 141 to 148bpm average heart rate, I'm trying to get my legs sore, but it seems to be difficult, also I try to improve my VO2Max and I try to build fitness for the running.

13 minute run was again split between running, then walking until heart rate decreases and then again running, 1.53km (0.95miles) and 7.3km/h (4.54mph) as an average according to gps tracker. I try to do that run often to see if there will be any changes in future.

100 meters were uncleared so there was 15 to 20cm of snow, but it seemed not to make much difference for the running.

I'm looking running shoes, Salomon have nice ones with good price, they are called Speed Cross 3, might be good as it is not paved roads where I tend to run, but I don't really have any idea about running shoes or socks that would not rub blisters.

Also I'm thinking about getting Polar M400, that might work better as tracking my rides and running than my current cheapest possible Android pocket computer.

Oh and I tested a new sports drink I figured out based on scientific studies I have been reading, 10 grams of raw cacao powder, 30 grams of table sugar, pinch of salt and 450 grams of water, put in shaker, shake well, that is good for 30 minutes and gives boost in mind and also in body, scientifically solid formula. You can increase amount of sugar up to 70 grams at maximum if you are really well fit and can burn more than 560 net calories per hour.
If really hot, or sweat a lot, then increase amount of salt and water to double at maximum.

Maximum amount of carbohydrates that one can take from drink is around 140, but only if getting carbohydrates from several sources, table sugar has fructose and glucose so it is giving fastest reload.

Technically you would only need that mixture when exercising longer than 1 hour, but I find that I can push harder with that mixture thus in theory I should gain more results, yeah, I wish :D

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I went for a nice 20 min jog yesterday and today I did 1/4 oval sprints and 1/2 oval jogs for 20 mins total. Hopefully today would have given me some fat burn.

Keep going everybody.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Thanks for all the support.

I'm going to keep looking for Sophie, I have my trail camera out right now at a place I found kitty footprints. It's just such a nightmare when they wander off.

One hour walk yesterday and today. 

I had a bit of excitement today. I was calling Sophie and I heard some squeaking and rustling from a clump of bushes. I went a bit closer and called again and a family of wild boar. mother and 8 or 9 babies, shot out. At the time all I could think was, "Darn! Why didn't I bring my camera?" Afterwards I remembered how dangerous they are and was really glad they'd all run away.

This is why I shouldn't go for walks when it's getting dark. Too many critters around.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have wild boar here too, I have seen tracks only once, but never animals themselves, I guess they don't like from wet areas where I mostly travel because roads seem to go from swamp to swamp.

I did order that Polar m400, then I did read that Salomon shoes wear quite quickly, so I found great deal from Asics trail running shoe, 48 euros and from that -10€ for because of first time order so that is 38 euros from them delivered, where normal price is 85 euros or even lot more at local shops.
It is old model, but for my little amount of running perhaps fine, my old pair of Asics have too many holes and they are something like 15 years old, even mice has bitten pieces out from them.

I don't know how many cats you should have to keep mice off from stored clothing, I have lost jackets, trousers, shoes and so on.

1 hour and 10 minutes of walking / jogging, I thought that as I had lot of pasta and meat yesterday that I could do run without eating, but I was wrong, I had at least 10bpm lower heart rate and it was really difficult to run.

So usually getting little carbs helps with that, I bought small juice from the shop, it tasted funny, so I did look date and it was old, not a surprise, it happens often with our shop, veggies too are sometimes a challenge to get because of half rotten etc.

Well, that lead to interesting journey back home as I felt python wrestling violently in my tummy whole trip home, I had to run straight to toilet and I have had several visits after that.

Average heart rate was only 136 and I used almost 200 calories less than last run of same distance, however surprisingly there was only 4 minutes difference in time, but it felt lot slower.

+1C so I had only technical t-shirt with thin windstopper jacket, still got quite hot, but last longer run I was sweating lot more.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It has been my rest day, I did finally got my legs sore yesterday so I thought that I will have good rest for one day and I did go trough some photos I have been taken earlier.

This kind of snow and moonlight were once when I rode my bike at night, but I had no camera with me then:

This shows work to be done, once again as cat pathway has got bit of snow, there is quite many pathways, they can go around and play hide and seek in kind of maze system, it is not much more than 15 by 20 meters but I managed to put some intersections and "mountains" there.

Oh and I'm again up at weird hours, it starts to be 4 am and this is how my sky looked about an hour ago:

Then again, winter is often most beautiful at clear nights, under the stars and it is so quiet that you can hear cat stalking.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
This shows work to be done, once again as cat pathway has got bit of snow, there is quite many pathways, they can go around and play hide and seek in kind of maze system, it is not much more than 15 by 20 meters but I managed to put some intersections and "mountains" there.

Oh and I'm again up at weird hours, it starts to be 4 am and this is how my sky looked about an hour ago:

Then again, winter is often most beautiful at clear nights, under the stars and it is so quiet that you can hear cat stalking.
Wow, you live in such a magical place! We get snow like that, but we can't see the aurora from here.

The landscape looks pretty similar to this part of Japan. I bet there are lots of wild boar out in your forests too. I've seen them a couple of times before. One time the boar came pretty close, but I was in horseback at the time so he probably didn't notice me. I've heard their eyesight is quite poor.

Yesterday I spent about an hour clearing up the cat's enclosure. I dragged out as much wood as I could and took down the broken fence beams. I need chicken wire, power tools and more wood to fix the fence, a big burly guy with a chain saw to help take out the rest of the fallen trees.

After that I walked for two hours, looking for Sophie.

I've had my trail camera out for the past couple of nights. I sprayed the area with catnip, so caught about 5 different cats on camera. One of them was my own cat, Jiro. Two miles from home!

There is another place a few miles in the opposite direction where I often see cat tracks, so I'll leave the camera there tonight.

2 hours walk so far today, but planning to do more yard work and walking this afternoon.

Status
Not open for further replies.